Forums

Economy Chess version 2 is coming!

Sort:
ElKitch

** want to try Economy Chess on the board

- get a board + 2 sets of pieces
- print tokens from the print and play 
- use the scoreboard application: it will do all the scorekeeping for you and it also has a timer + increment. (works on laptop or smartphone) 

Assuming that the world doesn't end the 21st of December, a new version of Economy Chess will be available from the chess.com downloads January 2013!

Some things that will be in the next version (among many other small changes):
- Flip board
- Handicapped play
- Saving & loading games
- Economy Chess960

If you want to keep track of updates join the Economy Chess group! The rules of the game (video/text) can be found there as well, and you can challenge others using the current available software. While you're at it, like Economy Chess on facebook!

Some things that will not be in the next version, but hopefully will be in version 3:
- a computer opponent (AI)

- an option to play Economy Chess 'live' against someone else. To play someone  on the other side of the world in version 2 you'll have to send the moves manually, using a chat, e-mail, phone or pigeon.
- an option to select different boards and pieces
- only windows is supported, no Mac.. sorry! 

SimaSun

Why would the world end on the 21. December?

ElKitch

Well the Maya's predicted this and that, but except for a high tide I dont think much will happen. 

Sima, why don't you join the group? Martin0 had the good idea to organise a ladder. You can try your pawnstorm-theory :)

Btw, I am also very looking forward to play Economy Chess960!

Martin0

The ladder has been created Smile

http://www.chess.com/groups/forumview/economy-chess-ladder-tournament

ElKitch

The next version of Economy Chess software is being made and is expected to be ready December 2012/January 2013! The game can be downloaded for free in the chess.com downloadsection.

Economy Chess is a chessvariant in which you conquer the squares of the board simply by moving onto them. The more squares you control, the higher your income gets. Gain coins based on your income each turn and spend them to reinforce your position with new material on the backranks. Spend - or save - your money wisely!

If you want to keep track of updates join the Economy Chess group! The rules of the game (video/text) can be found there as well, and you can challenge others using the current available software. While you're at it, like Economy Chess on facebook! Furthermore a ladder is starting when the new software is available. A ladder is a tournament where you can challenge others and join and leave anytime. Sign up here!

ElKitch

From the chess.com downloads a set of documents is available  that can be used to play Economy Chess on the board. Print the documents, get a board and pieces and you can play a game!

The .zip file contains:

standard rules (.doc -4 pages-) with image examples and optional rules
a scoresheet (.doc -1 page- or .pgn) to keep track of the economy. the sheet has most important rules listed in a brief summary
red and blue tokens (.pgn) that can be printed and cut out

Also required:
1 chessboard
2 sets of pieces
optional: a printed version of the rules 
optional: use personal (heavyweight) tokens that dont get pushed around when moving pieces.

In a local handcraft store I bought a couple mosaic colours for about $2/set. They work fine.

ElKitch

Edited the rulebook alot to take out some typo's, added an example and an optional rule. In my Word the rules are 4 pages and after the Scoresheet and the Tokensets another 2 pages, but I wonder if they are displayed like that in all versions of word. 

I've changed the tokens. More colors to choose from and also usable when colorblind. Rightclick on the image and save image to your computer to print it (or get them + rules from the downloads). 

ElKitch

Beta version of v2 has arrived! Come to the Economy Chess group to see whats going on :)

1RedKnight99
ElKitch wrote:

Beta version of v2 has arrived! Come to the Economy Chess group to see whats going on :)

I might rejoin and play some more now that v2 is almost out!

ElKitch

Things that go *bump* overnight...

The project has been down for some time. Busy with other things and playing to much 'normal' chess. But the final bugreport is sent to the programmer and some time soon V2 will be ready!

Martin0

Good to see that something is happening. Looking forward to V2 and get the ladder tournament started Smile

ElKitch

I am sorry that it has taken so long. And again there is an extremely busy period coming (have to make about half a years points in one semester + work+ social life) so I had to do the testing now or it would last another couple months. Oh and I should spend less time playing chess Smile

ElKitch

ElKitch

ElKitch

Do not forget to sign up for the Ladder Tournament that will start once V2 is out!

Sign up here: http://www.chess.com/groups/forumview/economy-chess-ladder-tournament

ElKitch

Playing Economy Chess on the board just got 86%* easier! 

Ted Elrick, aka Snappleman on Boardgamegeek.com, wrote an awesome application that keeps track of basicly everything that happens in Economy Chess. All you have to do is tell the software what you just did on the chessboard.

+ a chessclock with increment 
+ the application works on any browser and also works on smartphones
+ internetconnection is needed to open the page, after that no connection is needed to use the application
+ resize the scoreboard to your own will (ctrl + mousescroll)
+ all variants of the v2 software can be chosen 

At this time only the standard Economy Chess variant can be played. Other options will soon be implemented.

Big thanks again to Ted for making this application, it runs great!

The scoreboard application can be used here: http://c3g.no-ip.org/EcoChess

* proven in several clinical studies

ElKitch

Tonight Ill be playing a couple games in a cafe against another chess.com member. I highly recommend you guys to also give it a try. With the new online application its so much easier!

ElKitch

A couple photo's of yesterday's games. We played 3 games, and all where different. The 3rd game was one with a closed position, but I recieved +5 more income every turn. That's 1/5th of a pawn, so that really adds up after a while.

ElKitch