Second Class Championship: CaptainTugwash vs. TheGreatAuk!

thegreatauk

I played that endgame terribly.

captaintugwash

Cheers auk, gg.

35... Wh5 I think was an inaccuracy, first drive my king into the corner with Wi4+, stopping me being able to play Kh1. 

30... Ke7 was probably a mistake, too since you needed to move your king again to protect your knight.

But the losing move imo was 32... Ng7 instead of Rg7. I can understand you didn't want to weaken your attack by retreating the rook, but I think that was your last chance to really solidify your defence. 

But you're still very unlucky, because I nearly gave up my advantage and was extremely fortunate to find an alternative attack. I guess it shows that I had the better position, but I was certainly lucky to realise it.

I think the guard is much better than the knight, at least once mobilised, so in theory, it was probably lost for you when you allowed the position to simplify into this mid-endgame.

It was very tight in those opening stages though, a high quality game imo. Thanks auk.

queenamythehedgehog

haha

captaintugwash

19... Qf4 was an interesting move, too. I really don't know if it was better than Qf5, I had spent quite some time analysing that position and was reasonably confident I could handle the counter attack, but I certainly wasn't thorough and it was a razor sharp position. I might take another look at that position over the weekend.

null

rychessmaster1

Ready to start tug?

queenamythehedgehog

teehee

rychessmaster1
captaintugwash wrote:

Cheers auk, gg.

35... Wh5 I think was an inaccuracy, first drive my king into the corner with Wi4+, stopping me being able to play Kh1. 

30... Ke7 was probably a mistake, too since you needed to move your king again to protect your knight.

But the losing move imo was 32... Ng7 instead of Rg7. I can understand you didn't want to weaken your attack by retreating the rook, but I think that was your last chance to really solidify your defence. 

But you're still very unlucky, because I nearly gave up my advantage and was extremely fortunate to find an alternative attack. I guess it shows that I had the better position, but I was certainly lucky to realise it.

I think the guard is much better than the knight, at least once mobilised, so in theory, it was probably lost for you when you allowed the position to simplify into this mid-endgame.

It was very tight in those opening stages though, a high quality game imo. Thanks auk.

Seems to me that 34.. Wi4+ and auk is fine

captaintugwash

My assessment of 35 is wrong, but it's not move 34 either where he should play Wi4+

It's 32... Wi4+ where he has the chance to drive my king back, before my rook gets out of the way.

captaintugwash

32... Wi4+ or 32... Rg7 both make life difficult for me, best I can tell. I'd still prefer to be white, but it's a long endgame ahead.

captaintugwash
rychessmaster1 wrote:

Ready to start tug?

I'll start a thread tomorrow. Where's the tournament thread?

rychessmaster1
I meant 32.. My bad
rychessmaster1
I bumped it.
It’s in the bulldog chess club