Forums

SUAT ATALIK- The Turkish Grandmaster

Sort:
e163026

Suat Atalik (born October 10, 1964) is a Grandmaster of chess. As of the October 2006 FIDE rating list, he is ranked number 187 in the world and number two in Turkey, behind Mikhail Gurevich.

He went to Galatasaray Lycee and studied Psychology in Bosphorus University.

He was born in Turkey in 1964, and represented Turkey in the World Junior Championship in 1983 and was their top board for several Chess Olympiads.

Despite this, and his current residence in Istanbul, he had disputes with chess organizers in his country, so he declared himself to be a resident of Bosnia and Herzegovina, his ancestral home.

During the 2000 World Chess Olympiad in Istanbul, Atalik insisted on playing for Bosnia rather than Turkey. As a result, the organizers of the Olympiad banned him from the competition.

After the selection of the new national chess federation, he has returned to play under the Turkish national team again.

In 2003 he took first at Mar del Plata.

On November 11, 2005 he married 22-year-old woman grandmaster Ekaterina Polovnikova from Russia. Former world championship challenger Nigel Short, who also played in the World Junior Championship in 1983 was his best man.

Ekaterina Atalik (née Polovnikova b. November 14, 1982 in Russia) is a Woman Grandmaster and International master of chess. She is currently (January 2008) rated 2408. Her highest rating achieved is 2414.

In April 2006 she became European Champion, winning the 7th European Women Chess Championship in Kusadasi (Turkey).

Suat Atalik was the only Grandmaster registered in Turkish Chess Federation in Turkey beginning in 1994 and ending in 2005, when Mikhail Gurevich took up residence there. But he is yet the only Turkish GM from Turkey. At the moment strong junior players like Mert Erdogdu or Umut Atakisi  are considered to be the 2nd GM within 10 years.

THESE ARE SOME NOTABLE GAMES OF SUAT ATALIK

Suat and Ekaterina ATALIK 

AND this game is Wife vs. Husband

FIDE rating card for Suat ATALIK 

FIDE rating card for Ekaterina ATALIK 

Refecences

Wikipedia, Chessgames, Turkish Chess Federation 

monalisa
Maybe you have forgotten a certain Turkish Grand Master and Correspondence World Champion, namely Tunc Hamarat?
rssems
Teşekkürler bilgiler için,yakın zamanda geniş olacak inceleyeceğim inşallah.
e163026
Thanks for the information he is a grandmaster and he is a Turk but he is in Austria Chess Federation i think thats why he is not metioned in this article.
e163026
rss_ems wrote: TeÅ�ekkürler bilgiler için,yakın zamanda geniÅ� olacak inceleyeceÄ�im inÅ�allah.

rica ederim:)

monalisa
I think he bears more mention the Mikhail Gurevich who is about as Turkish as I am :( If this post is about Turkish chess players how about a bio on Tunc? And could you please keep this in English if you want to speak your native tongue, private messages are the way to go !!
e163026

This is not about Turkish chess players the topic is "SUAT ATALIK- The turkish grandmaster" not "Turkish Chess Players"

I hope i will prepare  Tunc Hamarats bio soon! And for the turkish language he just said "i will examine the topic when i can thanks for the post" no bad language dont worry!!!!

chessoholicalien

Why didn't you do an article on Turkish #1 Mikhail Gurevich - because he's not Turkish?

mansuur

Takipteki paylaşımı hem hatırlayayım hem de hatırlatayım istedim happy.png

ChrisWainscott
Suat is a great guy! I spent a bit of time hanging out with him in Europe on the Chess Train in 2016.