Forums

Wht Bobby Fischer would have beaten Kasparov.

Sort:
standman

No one has ever achieved so many consecutive wins against the worlds best chess players. And his name was Bobby.

fabelhaft
nameno1had wrote:

Kasparov was introduced to chess at age 3. My 3 year old doesn't get the idea of taking successive turns, though he knows we both moves pieces or how to move the pieces properly according to their speciality, he just wants to move them. As a result I don't know how much merit I can give the first few years of Kasparov's chess experience. Kasparov was put through a chess academy, starting at a young age.  I am sure it took a few years of coaxing to get him to begin actually "playing" real games.

It was just before his sixth birthday that he started playing after looking at a chess problem his parents were trying to solve, and as he writes himself he had never played the game before that. I doubt he was coaxed into playing, but he got very interested in the game soon after learning the rules.

fabelhaft
standman wrote:

No one has ever achieved so many consecutive wins against the worlds best chess players

as this guy:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1006842

CB-39

To try to work out who would have won I think we must first ignore Fischer the man and think only about Fischer the chess player. If we remember that Bobby had to learn enough Russian to be able to study their books and to prepare for matches without the use a chess engines his total dedication to study and playing the game we make a start. Look at his record and try to think what sort of a player he would have made with the help of the Internet and chess engines and if he had been backed by the Soviet Chess Machine! It was Bobby Fischer against the World in every sense. In my mind the would only have been one winner - Bobby Fischer!

StevenBailey13

Very true, but Fischer would have beaten all opposition.

indurain

I think Fischer was blessed with a superb talent and a phenomenal ability to work extremely hard. Given that he nurtured his ability singlehandedly, in a culture that had little or no regard for Chess and was pitted against a system

(Soviet Chess Inc) that viewed him as the only credible threat to their dominance - and Fischer managed to overcome all these obstacles to gain the world title - this is very very impressive.

Kasparov too showed outstanding talent and an ability to work very very hard too. But he was raised in a culture that nurtured chess and he lived in a country that played chess widely. naturally the level of competition that Kasparov faced in his home country (USSR) is something that Bobby did not have to deal with.

The decisive factor for me comes down to how hard each fought to gain/retain the title. Fischers struggle to gain the title was tougher I wager. Kasporov's struggle to retain the title was as tough.

In their respective primes, I'd have to give my decision in favour of Bobby Fischer but it would be a damn close match.

My own all time favourite is Paul MorphyLaughing

Ben_Dubuque

seems to be the mantra of every American champion, Beat every credible player in the world, go insane, die

StevenBailey13
jetfighter13 wrote:

seems to be the mantra of every American champion, Beat every credible player in the world, go insane, die

Two words - Muhammad Ali

sadern

"Fischer is the best, but Kasparov is the greatest."

Ruby-Fischer

The "best" is very subjective. Everyone can have their own personal favourite.

Kasparov was World No. 1 ranked player for 255 months, by far the longest reign of all time, and nearly three times as long as his closest rival Karpov.

Fact of the matter is Kasparov has achieved far more and was World No. 1 for 20 years. That is not a matter of personal opinion or who people think is "best". It is FACT.

If Kasparov was an American, Fischer' short reign might have been forgoten long ago.

Ruby-Fischer

You must be joking

Ben_Dubuque

Think about it this way, the first Karpov Kasparov match lasted some 40+ games, and was aborted by FIDE, the Fischer Spassky Match lasted around 20, Kaspy and Karpov both had massive teams to assist them, Fischer was all alone, the only aid he had that could compare was Henry Kissinge, Spassky also held a team that included a lot of people.

Ruby-Fischer

Its an American site and I dont blame Americans for being Patriotic, and Bobby Fischer was a great player.

Frankly Ciljettu, I dont want to debate anything with you. You are a rude little hypocrite, trying to stir up trouble and arguments in every thread.

nameno1had
ciljettu wrote:

I'm not joking at all... this is the sensation I get from having lived for 5-6 years in the UK.

Both Fischer and Kasparov were definitely amongst the top five players ever. One ruled for a much longer time but the other dominated his contemporaries by a far greater margin. Never was a world number two like Spassky so comprehensively demolished in a modern world championship match, and with so little external assistance.

I have tremendous respect for both these players, and on a website with a strong American majority I am if anything surprised that Fischer does not receive even more adulation.

I like to compare the greatest chess players to stars in the sky. People tend to think of the stars that shine brightly,for the longest period of time, to be the most brilliant. Sometimes however, the most brilliant of the stars don't shine as long, but in their own way, are still more brilliant than any other in the sky. I feel this way about Fischer and Tal respectively. I think in they're short lived stays at the top, they were the two most brilliant I've seen among past players.

Ruby-Fischer
ciljettu wrote:

@Ruby-Fischer

To be honest I'm not strirring up any trouble at all, if anything a mild divergence of opinion.

The only person who is being rude here is yourself.

I am refering to your behaviour on another forum which got you banned, and on many others in which you are rude to people for no good reason. 

Ruby-Fischer

Really? so your calling people ignorant, moron, dumbass, lapdog etc does not qualify for rudeness? (and that was just a quick trawl of your posts)

You are right about being dragged down. Unlike you I do not usually engage in public slagging matches every night of the week. 

nameno1had
BruceBenedict wrote:

Fischer dominated a field where Spassky was the 2nd best player in the world, and has praise heaped on him over and over again for slaughtering the likes of Bent Larsen.

Now, Spassky and Larsen are both fine chess talents, but neither of them could carry Karpov's jockstrap.  If Fischer had been at the peak of his powers in the early 80's, he'd never have gotten higher than world #3.

Do you have any sound reasoning for why he would have been dominated by Kasparov and Karpov? I tend to think it would have been very interesting to say the least, if he wouldn't have dominated those two.

Ruby-Fischer
ciljettu wrote:

I was never the primary aggressor. When people call me things like midget, dwarf and tell me that my wife and kid spit on me, you can hardly expect me to turn the other cheek like a saint.

I can only speak for myself. I came home one day, allowed myself a little quip.. intended as a joke, alright maybe not very funny, and I can understand not everyone is on the same humour wavelength.

But then you misread it, assumed for some reason it was aimed at you, and started to call me a moron etc. 

You interpret things in a slightly paranoid way. You then respond by offending people and then retreat into your  "Im not the primary aggressor" stuff.

Maybe people do gang up on you, but to be honest, you ask for it.

Ruby-Fischer
BruceBenedict wrote:

Fischer dominated a field where Spassky was the 2nd best player in the world, and has praise heaped on him over and over again for slaughtering the likes of Bent Larsen.

Now, Spassky and Larsen are both fine chess talents, but neither of them could carry Karpov's jockstrap.  If Fischer had been at the peak of his powers in the early 80's, he'd never have gotten higher than world #3.

Very good point. 

nameno1had
Ruby-Fischer wrote:
BruceBenedict wrote:

Very good point. 

I would say Fischer would have been quite formidable in the last 8 years of the 70's. They probably would have been his best. By the time the 80's rolled around he would most likely been starting to lose some of his skill.