Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
shequan
turamon wrote:

there are so much comments. I don't want to read them all so perhaps this quesiton has been raised before ...

I don't really get why you HAVE to rename it. Everyone knows what is meant by it. If you HAVE to rename it, why not renaming it only once and call it what everyone else would call it? Correspondence Chess.

And if you have problems with the name online chess ... why not renaming live chess?? online chess is live chess too ... at least I'm often online at the same time my opponent is and this means that we're chating and making several moves within let's say five minutes ...

let's rename both and make it a pair like slow-fast ...

oh and btw I will not vote for anything because you don't offer to keep it like it is.

this is funny. I also get the sense that many times people who are playing "online" chess are both sitting there at the same time playing moves right after one another, may as well be live chess. but for some unknown reason if were go to on the live server and seek a 30-60 minute game, you'd be hard pressed to find a willing opponent.  though, if you seek an online game, you might well get someone who would basically play a 30-60 minute game with you, but via "online" chess. the only difference is that each player has the option to basically press "pause" on the game if they would like and come back to it a day later or something.

what if you could seek a 60 minute or longer game on the live server and there's an option whereby both players can agree to something like an adjournment if they can't/don't want to finish the whole game right there and then. agreeing to continue the game at a specified time in the future, if one doesn't show up within 10 minutes of the starting time they forfeit. have this be "standard" and what is "standard" now should become "rapid". maybe this is off topic a bit. but it is related to online chess and the habits of online chess users.

shequan
sarsaila wrote:

Probably there is something really bad with correspondence chess if a site where you can play CC is too ashamed to choose this name for it.

"Anytime chess" makes it sound that it is not chess, but a chess variant. Like Advanced Chess, Suicide Chess, Crazyhouse Chess, Bughouse. It is likely that the name will scare away serious chess players ("I want to play chess, not some crazy variant like").

I agree that this is a danger of using a name like "anytime" or "daily". chess people won't take it seriously. those names are only good for chess kids.

RealSelf

why not just make it the standard version and call it chess? And everything else as a variant; blitz, quick, 360, vote etc.

chess_kebabs

Give us this day our daily chess as we forgive those who enpassant against us, and lead us not into resigning temptation but deliver us from all blundering evils.

netzach

After hard days work, come home, put your feet up & enjoy a nice game of comfy chess.

TheGrobe

Comf eChess.

chess_kebabs
TheGrobe wrote:

Comf eChess.

That was good.

Ziryab
chess_kebabs wrote:

Give us this day our daily chess as we forgive those who enpassant against us, and lead us not into resigning temptation but deliver us from all blundering evils.

Amen

AnnaZC
Ziryab wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:

Amen

Now let us stand, and sing that hymn from the movie True Grit [2010]

Bex1p

cyber chess, interchess, chessticles, interchessting.

theriverman

No on Goo Goo Chess, Gaa Gaa Chess, and ?ComfECheSs?

winerkleiner
ploboo wrote:
winerkleiner wrote:

"Am/PM Chess"

"Week Long Chess"

Sorry for this one, "Geritol Chess" (spelling is probably wrong)

Do you mean "Genitol Chess"?

No I mean that product seniors use

winerkleiner

How about CC (short for Constipation Chess) because it takes so long) Smile

winerkleiner

"Continuous Chess"

chess_kebabs
winerkleiner wrote:

How about CC (short for Constipation Chess) because it takes so long)

haha Jerome - there's the winner!

Courtney-P

Internet Correspondence Chess  ICC

artfizz

Come-and-Go Chess

artfizz

Chess - As You Like It

winerkleiner

"Slack Play"

WiJi

I think you should keep it to online-chess; it covert what is supposed to mean