Forums

Login on to Chess.com

Sort:
DiniM

Whenever I first log on to Chess.com I always check which players I'm playing with are on-line and I make my moves first for the players on-line then I go to the games w/players that are off-line...It would be nice if everyone did the same...I think.

kohai
Its personal preference how members choose to play their opponents, which games to play first and what they do first when they log in.
DiniM
No Kidding?????  Hey Kohai, I believe I realize that much...but thanks for the info. anyway...
texaspete
Depends on what your preference is - I'm like you DiniM, I like quasi-live chess (without time pressure if I need to think for a long time) so prefer playing against an online opponent (and chatting). Others like to use the site as a correspondence chess one and think for a day about each move, and leave live play for the live site.
DiniM
texaspete wrote: Depends on what your preference is - I'm like you DiniM, I like quasi-live chess (without time pressure if I need to think for a long time) so prefer playing against an online opponent (and chatting). Others like to use the site as a correspondence chess one and think for a day about each move, and leave live play for the live site.

Right texaspete,  I didn't intend for that comment to turn into a debate.  My point is that when I sign in I make my moves on the games in which my opponent is online, this gives them the opportunity to make a move again before they go off-line if they chose to do it...sometimes I make all my moves and have to wait awhile...but nevertheless, it's not an issue nor is it a problem...

onosson

It's a good general principle, but sometimes you have a game where your next move is quite obvious, and other games that take some time to decide on the best move... Sometimes I just have to leave a game until the next day to make my decision, because my brain just isn't up to the task that day!

I personally try not to take on many games with less than 5 days per move because that's my comfort zone (for many reasons that have nothing to do with chess), and I never expect a game to move faster than its move time-limit.  If I wanted faster games, I'd choose only 1-day games.

DiniM
All is good, the good thing about chess.com is that it gives us all an opportunity to take our time (within the time limit) to make our moves.  Still, when I log on I look at those games in which my opponents are online and make those moves first  than I go to the other games...Of course, I have the option to do as I wish...and so does  everyone-else....
kohai
DiniM wrote:

I make my moves first for the players on-line then I go to the games w/players that are off-line...It would be nice if everyone did the same...I think.

This was the bit i was commenting on.. i didn't expect sarcasm back when i wasn't giving it !

texaspete
what was i debating? it was an observation.
carpman

I agree with both DiniM and Texaspete but I don't see a lot of difference either way. I enjoy playing direct with another on line but live chess is still a little fast for me.

DeepGreene
Personally, I'd like an account option to deactivate the little online beacon.  Just because I'm online doesn't even mean I'm within spitting distance of the computer, much less hanging on the edge of my seat waiting for the next move to come in.  Often I just flip thru the forums, too tired or busy to even look at my games.  Does anyone (other than my boss maybe) really want to know that?
kohai
DeepGreene wrote: Personally, I'd like an account option to deactivate the little online beacon.  Just because I'm online doesn't even mean I'm within spitting distance of the computer, much less hanging on the edge of my seat waiting for the next move to come in.  Often I just flip thru the forums, too tired or busy to even look at my games.  Does anyone (other than my boss maybe) really want to know that?

haha yes, i was almost tempted to ask how far your spitting distance was Tongue out

[temptation got the better of me] 

DeepGreene
kohai wrote: DeepGreene wrote: Personally, I'd like an account option to deactivate the little online beacon.  Just because I'm online doesn't even mean I'm within spitting distance of the computer, much less hanging on the edge of my seat waiting for the next move to come in.  Often I just flip thru the forums, too tired or busy to even look at my games.  Does anyone (other than my boss maybe) really want to know that?

haha yes, i was almost tempted to ask how far your spitting distance was

[temptation got the better of me] 

LOL.  That takes me (way) back.  The trick to that contest was priming yourself with a few slugs of Orange Crush before the match began.  Chess is so much more high-brow.

DeepGreene
... Of course, I would never actually spit on a Mac... Sealed
ADK

I just do that little song  ...Catch a Tiger by it's Tail...

ADK 

DiniM
Kohai, please don't take it personal.  I didn't mean to be sarcasm.  My appology to you if you read me as such....Maybe you didn't understand exatly what my point/preference was for the comment and in your reply you attempted to educate me on what goes on here...or that's the way I read you...nevertheless, do accept my appology...DiniM.
kohai
DiniM, apology accepted and thank you ... it takes two to be wrong in a lot of cases. I, in turn should of asked for clarification of the question, i didn't, and for that i apologise.
onosson

Two people apologize to each other on a thread?  What bizarre corner of the internet have I stumbled onto?!?

Seriously, I think this is why I like this site...