17,000 People Per Day?

SnowyTheWolf

So, I noticed that chess.com said that 17,000 people have joined today (past 24 hours) and... I just wanted to say, that is 1 person joining every 5 seconds. I calculated by looking up how many seconds are in a day (86,400), and then I divided it by 17,000 (which there have actually been 17,223 new people in the last 24 hours) and it came out to be 4.98... that's in between 4.9 and 5.0 seconds! So, I know not many of those people will STAY active... but 17,000 new members? That is quite unbelievable and I feel like it's a flaw. 

Last thing. There used to be average of 10,000 to 12,000 new members a day over a year ago. That still is 1 person joining every 7 to 8 seconds!

I rest my case: either chess.com's numbers are wrong, I am going insane, or soon everyone over 6-years-old will be on chess.com whether they're active or not.

Jesus_Is_C0ming

surprise.png

Brudo_the_Chess_King

Yeah interesting and true and Insane

LHCSaraB

wow

Brudo_the_Chess_King
IMBacon wrote:

6 year olds would be a bump in maturity.

lol

LHCSaraB

lol

gf3

1440 daily minutes

18K quit daily, too tho

52yrral

Now if we only knew how many are kicked out every day...

Putasockinit
Ha,ha, ......good one Larry 👍
m_connors

Yeah, it's kind of like life . . . birth rate and death rate. So 17,000 are "born" daily here, but what is our death rate?

WarriorsNightstar

very confusing

WarriorsNightstar

thats why

RedGirlZ

One thing u need to take note. Many users are making hundreds of accounts, so the stats aren't as cut and dry as you think. 

WarriorsNightstar

k

drmrboss
WarriorsNightstar wrote:

very confusing

RedGirlZ

Yeah..

I'm really over it tbh. It's become clear the people in charge of chess.com aren't interested in at least entertaining the idea of tackling this issue, so the mods have to just keep banning these accounts. 

CRYYSIS
AmyQueen16 wrote:

That is astounding but seems impossible! 

You status said you're completely new to chess , why did you left? You didn't like it here?

SnowyTheWolf
DanOlvido wrote:
SnowyTheWolf wrote:

So, I noticed that chess.com said that 17,000 people have joined today (past 24 hours) and... I just wanted to say, that is 1 person joining every 5 seconds. I calculated by looking up how many seconds are in a day (86,400), and then I divided it by 17,000 (which there have actually been 17,223 new people in the last 24 hours) and it came out to be 4.98... that's in between 4.9 and 5.0 seconds! So, I know not many of those people will STAY active... but 17,000 new members? That is quite unbelievable and I feel like it's a flaw. 

Last thing. There used to be average of 10,000 to 12,000 new members a day over a year ago. That still is 1 person joining every 7 to 8 seconds!

I rest my case: either chess.com's numbers are wrong, I am going insane, or soon everyone over 6-years-old will be on chess.com whether they're active or not.

This is not too crazy, 17.000 people is nothing really. There is a LOT of people in the world. Actually more than 400.000 times that number. Just try to visualize that in your head lol

Or I am too high?

17,000 a day though. There are 31 million people here. And 7,500 million people in the world (7.5 billion). I'd say that's a high percentage of people on chess.com.

Brudo_the_Chess_King

uhhh. Yeah that's odd/ a lot

lfPatriotGames
IMBacon wrote:

I dont think it makes the site look good at all. It's obviously a lie/deception. So either they think chess players are REALLY gullible or they just dont care. 17k per day is so far out of whack with reality they aren't even trying to pretend that's how many join per day. It makes the site look really bad. If they want to make the site seem popular, they should post a more realistic number, whether it's true or not. 

It would be like me putting up one of those crawler signs at my business, saying 900 new customers today. Nobody would believe it and it just reeks of desperation.