Clubs are Getting Too Serious

Roger436

Over quarantine, I've seen many clubs just get too serious. Club owners have just turned clubs into businesses. I'm not talking about big ones with 1000+ although those have gotten quite competitive, I'm talking about the relatively smaller club with 100-500 Members. Public clubs are mostly fun, Just a place where you can chat with others. But private clubs can get pretty competitive, these clubs act like the club is supposed to be some sort of empire.

They have all sorts of things, they have all these roles, like "Secretary" or like "Alpha" Admin. (Not hinting any clubs in particular wink.png) I'm not saying that it's bad, and I should just probably mind my own business but many of these clubs super admins are pressuring some of the admins, and coordinators. It's like they force them to be active and constantly participate in vote chess, tournaments, and daily chess. It's a Chess.com Club, you gotta Chillax, it's not a business and you don't need to write "office" hours or make a "vacation slips." 🙄

Tons of these clubs also have rivals who just completely trash talk each other. People from "Rival" Clubs are going into other clubs and spam threats and gibberish. Some are even joining the club to sabotage daily matches and vote chess. How competitive can it get? Imagine purposely losing daily matches just to ruin someone else's club. meh.png

I'm not talking to every single club, because some clubs are awesome places that are just chill. But to the other clubs who are just turning it into an empire, it takes time away from people who joined chess.com to improve their chess. Clubs are just getting way too serious.

Roses883

too true

Oka1493

I agree whole heartedly 

Roger436

The clubs have just crossed the line, the rules are getting stricter and everyone is getting muted and kicked, all these rivalries have gotten too serious, this is just a message to all the people who have a club similar to this, and that it isn't supposed to be a business.

Oka1493

Yes!

Potato50012

Completely agree.

Clubs are best when either fun or chess oriented, and shouldn't be taken as ways to accumulate power/station.

Oka1493

I agree!

Mightywarrior24

i agree

Roses883

+

Roger436

Can you guys help spread the message, the club stuff is really getting out of hand.

Roger436

These clubs are actually like way too competitive Lmao

Roses883

😂

chessguy_888

They're legit like invite 20 people a day (they must join) or else ur demoted

Roger436

They're just threatening their own club mates xD

Roses883

haha XD

GM_chess_player
Roger436 wrote:

These clubs are actually like way too competitive Lmao

That's how it started when chess.com allowed basic members to make clubs...

Roses883

oof

NutmegPro

yea i recently deleted a lot of my old clubs cuz I'm simply too busy to run my own club and that stuff

KeSetoKaiba
NutmegPro wrote:

yea i recently deleted a lot of my old clubs cuz I'm simply too busy to run my own club and that stuff

I might want to create one or two clubs of my own on chess.com sometime in the future, but I haven't for this same reason: time. Of course, not only time but also the effort; running a club takes a lot of work if you want it to be a quality club (I helped many other chess.com clubs get off and running so I have a loose idea what it is like) and I don't think I'd have the time to dedicate right now, so I haven't created one yet.

MustangMate

Forums can not be taken seriously. 
 Very unfortunate the atmosphere here where clubs are openly advertised and promoted in “community”. I thought such advertisement was to take place elsewhere.

We all can observe one club in particular with admins sending out invites willy billy all the while claiming exclusivity - making claims of openness when in fact any member who calls the club a sham gets immediately blocked. 
The clubs guru sent me a private message (indicating he can’t remember who’s who)- he’s getting the old “ Gang” back together ! LOL. I was  blocked long ago for pointing out all the previous trolling threads, never in his old gang and this new venture is just more of the same trolling.

The OP is rightfully concerned. It no longer is friendly competition between a few of these newer clubs  started by very young non-premium members  who make continued attempts to disrupt other clubs and behave foolishly. I!d suggest some of the observed, excessive “seriousness/competitiveness” is actually nothing more than bad trolling.

I’d hope one day soon staff will realize the long term damage being done to the Spirit of chess and good sportsmanship. The present policy - seemingly anything goes/ all fun and games/ no harm no foul - in reality turns many members away from joining all the legitimate , hard working and respectable clubs as some evidence indicates a very few members are bent on disruption.