Forums

Castling on chess.com

Sort:
krislwright

Hey, playing my very first Chess960 game on chess.com (correspondence type) and don't know how to castle. I mean, I understand the rule of castling if I were playing over the board, but how do I make the move online?

joshgregory7

move the king on the rook or one square next to it.  in 960 it is different for instance in one game i had a clear route to castle but since i had pieces on the queenside that were not out it didnt let me castle.  just go in analysis and figure out what needs to be done to castle by a guess and check method

ShiViChess

You move your king mor than one space left or richt, and if you can castle, you will end up in a castled position

Apoapsis

Move the king over the rook you want to castle with. If you can. you will castle.

quietsam
krislwright wrote:

Hey, playing my very first Chess960 game on chess.com (correspondence type) and don't know how to castle. I mean, I understand the rule of castling if I were playing over the board, but how do I make the move online?

i'm in the same boat as you.

neoliminal

To those who are suggesting moving the King, in Chess960, there are positions where the King does not move during castling.

jchurch5566 wrote:

Hi guys,

I got an answer from technical support.  The way you do castling in Chess960 is to first 'click' the king, then without moving it, 'click' the rook.  It works nicely.

Watch your backrank.

chessking5123

blakaveli

IM STUCK GEEZ

TheGrobe

If you experience a problem castling when there is only one square between the king and rook, click on the king and then on the rook.

http://support.chess.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=737

s_kid

I am still unable to castle by clicking on the king and then the rook.. 

TheGrobe

s_kid, the rules for castling are:

• Neither King nor Rook can have moved prior to castling
  • There cannot be any pieces between the King and Rook
  • The King cannot castle out of, through, or into check
  • King and Rook must be on the same rank (basically, you can't castle with a pawn you've just promoted to a rook)
s_kid

TheGrobe,

I know the rules on how to castle. I can do it on the board but unable to do it on the facebook application or the chess.com website. Even after satisfying the above parameters I am unable to castle. When I click on the king and then on the rook, nothing happens. I have tried different browers- IE, Mozilla, Google Chrome with no luck. I'll be glad if you can help.

TheGrobe

The reason I posted the conditions for castling is because none of your active games here meet them.

Loomis

If you don't post an example of a position where you are having difficulty castling, it can be hard for people to help you because they won't know what is causing the problem.

ChesterLukeWolfaardt

ivandh

Black appears to have four rooks

KharmaKills
[COMMENT DELETED]
ad9410
[COMMENT DELETED]
pappu220

k

deBaroness

Trick is to drag the king to the spot he is going to move to. The rook will do his own job. Just drag the king to the correct square. If you're not sure which one that is, test out squares until it works.