Forums

Who is better Kasparov or Anand?

Sort:
cpraag3

Who is better Kasparov or Anand?

Burke

The only fair test is head to head competition. They did that and for the biggest stakes possible. Kasparov won and won fairly easily. It's easy to say that Anand is better now and a rematch might be different, but Kasparov is retired so there is only the same kind of speculation as to "who would win in a rematch between Capa and Alekhine". No one knows. But we do now what happened. The only fair answer is that, when they played for the title, Kasparov won. I see you are from India so maybe that hurts, but no matter. Anand is champion now and he is a very worthy champion and all he can do is beat the guy across the board from him, not the ghost of Kasparov.  

Cry_Wolf

Anand is a great player, but as far as world champions are concerned, he's nothing special. Seems like a bit of an oxymoron, but there's a decent bit of truth to it. I guess to strictly answer your question, it is probably true that Anand is a better player right now, but we must consider that Kasparov has been retired for a few years. In his prime, I believe Kasparov would destroy Anand in his prime. Really the only player to compete at Kasparov's level was Fischer, but unfortunately there was never a Fischer-Kasparov match.

Frankdawg

Today Anand would probably beat Kasparov since Anand is a defending world champ that is always focusing on chess where as Kasparov has retired and not training for years. Hard work beats talent.

However back when Kasparov was working hard at chess nobody was better than him.

mselvan

I'm  tamil, so i'd like say anand, but the reality is that Kasparov is second to only Fischer (maybe Morphy). But it still would be an immense game

Arctor

Classical games: Garry Kasparov beat Viswanathan Anand 16 to 6, with 32 draws.
Including rapid/exhibition games: Garry Kasparov beat Viswanathan Anand 26 to 8, with 43 draws.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/ezsearch.pl?search=kasparov+anand

Senthiloo7

Kasporov is a legend of chess...thr is n thr wil be no replacmnt 4 him

fabelhaft
Arctor wrote:

Classical games: Garry Kasparov beat Viswanathan Anand 16 to 6, with 32 draws.
Including rapid/exhibition games: Garry Kasparov beat Viswanathan Anand 26 to 8, with 43 draws.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/ezsearch.pl?search=kasparov+anand

Those stats are wrong though, stats at chessgames.com are usually not even close to be correct but here it's not that far off. Kasparov had 15-3 in wins against Anand in classical chess. Anand had a good start and had 2-1 initially but then Kasparov went 14-1 in their last 15 decisive games.

StevenBailey13

Not even a question.

hakim2005

both are the best

Aiban11

Vishwanathan is the strongest blitz player in the world

jambyvedar

Kasparov of course..

nameno1had

Carlsen

gambit-man
[COMMENT DELETED]
jambyvedar
manoocena wrote:

Kasparov is the strongest chess player we have ever had that includes fischer. He has proved it over the course of his career and refuting that is just idiotic. 

Yup, Kasparov has meet many criteria to be regarded as the best..

ChessisGood

@mselvan: Since when was Kasparov second to Fischer?

jimmysunny

Wikipedia says "Louis de La Bourdonnais"  the world's strongest player from 1821 to his death in 1840. 

a columnist in Fraser's Magazine wrote

"At present de La Bourdonnais, like Alexander the Great, is without heir, and there is room to fear the empire may be divided eventually under a number of petty kings."

I, pesonaly think Kasparov was the world's strongest player. Right now it should be Magnus Karlson I believe. However, Viswanathan Anand is the world champion. So, he is also one of the best.

neuromancerguy

kasprov no doubt...

EricFleet

Anand is better now because Kasparov is not playing

Kasparov was much better when he was playing. When other GMs dread playing you, you are the best.

SmyslovFan

For a brief period from about 2003-2005, I would have bet on Anand to win a match against Kasparov. Unfortunately, they only played a handful of games during that time as Kasparov was heading towards retirement.

By 2008, Anand was clearly better than Kasparov. But Kasparov at his peak was better than Anand was at his peak.

Anand's highest rating was 2817. Kasparov's was 2851.