Forums

Live 960

Sort:
Carpin
nameno1had wrote:
chanroyal wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

Could you be so kind as to explain bughouse?

2v2 chess, timed, sit next to your partner playing opposite colors against the opposing team, you may drop a piece captured by your partner in an open square instead of moving one on the board, team wins if either player wins on time or checkmate.

Tends to be fast paced, less dependent on openings, and puts more value on knights since they are an unblockable when dropped for check.

That sounds like its up my alley...

its an extremely fun game.  very chaotic.  I have not played it in years

nameno1had
Carpin wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
chanroyal wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

Could you be so kind as to explain bughouse?

2v2 chess, timed, sit next to your partner playing opposite colors against the opposing team, you may drop a piece captured by your partner in an open square instead of moving one on the board, team wins if either player wins on time or checkmate.

Tends to be fast paced, less dependent on openings, and puts more value on knights since they are an unblockable when dropped for check.

That sounds like its up my alley...

its an extremely fun game.  very chaotic.  I have not played it in years

I love how one position gives me the keys to a steam roller and another shows me just how inept I can be...an awesome learning tool...but fun too

Vertwitch

live 960 nooooooow

Bellomy

I'm itching to try chess 960 live...I know it's harder and I really should be focused on regular chess and everything, but man I really want to try it out.

Vertwitch

960 now!

The_Gavinator
[COMMENT DELETED]
Defence4Gizchehs

Ofcourse Chess.com knows that Chess 960 Live is a Versatility, double & dice; they only don't do it, probably due to one or more of the following Reasons:

- Hard to Program and/or/nor or to find someone/people who could/can program and let Everything run Smoothly.

- All kinds that are around Money.

- A place where unjust Cheaters can ( easily ) Manifest themselves.

- Not enough Space and Room; Chess.com will React too Slow after.

- No Appropiate SoftWare Possible.

Now, those are the Reasons where I can think of so from first hand.
Now play Chess.

nameno1had
Defence4Gizchehs wrote:

Ofcourse Chess.com knows that Chess 960 Live is a Versatility, double & dice; they only don't do it, probably due to one or more of the following Reasons:

- Hard to Program and/or/nor or to find someone/people who could/can program and let Everything run Smoothly.

Now play Chess.

I think live 960 would make it next to impossible to cheat, especially at very short time controls and I think it is one of the best exercises, apart from studying openings or actual chess games, to get you into chess playing shape, because it forces you to use all of the elements(strategical,tactical,positional) in very parts in a game setting. If you can do all of those things really well, opening theory becomes far less important.

Zen
Defence4Gizchehs wrote:

Now play Chess.

Admittedly I'm not a programmer or a site designer, but...

1) How exactly would programming chess960 into live chess be so problematical? I would think that since it was possible to add into correspondence chess it would likewise be possible to implement into live chess. But maybe you know better.

2) There may be economical reasons, but you're being quite vague here.

3) I think nameno1had covered this bit about cheating pretty well.

4) Do you believe live chess960 would really increase total server load significantly? It's possible that it would, but I'd assume this would cause some positive change in income from ads and memberships as well to balance it out.

5) I'm not sure what software you are talking about. The interface is already there pretty much. Then again, maybe I'm misinterpreting this part of your reasoning.

Please don't take this post as a personal attack against you and your reasoning, I'm simply trying to create discussion. Smile

Kirkmack

what is it?

Vertwitch

chess 960 now!!

The_Gavinator
[COMMENT DELETED]
plzResign

Chess960 would be a better measure of creativity and intellectual ability (to wit, fluid intelligence and critical thinking skills) than normal chess. This is because success in normal chess is based mostly on memorization of key positions, and reenacting those positions on the board. On the grandmaster level, moves are made in a dull and perfunctory manner, with little thought going in every move (since they've already memorized the key positions).

Because Chess960 randomizes the last row of pieces, it will upend the very fabric of chess theory and force players to creatively and critically think of their next move. New matches will midwife new strategies, with their success being dependent on the intellectual ability of the player.

The implementation of Chess960 into Live Chess, if done, will be one of the greatest installations in all of online chess history, bestowing onto bored students, chess fanatics, and dimented lunatics a foolproof and fun way to exercise and improve their critical thinking skills. It might even be a good exercise to up a few IQ points.

nameno1had

Even though I generally think blitz isn't the best learning tool, I have had a hankering to play some 960 blitz.

rjb

Any new news on this? I'm itching for Lightning 960!

nameno1had

No. I was hoping someone would show up and have good news.

nameno1had
-kenpo- wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

I haven't given a  thought before now, but I love the idea of 960 blitz, there isn't a way for anyone to memorize the moves ahead of time. It really would level the playing field. I think bullet is more about how has faster reflexs and better equipment,connection,etc...

it would probably make it impossible, or at least much much more difficult, to ambush complete novices with certain trap and trick lines. pet lines would obviously be of no use either. above a certain level, however, there wouldn't really be much difference. 

it would probably have the most affect on players ~1200-~1600

I mainly like it because you cant use an engine at 5 minute time controls nor can someone use tricks or excessive open book study to win. That gives you a great chance to win everytime you play.

nameno1had

-kenpo- wrote:

I think you underestimate the resolve of the engine user in that first instance to a degree.

I don't really think "excessive open book study" alone secures many wins for the majority of players. it might enable them to secure an advantage of some sort from the opening, but not much else. converting such an advantage to a win is a whole different story.

traps, tricks and pet lines? yes. superficial rote memorization of these sorts of things can definitely allow a person to easily blow an unsuspecting inexperienced chess enthusiast off the board in no time flat. especially in blitz or bullet. and one would not be able to use such things in 960.

I would find it difficult to load an atypical position and have enough time for the engine to get me enough of an advantage to secure a win. It also seem most games I am a part of are decided by who opens better.

nameno1had

-kenpo- wrote:

I would find it difficult to load an atypical position and have enough time for the engine to get me enough of an advantage to secure a win.

they will find a way. they will look at as a challenge.

It also seem most games I am a part of are decided by who opens better.

I do in fact doubt this.

I have Chessmaster. It has a set up position feature. It would take me about 2-3 min. to load it and 8 would still have to select the time controls and get player, me and chessmaster to the right color. I would have to still transfer the moves. Most likely, it would play for mate and not to win on time

Openings are probably my biggest weakness.

Zen

Don't start a discussion about using engines here. And I believe 960 for live chess is still on the work list, it's just that there are some things to do before the staff gets to that.

This forum topic has been locked