4 Player Chess Last Man Standing

micwhite

Hi,

I was playing a game a four player chess recently, and it was down to two players. One player had accumulated a points lead, but was significantly down on material.

At that point, he "resigned", but the scoring system meant he won the game.

What are people's thoughts on this? If two players are left, and one resigns, shouldn't the player that remains be awarded a certain amount of points? I don't think +20 (checkmate) is necessarily enough, because the stronger side could also go about capturing the other pieces, if the game continued.

evert823

That sounds like a flaw in the game rules. If you still have winning chances even within that scoring system, you should have the right to play for it. Or else resign should mean REALLY resign.

Martin0

The rules for 4-player chess has been experimented with. Without the point system (making it last man standing), then players have no incentive to actively participate in the game, but rather try to be passive while the others are fighting each other.

At one point a rule experimented with was that when there are only 2 players remaining, then a player that resigns would not only give the last player 20 points (for his king), but also give points for each of his remaining pieces (so king + rook + pawn for example is 26 points).

This rule change proved to be not very good, because it doesn't reward a player enough that participated in the game. If one player gets a lot of points and eliminates 2 players, then is it really fair if the last player can just pick up all his material before checkmating him to win the game?

One interesting dynamic that often happens when there are 3 players remaining is that a player with more material and less points needs to be a bit desperate to get the next checkmate and not allow another player to checkmate a player and then claim win. This is a dynamic I really like in the game. If a player manages to get 2 checkmates and gets ahead enough in points, then he deserves the victory.

Also, the term has been changed from resign to claim win when you are ahead enough in points. A player being able to claim win makes points more important and that is a good thing.

Points > last man standing

HorusTheThird
Martin0 wrote:

Also, the term has been changed from resign to claim win when you are ahead enough in points. A player being able to claim win makes points more important and that is a good thing.

Points > last man standing

Once, there was this game where I was winning. Blue checkmated green and surged ahead in points, but was soon checkmated. The game continued, and me and red battled until I had accumulated three points more than blue, and about 30 points more than red, but the resign button did not turn into the claim win button. I believe that it was a bug that had the computer believe that if I resigned, the 20 points would go to blue as the most successful player and have him win, therefore the resign button did not change.

Martin0

@HorusTheThird, I believe that bug should have been fixed.

micwhite

I don't think it's a case of Points > last man standing, but that it should be Points = f(lms,X,Y,Z) where X, Y and Z are of course other variables.

I don't know at what stage this "Claim Win" function gets presented, but I don't recollect seeing it.

Finally, imagine a WWE Royal Rumble or a Battle Royale (or any other number of hypotheticals), where two participants are left and one competitor calls a permanent victory time out, because they have eliminated more competitors. I don't assume that would be taken well be the crowd. After all, 4 player chess does say something like it is a free-for-all. Ok, I get that these scenarios make LMS all that matters, and 4 player chess shouldn't necessarily go that far, but by the same token, they shouldn't be making LMS irrelevant.

If they were being consistent with other resignations (which is not necessarily the best thing to do), the 2nd to last player, having resigned, should have his king left and the last player can play on, go and take it, and claim 20 points.

testaaaaa

how often do players team up against someone?

micwhite
testaaaaa wrote:

how often do players team up against someone?

In a free-for-all, that happens every game, by different partnerships, at different stages.

In team 4 player chess, that also happens, but with loyalty to one partner.

Martin0

You do get points for being the last man standing. When there are only 2 players left and a player resigns/claim win/looses on time, then the last player gets 20 points for each enemy king remaining.

testaaaaa

cause gm hammer said thats the only uncool thing about it^^

micwhite
testaaaaa wrote:

cause gm hammer said thats the only uncool thing about it^^

I suspect he's specifically talking about the times two or more players go into a free-for-all with a pre-planned secret motiv to secure the top spots, or to make another player finish rock bottom.

That said, I don't think you can enter a 4 player FFA with other known players - it's random. So, what we're talking about is someone chatting away to get partners, after the game has started. There's something of a nuclear option, in that case, where any player can disable the chat!