x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

7-year-olds shouldn't be on chess.com

  • #1

    read the title/

  • #2

    You can't prevent it without verifying the age of all accounts.

     

    Officially, you have to be 18 or older to create an account and if a member is younger, their parent or guardian has to open and maintain it for them.

  • #3

    yeah

  • #4

    Some people say they are seven, such as Joseph.

  • #5

    I consider the age requirement of 18 years incredibly dumb, especially given that Chesskids is rather lame for anyone older than 10.

  • #6
    Fennifer wrote:

    Some people say they are seven, such as Joseph.

     

    Not going to say he isn't for sure, but anyone online can claim they are anything. On the internet, no one knows you're a dog (or cat happy.png).

     

    If he really is that age, then by the TOS his parents should have set up his account and should be monitoring it.

  • #7

      I know you can say that. Since he is saying that, staff can assume he isn't lying, but wince he has a diamond membership I doubt they want him to leave.

  • #8
    Martin_Stahl wrote:
    Fennifer wrote:

    Some people say they are seven, such as Joseph.

     

    Not going to say he isn't for sure, but anyone online can claim they are anything. On the internet, no one knows you're a dog (or cat ).

     

    If he really is that age, then by the TOS his parents should have set up his account and should be monitoring it.

    Wow, no one bothers to check my US Chess profile... I'm amazed how popular I am in the forums.

  • #9

    Josephyossi 😏

  • #10

    On a more serious note, younger people (& it's obvious that they're younger than 18 & even some kids albeit supervised) should be restricted to general areas & safeguards/ checkpoints in place to prevent access to more adult areas like open discussion, adult clubs, etc.

    Also that their inbox is monitored/ auto moderated, and that they know how to report anything untoward.

    This may already be the case, I've seen nothing & I'm vigilante, as are others, I just wouldn't know about their inbox, of course parents need to take responsibility also.

  • #11

    when you realize that so many chess players never matured past the age of 7, you will be making an official retraction.

  • #12

    Kids are just part of the game. I once missed a skewer in a USCF tournament game otb, and the kid I was playing started laughing at me.

  • #13

    a 7 year old bunny is an old bunny

  • #14
    chesster3145 wrote:

    I consider the age requirement of 18 years incredibly dumb

    It's just legal stuff to protect chess.com in court. No one actually cares if a toddler makes an account here. 

  • #15
    Brendan_UK wrote:

    On a more serious note, younger people (& it's obvious that they're younger than 18 & even some kids albeit supervised) should be restricted to general areas & safeguards/ checkpoints in place to prevent access to more adult areas like open discussion, adult clubs, etc.

    Also that their inbox is monitored/ auto moderated, and that they know how to report anything untoward.

    This may already be the case, I've seen nothing & I'm vigilante, as are others, I just wouldn't know about their inbox, of course parents need to take responsibility also.

    Yeah, and if we do it just right, we'll have an adult who will for the first time in his life at age 20, hear a naught word, and he'll have no idea how to react. Sounds like a good plan.

  • #16

    i'm not hearing enough naughty words - i'll just have to go watch george carlin on youtube ...

  • #17
    president_max wrote:

    i'm not hearing enough naughty words - i'll just have to go watch george carlin on youtube ...

    A cock is just an animal. These words weren't always dirty you know... they distort these words... and now somehow cocksucker means a bad man...

    ... but a good woman! How did they do that?!

    paraphrased Carlin

Top

Online Now