Forums

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

Sort:
artfizz

I received a call from a company selling emergency insurance. Their rep explained that if I had a gas leak, they would come out and fix it - however long it took. 'But I don't have gas', I said.

'What if I had a problem in the sewer pipes between my house and the main road', he asked. 'Wasn't that something to worry about?' 'My house isn't connected to the main sewers', I told him.

'That's a very unusual house', he commented, somewhat sceptically.

'Not really', I said. 'I live in the UK'.

'Ah, you live in THE UK.'

He thanked me for my time and rang off.

2200ismygoal

I would have played really stupid, like whats a house, whats a sewer

TheGrobe

First we sell you fear -- that's free, actually.

Then we sell you your peace of mind back for a nominal fee.

wormrose

In the U.S. we have a national "no-call" list. If you are on the list they can't call and try to sell you things. When they do call I just ask, "Why are you calling me? I'm on the no-call list." They will disconnect without so much as a word and you won't hear from them again.

Prior to the creation of the no-call law; whenever they would call I would answer and when they started with the pitch I would just set the phone down on the table and go on about my business.

artfizz
wormrose wrote:

In the U.S. we have a national "no-call" list. If you are on the list they can't call and try to sell you things. When they do call I just ask, "Why are you calling me? I'm on the no-call list." They will disconnect without so much as a word and you won't hear from them again.

Prior to the creation of the no-call law; whenever they would call I would answer and when they started with the pitch I would just set the phone down on the table and go on about my business.

I've only just realised that mobile numbers can be added to our no call list!

Conflagration_Planet
[COMMENT DELETED]
artfizz

We have three 'Do Not Post Junk' schemes - but they are designed to be ineffective.

wormrose

B-u-m-p

artfizz
wormrose wrote: B-u-m-p

... though not as ineffective as the ones on chess.com! Smile

GavinH

Stimulating . I have my phone set so that it automatically rejects "unknown" callers and the few that get through are fobbed off with a story about "my distrust of the banking system " and the fact that i don't have a current account . Works every time.

Also most marketing companies operate a "3 No rule " if you say "No" 3 times they terminate the call .

Have fun.

1pawndown

My favorite was always the lawn care company that called me every year to offer their services to maintain my lawn .... at a time when I lived in a third floor apartment.

kco

you could have an artifical lawn on your balcony. Wink

artfizz
kco wrote:

you could have an artifical lawn on your balcony.

We have that now. It's expensive.

Conflagration_Planet
Conflagration_Planet wrote:
[COMMENT DELETED]

I wonder why my comment was deleted. I don't even remember what it was now.

artfizz
[COMMENT DELETED]

Perhaps you wrote ["Comment Deleted]" in order to be mysterious? If so, it worked.
kco

Long time no see artfizz.

artfizz

Too busy answering unsolicited called about PPI-misselling and free boilers to blog.

wormrose

yo artfizz - many moons - no bump

Conflagration_Planet
artfizz wrote:
[COMMENT DELETED]

Perhaps you wrote ["Comment Deleted]" in order to be mysterious? If so, it worked.

?

artfizz

Dangerously back on topic ...

3 years ago, mobile numbers couldn't be added to the "No Call" List: now they can.

Isn't chess.com wonderful!