[COMMENT DELETED]
game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
vickalan

10x8 is fine, but I also like games on an Infinite Plane. Wanna play a game? I'll meet you (here). This thread is for people who want to discuss chess-960.

phpoHD83v.png

game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
McGoohan
game_designer wrote:

You created your account at the same time when I made the first report about the spammer.

Do you have a time machine ? grin.png

vickalan Joined Dec 3, 2016

game_designer Joined Feb 11, 2017

game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
McGoohan

final_wars  Joined Apr 21, 2015

final_wars closed their own account on Jun 18, 2016

final_wars_warlord Joined Sep 26, 2016

final_wars_warlord closed their own account on Jan 4, 2017

game_designer Joined Feb 11, 2017

game_designer wrote Feb 26, 2017:

"vickalan was not one of the bogus spam accounts, I was wrong about that...."

game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
neoliminal
mayapiri wrote:

I usually follow "Laskers rules" which includes "Bring out your knights before developing your bishops."

Is this also a good principle for Chess-960?

It depends on the position of the bishops because sometimes you need to reveal the bishop early in order to pin an opposing pawn in place. For example if you have a bishop that happens to be a move away from pinning a pawn to the opponent's King, you might consider this move first.

In addition, consider that minor pieces on the edges are better developed earlier than more central minor pieces. So Knights on the edge are better to bring out earlier than a Knight that is centrally located and already contributing to your defense.

Does that make sense?

vickalan

Neoliminal's answer is good. But I think moving knights before bishops can be good for this reason: In the opening you want to move each piece only once, and get it in the right spot right away. With a knight, you almost can never go wrong. It can only jump 2 away, so a knight's move is the right move. But a bishop can travel 1 square, or many squares. So wait till you see what your opponent does first, and then move your bishops. There's exceptions to every rule, but I think the lasker rule you mentioned is good for normal chess, chess-960, and probably other variant games which have both those pieces.happy.png

(It's fun to think about chess again without scary Griffons and Chancellors)!

game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]
vickalan

Apparently the game pieces in Monopoly aren't as sacred as the pieces in chess. Every so often there's a vote, and the worst piece gets kicked out, and a new one introduced. I think the wheelbarrow was kicked out, and now there's a cat:

null

Here's the cat:

null

I think next year we should try to get some chess pieces added to Monopoly!happy.png

game_designer
[COMMENT DELETED]