Forums

Who is your least favorite chess player of all time, and why?

Sort:
fburton
varelse1 wrote:
fburton wrote:
MonochromeRainbow wrote:
pfren wrote:
fburton wrote:

Least favourite? Aronian?? Why??? 

He is probably an Azeri.

HE'S AN ARMENIAN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, of course - but I read pfren as suggesting that Bubble1997, not Aronian, is an Azeri (or has Azeri sympathies). However, as nameno1had said, simply hating all for what some or most do isn't right.

Like Azeri star Teimour Radjabov said, when asked about Aronian: "The enemy is the enemy!" 

I don't know the context of his remark, sorry - what exactly did he mean?

fburton
AlCzervik wrote:

You just made nemo proud.

Who??

varelse1

@ Fburton

Radjabov is Azeri (which is largely Islamic), Aronian is Armenian, (which is largely Christian)

So naturally, these two tiny countries have been at war with each other for the last 4000 years. Or so.

Not sure how it all started. But I am certain the origins of this conflict involved goats. Somehow.

AndyClifton

Jeez, that Chessmaster 2000 thing kinda reminds me of this pinball machine (used to drive me nuts):

AndyClifton
MonochromeRainbow wrote:
Though I greatly admire Alekhine's playing style, I'm Jewish, so I am strongly offended by his sympathization with the Nazis.

And somehow Fischer's name never occurred to you?  Looks like you've got some reading to do.

CrystalBeth
AndyClifton wrote:
MonochromeRainbow wrote:
Though I greatly admire Alekhine's playing style, I'm Jewish, so I am strongly offended by his sympathization with the Nazis.

And somehow Fischer's name never occurred to you?  Looks like you've got some reading to do.

I don't like Fischer either, but for other reasons as well: He was a sore loser - when he lost to the King's Gambit, he published a bunch of stuff on how it was terrible.

varelse1

Sure they are. They both claim to have begun with Abraham.

varelse1

Besides, I am sure the Azeri and Armenians were both fighting back then, too. Just with different names, different churches, is all.

gundamv

Kramnik because his style is very boring.  The strange antics in the match vs. Topalov doesn't help.  (I don't really like Topalov either.)

My favorites:

Capablanca

Karpov (on the Black pieces)

Anand 

varelse1

OARNGISHBLUE:

Gosh, darn it Gump! You're a Genius!!!!!!!!!

eddysallin

Anand,Fischer,Carlsen,Kasparov,Nacamura,Alekhine.......dislike them all !  Why should a handful actually know this game, while the rest of us strife to push pieces blindly around the board .

AndyClifton

Yeah!  The uppity jerks!

nameno1had

I find it bothersome that someone would be jealous of someone else's success, but not desire their hard worek or dedication....it is like hating a guy because he won thelottery....shut up and buy a ticket....

AlCzervik

That's a good analogy.

Conflagration_Planet
nameno1had wrote:

I find it bothersome that someone would be jealous of someone else's success, but not desire their hard worek or dedication....it is like hating a guy because he won thelottery....shut up and buy a ticket....

I'm sure he wasn't serious.

timbeau
elig5428 wrote:

me too. that is exactly what i was going to say before I read your post.

"SNAP"

timbeau

I just noticed  that I forgot to click "post"....5 months ago. 

- "me"  was my post 5, and a bit, months ago. Self-explanatory irony.

Yes, I know. 

mikechilds54

Bobby Fischer was a jerk, no doubt.  He was a nut, and his paronia and insanity just got worse and worse.  His racism is what was unforgivable to me.

But I always like him because as a teenager, Fischer is the one who got me interested in chess.  He wrote a wonderful column about chess for Boy's Life magazine in the early 1960's.  I read everyone of them.  His battle with Spassky for the World Championship at the height of the cold war captured the country's imagination.  Bobby made chess cool.

Then he made himself a fool.  How sad.  But I could never say I dislike him most.  To me he had a sad mental disease.

AndyClifton

So he had an unforgivable mental disease...I see.

nameno1had

lol...sounds like he and Hitler might have been buds...