Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
Sooner

Good for you, jbird 39! Your comment should finally end the agony of all the empty-headed prattle that has been so abundant in this thread. I fear, however, that it won't. It seems that many are just amusing themselves by making a silly game of it by seeing how clever they can be. Sophistry, in a word.

chessplayer11

Okay, so even though no transmission is leaving the site. It's still correspondence? Well, hell's bells, everything online should have correspondence before the title. Correspondence forums, Correspondence twitter, Correspondence Chess960, etc.

himath2009

Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves - for we shall never cease to be amused...

chessplayer11
TheGrobe wrote:
chessplayer11 wrote:

I meant, how is it an official term for the modern way it's played here. No one is disputing what it was called back in 1909.

The ICCF is a current organization.  I'm sure they added the "webserver" verbiage sometime after being founded in 1951....

It appears to have not changed since 2007, and they still play by sending the moves directly to players. Nothing like this site.

From their site:

When your opponent moves you get an email notification like this:

Subject: ICCF: Last name, First moves Qxh5 Message from your opponent:

Hi Franklin,
Blah, blah, blah, etc.

Talk later,
name

[Event "1st WS USCCC-P03"]
[Site "ICCF"]
[Date "2005.4.17"]
[Round "-"]
[White "Campbell, J. Franklin"]
[Black "Last, First"]
[Result "*"]
[WhiteElo "2129"]
[BlackElo "nnnn"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.Qc2 O-O 5.a3 Bxc3+
6.Qxc3 b6 7.Bg5 Bb7 8.e3 d6 9.f3 Nbd7 10.Nh3 c5

Your time left: 45 days 0:00
Opponent time left: 42 days 0:00

ICCF - The International Correspondence Chess Federation www.iccf.com www.iccf-webchess.com

And while their site has an overwhelming number of active members on it. 24 right now, all guests. I can see how they are "official." Undecided

In a single hour on this site has more players than a month there.

In chess this move is called desperado, I believe?

TheGrobe

I'll repeat:  The medium itself is irrelevant.

Turn based play here is non-concurrent communication of chess moves over a distance just like it was with telegraph, just like it was with postcards and just like it was with e-mail.

Correspondence is an entirely appropriate -- in fact, a perfect -- adjective.

netzach

As one nod to modernity spam-free Corresponence Chess would be very pleasant.

chessplayer11
ncpharaoh wrote:

changeabout. cycle chess. circumvolution chess. spin chess. mutation chess. warpchess. contention chess. commission chess. imbibe chess.

I kinda like Cycle chess. Just liked the simplicity of it at first, but it does fit as well under several definitions of it.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cycle

2b. one complete performance of a vibration, electric oscillation, current alternation, or other periodic process.

And

4. a long period of time

Many may think of it as meaning only a loop or bicycle, but it stays simple and does have a certain catchiness to it. It allows branding and future changes to how the game could develop. It also distinguishes it from how chess960 is played here, (which the name would also need to be looked up to know what it is.)

It also kind of fits in with Erik's picks of: Daily, Slow (bleh), Anytime (no better than online), etc. And his view (which I agree with) that Correspondence Chess is "such a long and awkward word."

chessplayer11
TheGrobe wrote:

I'll repeat:  The medium itself is irrelevant.

Turn based play here is non-concurrent communication of chess moves over a distance just like it was with telegraph, just like it was with postcards and just like it was with e-mail.

Correspondence is an entirely appropriate -- in fact, a perfect -- adjective.

But doesn't correspondence means essentially sending a message from one place to another? If the "message" never leaves the server, then how is it a correspondence?

I'll remind you I don't check my email to play and I'd imagine that many also don't. Especially ones that play 20+ games at a time, so they can come back whenever and continue their games in progress.

Maybe if most people played one or two games with a 10 day interval between moves, then it could be more useful to get notified. But why not just go to the site itself rather than check your email to see if it's your turn?

TheGrobe

How did it get to the server?  How does it get to your computer?

chessplayer11
ibiwisi wrote:

I earlier suggested "Simultaneous Chess" or "Simul Chess," but the idea was met with resounding silence, so I'll move on.

Simultaneous Chess has more to do with the style of the player and not much to do with the style or method of play.

In a similar sense you could call it Audio chess since some players may like the sound effects. But this doesn't really describe the game, but rather the player's preference.

I myself don't see much point in playing 50 games at once, and would hope that in the future they will implement a system that allows me to play against people who tend to play few games as well, so that I know they are more likely putting more thought into their play, without me having to hunt for these people myself. You can already play against people who tend to make quicker moves.

chessplayer11
TheGrobe wrote:

Packets of data are sent. Same way Live Chess works.

Metaright
erik wrote:

Later we hated that name and changed it to "Online Chess". But all chess is online...

I know it's a little late in the topic, but how is all chess online?

chessplayer11
Metaright wrote:
erik wrote:

Later we hated that name and changed it to "Online Chess". But all chess is online...

I'm fairly sure he meant all chess play online here.

Metaright
chessplayer11 wrote:
Metaright wrote:
erik wrote:

I'm fairly sure he meant all chess play online here.

Ah. I was thinking that, but I wan'tsure why he worded it like that.

Ziryab
TheGrobe wrote:

Yeah, there seems to be a misconception that correspondence refers specifically to mail.  Mail is one example of correspondence, and since it was such a good adjective to describe it they became somewhat synonymous.

If you look at the actual definition of correspondence, it's non-concurrent distance communication between parties.  The medium itself is irrelevant.  In that sense, it's actually the perfect adjective for turn based chess here.

Your point seems to be an extremely difficuly one to grasp. Most folks just don't see it that way.

chessplayer11

Distance isn't relevant. I can play someone in china as easily as in my very own home. Just one more reason why it doesn't fit anymore.

Not sure why the temporal aspect is ignored, as that is the only way to accurately describe it. Else you could be describing any type of chess played here with that term.

TheGrobe
chessplayer11 wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

So it doesn't all stay on the server....

Ziryab
TheGrobe wrote:
chessplayer11 wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

So it doesn't all stay on the server....

It all stays on the server, but is visible on your screen because information was sent to you. I sorta think that's what you said.

ChazR
cookiemonster161140 wrote:
e4nf3 wrote:

Easy for you to say. When was the last time you wrote a letter...make that typed a letter on a typewriter?

I go back not only to the electric typewriter but the manual typewriters. I go back to ice boxes, radio days and carbon paper.

With all due respect, Cookiemonster, the next time you go back, please stay there.  Samuel Morse is dead and do is his code unless you are traped in a air pocket in a capsized boat and have to bang out SOS.  Welcome to the 21st century.

TheGrobe

Well, my moves originate with me, it doesn't get to the server until I enter it into my computer and submit it, and even then it still has to make it's way to my opponent's computer, who may or may not be present to see it.

If that's not correspondence, I don't know what is.