Immaturity on this site

BrianBalint

Why are the majority of players on this site immature and so resistant to accepting losses in games (that really don't matter.) They don't affect and licensed rating agency - it's really just a game for fun. Their etiquette is non-existent. I was taught, if you are down material (-3) or down position in a friendly game, the etiquette is to resign. Granted, some games are more objective and down 3 can be a win. But most -3 games are a pure loss. However, on this site rarely do people resign. I had a game the other day, I was +25. The other player didn't resign. I had more than half my time remaining, he decided to run and time out. I wish this was an outlier, however, this is far too common. This kind of immaturity never happens in OTB games. The majority of people are never like this face to face! I get it that this is a worldwide accessed site, but seriously - are people really this immature on the inside?  

Potato50012

I don't resign, but I won't run the clock down either, if the game is unwinnable I will attempt to get a draw.

And, I play that way in real life too. (Except that I am much better in real life than on Chess.com.)

JNM_2K18

Why should we resign? Sure, -3 is a decisive disadvantage and -6 is a loss game, but we might still get lucky. I'm talking about blitz and bullet. I don't know about yours. Those "immature" opponent of yours were either giving you the pleasure of "crushing" them or giving the agony (assuming you need to go to the toilet or urinal).

Potato50012

I don't resign because there is no honor is it, and does not allow me the chance to get lucky, as we have both said. Also, it is more fun to get a checkmate than for your opponent to resign, and I allow others that chance. If you want people to resign, find people who will resign and play them

IMRonilm1204

this might get locked...

BrianBalint

why should this get locked? This is still a civil discussion. Unless ppl are even too immature for civil discourse on the topic. 

blueemu

You are surprised at immature behavior on the Internet?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Aizen89

I poo'd today.  Hehe. =P

sameez1

Immature behavior on a site with adolescent members..Nooooo!

imsighked2

Yet another complaint about players not resigning. (Yawn. Stretch.)

ilovesmetuna

a mature person would know why chessnobs are immature, right ?

IAMBBW

Malaceth
BrianBalint skrev:

Why are the majority of players on this site immature and so resistant to accepting losses in games (that really don't matter.) They don't affect and licensed rating agency - it's really just a game for fun. Their etiquette is non-existent. I was taught, if you are down material (-3) or down position in a friendly game, the etiquette is to resign. Granted, some games are more objective and down 3 can be a win. But most -3 games are a pure loss. However, on this site rarely do people resign. I had a game the other day, I was +25. The other player didn't resign. I had more than half my time remaining, he decided to run and time out. I wish this was an outlier, however, this is far too common. This kind of immaturity never happens in OTB games. The majority of people are never like this face to face! I get it that this is a worldwide accessed site, but seriously - are people really this immature on the inside?  

You should only resign when its no hope of saving the position and there is nothing to learn from continuing. Their is no general rule on when to resign a position, it all depends on the position, the strength of you and your opponent and the time on the clock. 

RonPaulsSteelBalls

Have more fun. Profit

imsighked2

Sometimes when I'm down and it looks hopeless, I play for a stalemate. I've gotten a few that way.

ghost_of_pushwood
BrianBalint wrote:

This kind of immaturity never happens in OTB games.  

Pray tell, what kind of immaturity does?

reef58

I would resign against the OP down 3 with no compensation after the pieces were traded down.  That being said when you are as bad as I am never resign.  Most of my games are blunderfest.  Just yesterday my opponent was so eager to attack f7 he moved his knight to g5, but it was unprotected, so I took it with the queen.  I was so drunk with the taste of victory I failed to consider his next move of moving the d pawn which attacked my queen.   It was promptly taken on the next move.  I think I played a few more moves waiting his his next blunder, but I finally resigned when it was clear there would be no others.

blueemu
ghost_of_pushwood wrote:
BrianBalint wrote:

This kind of immaturity never happens in OTB games.  

Pray tell, what kind of immaturity does?

When I played in the Canadian Junior (representing New Brunswick) I saw one of the players (Nurmi?) throw his King out the third-floor window.

abcx123

Everybody is different.

ghost_of_pushwood

It's our one great similarity!