What if Pragga is the new Bobby Fischer/Morphy and Wins the Candidates in 2020?

SeniorPatzer

Suppose the Indian Chess Prodigy wins the World Cup in 2019 and qualifies for the Candidates Tournament in 2020.  And lo-and-behold, let's say he wins the Candidates in 2020, and earns the right to face Magnus for the WCC title when Pragga is just 15 or 16 years old!

Pragga is like the Human AlphaZero.  He just learns and grows at an exponential rate.  And he'll be facing King Magnus who's nearly twice his age for the World Title in 2020.  

Pragga is a hungry, magnificent Beast who's ready to demolish all human chess understanding and assume the throne in 2020.  He wants Magnus, and he wants him bad.  Payback for Vishy, and the cheering throngs in India fuel him.

Meanwhile King Magnus is 29, closing in on 30.  Peak Chess years, and completely unwilling to yield his throne to the blazing young Indian Meteor.   He's looking forward to the match, too.

Wow, that would be a heckuva match for the whole world to follow and see, yes?

fightingbob

"...heckuva match for the whole world to follow and see, yes?"

Yes, or God I hope so after the last WCC match.

SeniorPatzer

It's a totally far-fetched scenario, but if it did happen, I could see Vishy Anand being one of Pragga's Seconds.

knighttour2

I doubt he'll even make the World Cup.  He has to win the world junior, the world U16, or finish near the top of an Asian Zonal just to qualify, and those are tough.  His rating right now is in the low 2500s.  I think the last winners of the youth tournaments were in the 2600s and the zonals are brutal.  Outside of the small nation winner and the African players, the average world cup player is in the high 2600s.

He probably won't improve exponentially.  Most slow down at some point and many of the world's top youngsters don't become elite.  I've actually seen some of his games and he plays pretty slowly and often gets into time trouble, which seems to indicate that he's not ready to take a huge jump.

Not sure why you're so focused on him anyway.  There are two Uzbek juniors, Abdussaturov and Sindarov, who are the same age and possibly even stronger. happy.png

lfPatriotGames

Never heard of him. But if either he, or my grandmother, or pretty much anyone else would play in the next world championship its a guarantee it would be more exciting than this one. I know some people get really excited at the thought of 12 consecutive draws, but I'm pretty sure those are the same people that get excited watching paint dry.

kamalakanta

Pragga is indeed a great player, as Axel Bachman, a 2600 FIDE player, found out in the 2016 Isle of Man Tournament!

SeniorPatzer
knighttour2 wrote:

I doubt he'll even make the World Cup.  He has to win the world junior, the world U16, or finish near the top of an Asian Zonal just to qualify, and those are tough.  His rating right now is in the low 2500s.  I think the last winners of the youth tournaments were in the 2600s and the zonals are brutal.  Outside of the small nation winner and the African players, the average world cup player is in the high 2600s.

He probably won't improve exponentially.  Most slow down at some point and many of the world's top youngsters don't become elite.  I've actually seen some of his games and he plays pretty slowly and often gets into time trouble, which seems to indicate that he's not ready to take a huge jump.

Not sure why you're so focused on him anyway.  There are two Uzbek juniors, Abdussaturov and Sindarov, who are the same age and possibly even stronger.

Pragga played in the 2018 Tata Steel India Blitz tournament, and in the last round he either drew or beat Hikaru Nakamura which allowed Vishy to make the playoffs against Naka.  (Which Vishy won).

That was incredible.

kamalakanta

Again, this next game is a victory against Pavel Eljanov, a +2700 FIDE player! Not onlynthat, tye maturity displayed in this game is incredible for a 13 year-old!

SeniorPatzer
kamalakanta wrote:

Again, this next game is a victory against Pavel Eljanov, a +2700 FIDE player! Not onlynthat, tye maturity displayed in this game is incredible for a 13 year-old!

Thanks for posting Pragga's games, Kamalakanta.

If I recall correctly, wasn't Bobby Fischer in the Candidates Matches when he was 15 or so?  

Anyways, Pragga also has a fellow Indian teen who's also incredible, Nihal Sarin.  With the Uzbek prodigies, they are rapid up-and-comers.

Sarin says that Pragga is an incredible calculator.  He has an older sister who is an IM or WIM, and he has GM trainers.  He's fearless against 2700's, and squared up strong against the chess.com Speed Chess Champ Hikaru Nakamura.

ed1975

When did Morphy ever play any Candidates' matches? wink.png

IpswichMatt
SeniorPatzer wrote:

Pragga played in the 2018 Tata Steel India Blitz tournament, and in the last round he either drew or beat Hikaru Nakamura which allowed Vishy to make the playoffs against Naka.  (Which Vishy won).

That was incredible.

It was a draw, write up here:

https://www.chess.com/news/view/anand-wins-tata-steel-chess-india-blitz

But if that Vishy bloke won the whole tournament maybe he will be the next challenger to Magnus?

On the other hand - it's going to be Caruana again

SeniorPatzer

Magnus's dad and his family sacrificed when Magnus was 13 to travel all over the world and get Magnus his GM norms.  

I'm just guessing, but for all the traveling and training Pragga does, it's probably sponsored by the government of India.   

Prodigy + Intense Passion for the game + No Money Problems = World Championship Candidate.   Sooner rather than later.

kamalakanta

You are very welcome!

SeniorPatzer

Pragga is playing in the Challenger group of 2019 Tata.  If he does well, top 3, or wins it, watch out!!

P.S.  There's also a German wunderkind who is also amazing, Martin Kaymer.  

knighttour2

I checked the player list and he's in the bottom half in terms of rating.  Usually that tourney is won by a top player.  I think Wei Yi won it a few years ago and won nearly every game.  My bet would be on the favorites like Korobov.

kamalakanta

Morphy played the Candidates in 1857.....

lfPatriotGames
SeniorPatzer wrote:

Pragga is playing in the Challenger group of 2019 Tata.  If he does well, top 3, or wins it, watch out!!

P.S.  There's also a German wunderkind who is also amazing, Martin Kaymer.  

He's already been world number one. I dont think he will do it again.

stiggling
SeniorPatzer wrote:

What if Pragga is the new Bobby Fischer/Morphy

I'm so very sorry, I have bad news for you sad.png

Pragga is not from the United States. He is from India, so he will be the next Anand, not the next Morphy or Fischer.

Also, AFAIK, neither Morphy nor Fischer ever won a candidates tournament grin.png

Jenium

Pragga is definitely someone to watch out in the next years... 2020 might be a bit early though...

SeniorPatzer
Jenium wrote:

Pragga is definitely someone to watch out in the next years... 2020 might be a bit early though...

Well, I agree.  But you never know.  Fischer was in the Candidates as a teen wasn't he?  Magnus was #1 rated player in the world at 19.

In the Age of Computers you take a preternaturally gifted prodigy who loves the game with the backing of the Indian government, and all the Indian GMs training him, well strange and incredibly wonderful things could happen in an accelerated timeline.