What if Pragga is the new Bobby Fischer/Morphy and Wins the Candidates in 2020?

knighttour2

He has more hype, which is why you have the cameras.  It doesn't mean he's better.

SeniorPatzer
knighttour2 wrote:

He has more hype, which is why you have the cameras.  It doesn't mean he's better.

 

He certainly has the hype, no doubt about it.  And in a large sense, I feel for the young boy.  That's a tremendous amount of pressure!!  Oh my goodness.  It's too much for adults, let alone a 13-year old boy.

 

But does his ability, talent, skills, and results justify the hype?  Maybe, maybe not.  And my post is certainly part of that hype.   But when he already plays Wesley So and Hikaru Nakamura (former 2800 players) tough at 13, and he's got deep passion for the game, and a will to work hard and train hard, and the backing of the Indian government and people, that's just about the Perfect Storm for something incredible.

SeniorPatzer
knighttour2 wrote:

Why do you think he's more special than the Uzbek prodigies?  There have been a number of 13-14 YO GMs and most of them aren't yet world class and many of struggled to make the top, like Parmigan (sp?) Negi or Bu Xiangzi.  The games I've seen he looks like a typical 2550 or so GM, which is nice, but not getting you to the WCC or the Candidates or even the World Cup.  He needs several leaps before he gets there.  

 

Uzbekistan is definitely strong!  They recently won the team U-16 Youth Team Championship.  They were the top-seeded team and had 4 players rated over 2500!  Wow.  If I'm not mistaken, Uzbekistan is not a large country, population wise.  Very, very impressive.

Debistro
SeniorPatzer wrote:
knighttour2 wrote:

Why do you think he's more special than the Uzbek prodigies?  There have been a number of 13-14 YO GMs and most of them aren't yet world class and many of struggled to make the top, like Parmigan (sp?) Negi or Bu Xiangzi.  The games I've seen he looks like a typical 2550 or so GM, which is nice, but not getting you to the WCC or the Candidates or even the World Cup.  He needs several leaps before he gets there.  

 

Uzbekistan is definitely strong!  They recently won the team U-16 Youth Team Championship.  They were the top-seeded team and had 4 players rated over 2500!  Wow.  If I'm not mistaken, Uzbekistan is not a large country, population wise.  Very, very impressive.

Not really, because over there, their culture is not like American/Western culture. Chess is something socially accepted and popular. Why do you think Iceland has many GMs? Cos they got nothing better to do than play chess and their country is pretty cold/barren and people stay indoors mostly. That is why we have many grandmasters from all those "unknown" countries that would never make the news. Basically those people have nothing better to do than play chess.

IpswichMatt
Debistro wrote:

Why do you think Iceland has many GMs? Cos they got nothing better to do than play chess and their country is pretty cold/barren and people stay indoors mostly.

Hmm, no job at the Iceland Tourist Board for you

fabelhaft

Praggnanandhaa would improve quite a bit on Fischer if he won the next Candidates, he will be 14 years old when it is played. Fischer was 19 when he played his second Candidates, and didn't reach top three in his first two.

SeniorPatzer
fabelhaft wrote:

Praggnanandhaa would improve quite a bit on Fischer if he won the next Candidates, he will be 14 years old when it is played. Fischer was 19 when he played his second Candidates, and didn't reach top three in his first two.

 

It is remotely possible, although quite unlikely, that Pragga could play in 3 Candidates Tournaments before he's 20.  Ages 15, 17, and 19.  

knighttour2

Quite unlikely is putting it mildly.  His rating needs to jump about 250 points for him to be on par with the other Candidates.  The weakest player at the last event was #13 in the world.

kamalakanta

The sky is the limit for this boy.....

Redlynx17

It would take more than just winning the candidates to put him in the same sentence as Fischer or Morphy. We'll find out in the next 5 years. 

ChosenEinstein

If he is the next Bobby Fischer. then he is going to lose and run away