Forums

Your favorite chess quotation

Sort:
lobosolo21

Mine is: " Chess is a game by its form,an art by its content and a science by the difficult of gaining mastery in it.Chess can convey as much happiness as a good book or work of music can.However,it is necessary to play well and only afterwards will one experience real delight."

- Tigran V. Petrosian

You may post your own personal quotation of how you define your aproach to the royal game,not necessary a famous one.Regards of the Ghost...Smile 

sableWhist

I don't believe in psychology. I believe in good moves.”

-Bobby Fischer

dc1985

"When I am White, I win because I am White. When I am Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."- Bogoljubow.

blindowl

"A bad day of Chess is better than any good day at work"

(anonymous)

Clobbersaurus

"When asked how many moves he saw ahead, Capablanca replied: 'Just one. The best one.'"

lobosolo21
Clobbersaurus wrote:

"When asked how many moves he saw ahead, Capablanca replied: 'Just one. The best one.'"

Clobber I think it was R.Rèti who was adressed that question.

thekingandi

I'm not sure who said this but I love it! Someone out there must know:

"Play the opening like a book, play the middle game like a magician, play the endgame like a machine."

RyanMK

"Place the contents of the chess box in a hat, shake them up vigorously, pour them on the board from a height of two feet - and you get the style of Steinitz."
– Henry Bird

"Nobody can give God pawn odds and win. But if I played white, I bet I could play God to a draw."                                  -Robert J. Fischer

“There are two types of sacrifices: correct ones and mine”
-Mikhail Tal

"The boy (then a 12-year-old named Anatoly Karpov) doesn't have a clue about Chess, and there's no future at all for him in this profession."
- Mikhail Botvinnik

(Oh, theking, it was by Spielmann)

Vlad_Akselrod

Chess you don't learn, chess you understand - Victor Korchnoi

Animals

"Help your peices so they can help you." ~ Paul Morphy. Does anyone know quotes on Gambits?

David_Spencer

"It is always better to sacrifice your opponent's men." Savielly Tartakower

noodlex

"Chess is life." -Bobby Fischer

"All I want to do ever is just play chess." -Bobby Fischer

NEPatriots27

i am the best chess player in the world and i am here to prove it- bobby fischer

NEPatriots27

and ( chess is a war over the board . the object is crush the opponents mind- bobby fischer

ozzie_c_cobblepot

"Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" ("That I should lose to this idiot!"). - Nimzowitsch on losing to Saemisch

Twarter369

Man A " See my soldiers are the pawns and my advisors are the minor pieces"

Man B "and you are the king?"

Man A "No, I am the board"

Trulte

Podolski (Polish soccer player): "Football is like chess, only without the dice"

Sue Maroroa (after winning the Women's Championship of New Zealand): "I'm sorry, I don't know what my best game was - I don't remember any of them" 

Bruiser419

"Checkmate". At least when i say it ha ha.

Alphastar18

"I love all positions. Give me a difficult positional game, I will play it. Give me a bad position, I will defend it. Openings, endgames, complicated positions, dull draws, I love them and I will do my very best. But totally won positions, I cannot stand them."
- Donner

pizzaking

"I am Alexander Alekhine, Chess Champion of the World! I have a cat named Chess. Papers? I don't need any papers."
--Alekhine, being asked to produce identification papers while crossing the Polish border

This scene from The Wire is incredible and a great example of why, imo, it was the most intelligent show on TV.  A gang "lieutenant" teaches a couple soldiers how to play chess using examples of gang life.  Here's the scene on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1HUlTKvDUI