Forums

Why I'm getting ready to leave this site for good

Sort:
Remludar

This website is out of control.  How are you supposed to get paying members when you don't moderate the traffic on the site?  It's almost to the point now where it's unbearable.  There is no reason for 100 people to sit around waiting for midnight so they can post "first" and "easy" and "i'm so incredible that I did this is .5 seconds" etc on the daily puzzles.

Chess.com, please get yourself under control.  You are not the only place on the internet for chess conversation or puzzles or online play.  You are, however, quickly becoming my least favorite. 

Your domain is worth over a quarter of a million dollars.  Start moderating the forums.

robustyoungsoul

I see your point, but could you just ignore those threads? I just stick to the ones I enjoy.

Upabushtrack

The puzzles are there to make you think. I don't see the need to read any of the posts underneath them.

davidetal

um. what's wrong with the 'I'm first' game on daily puzzles? I don't play it myself, but its hardly objectionable. All other forums are voluntary.

Beyond that, a key characteristic of chess.com is 'community'. May I suggest you direct your concerns to the community, rather than chess.com organisers.

Upabushtrack

With extra cheese.

amarti64

Chess.com has its share of problems. As do all other websites.

A pizza would be nice, however...

Remludar

Yes, and on with the flames.  I guess I posted before thinking this morning.  I forgot that trusty equation:

regular people + anonymity of the internet = complete morons.

uritbon

i find no harm in people posting what they like, many of the stupid posts aren't even read because they are stuck in page 4 or so...

i think this is hardly a reason to stop visiting this incredible site.

trigs
Dmytro wrote:

Remludar

I totally agree with you. The forum is moderated very bad, there is a lot of offtopic posts, stupid and flaming posts.

i can't speak for other chess sites out there, but this site has WAY LESS flaming and off topic posts compared to a lot of our forums that i frequent. (and i have left forums in the past as a result of flaming issues which were never resolved by the admins)

Beelzebub666

The domain being worth that amount would tend to indicate that the site is working well.  If you can't ignore irrelevant posts you will probably find you have to leave the internet, not just this site.

TheChimp

Chimp Jungle International supports chess.com!

Redmular, let's play chess for fun.  Chess is fun!

Queenie
Remludar wrote:

This website is out of control.  How are you supposed to get paying members when you don't moderate the traffic on the site?  It's almost to the point now where it's unbearable.  There is no reason for 100 people to sit around waiting for midnight so they can post "first" and "easy" and "i'm so incredible that I did this is .5 seconds" etc on the daily puzzles.

Chess.com, please get yourself under control.  You are not the only place on the internet for chess conversation or puzzles or online play.  You are, however, quickly becoming my least favorite. 

Your domain is worth over a quarter of a million dollars.  Start moderating the forums.

Remludar, Oh no not another really important - smart - too good for us - person/player on this site. We who are happy paying clients are very happy with this site and our forums. We read what we find interesting, we enter tourney's and discussion which we think ok. We ignore what we are not interested in, and just wish that newer members would do the same. This is a great site to play chess on, so please if you don't like it. Then go away and leave us happy people alone. 

Remludar

I guess one way to approach it is to follow the mentality that you shouldn't expect anything more than the average product in the market.  Make no mistake.  This website is a product.  Most websites are products.  They are interractive billboards.  They might not all be for profit, but they are for, at the very least, promotion.

I guess I just expect a site devoted to something as temporal as chess to smack of a certain classiness.  I'm through complaining.  If the community would like me to remove my post I will.

TheChimp

Dmytro, you look badass, can you recommend a barber? thank you in advance, TheChimp

Queenie

The one thing you will learn if you stay with us, that this chess site is not is average, this is the best site to play chess on. Whether we are classy or not? em ...... not sure. We do have a great community made up of people from all walks of life. Some are very intelligent, some are not, some are grumpy, and not too friendly, some have made friends for life. Mostly we have great respect for each other and for the people who set us this site. Yes we do argue in the forums and have ago at each other, but we do all come back together and realize that we all have differing opinions. Mostly though we all love chess. If you stay you will play some amazing games of chess, with people you'd be very lucky not only to meet in your life but to be able to play chess with them is very special. You will meet people who will help you game, if you so wish, but most of all you will find out that Chess.com is the best chess site of all. Just learn to ignore what you find uninteresting, or not to your standards, and you will have a great time. (maybe to the point you'll be willing to pay for the privilege as well The people who run this site do have to make a living as well).

robustyoungsoul

I've already learned more in just a couple weeks on this site using some of the terrific features available than I have in years.

xqsme

More than one way to skin a cat ! Do AS i TRY TO DO; make  helpfull analytical observations and subtly improving remarks whenever u get  the chance. No harm in having tongue in cheek  occasionally when not in check .

amberella

hi my names amber whats up

IrishMike

I have the local newspaper delivered every morning to my house- it costs money-I read it and find a good many of the articles are boring, irelevant, biased and just plain stupid, but I continue to pay for this service because there is a portion I enjoy reading, there are articles that are informative, and I like the daily news in general- kind of the same for me with Chess.com

IrishMike Cool

golem3

Well goodbye. What we don't need is drama about your farewell.