Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
Stevelaldridge

Its all on line what about instant and delayed , i dont like correspondence or pigeon post. Status quo is also an option

e4nf3

couch potato chess

ChazR

It is a pity that the Great Bard of Avon is not alive to help us in this quest.

The prolonged discussion about the best name for correspondence chess is what has me rolling on the floor laughing.

It is the same silliness which has turned the perfectly good word “preventative” into the trendy, modern word “proactive.”  It is not cool to do “preventative maintenance.”  Now, you have to take “proactive action” (as if that isn’t a redundancy).

Is something improved by giving it a new name?  Would the telegraph been better if it were called “electronic mail”?  Not really. 

Call “on-line chess” anything you want.  People will figure it out.

Shakespeare probably would have called it “that thingy lonely people doth do to pass the tyme.” 

TheGrobe

Preventive. Preventative isn't a word.

chess_kebabs

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/preventative

Noun 1.

preventative - remedy that prevents or slows the course of an illness or disease; "the doctor recommended several preventatives"

Noun 2.

preventative - any obstruction that impedes or is burdensome

Noun 3. preventative - an agent or device intended to prevent conception

Adj. 1. preventative - tending to prevent or hinder

Adj. 2. preventative - preventing or contributing to the prevention of disease; "preventive medicine"; "vaccines are prophylactic"; "a prophylactic drug"

ChazR

You're right, 

You like being right.

Sooner
TheGrobe wrote:

Preventive. Preventative isn't a word.

Actually, preventative is a word, but it is substandard English. See: http://grammarist.com/spelling/preventative-preventive/. I must say, though, that I am more than a little surprised that ChazR, who strongly gives the impression that he thinks he is the most brilliant light in the chess.com firmament, would use less than the best English available to him, since the word preventative is considerably less than the "perfectly good word" which he asserts it is.

TheGrobe

I stand corrected. Interesting, though that the adjective definition above is incorrect (preventive is the adjective -- eg. preventive maintenance, whereas preventative is the noun -- eg. preventive maintenance is a good preventative against breakdowns). It even goes as far as to use the right word, preventive, in the example sentence.

Usage was still incorrect in post 1056 above, though.

Sooner

ChazR, I don't think it's a pity at all "that the Great Bard of Avon is not alive to help us in this quest" to find a new name for "online chess" or "turn-based chess." After all, we do have you; and you give the strong impression that you know far more than anyone else on the site about Shakespeare. Can't you just step in for him?

xqsme

Could someone please list the the names of the other systems still available for playing chess on  the internet? This is the only one I know of.

Sooner

Wrong again, TheGrobe. See: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/preventative. Preventative is used interchangeabley as a noun or an adjective.

himath2009
When we are done here, we can turn our attention to music - there are so many archaic terms there that could benefit from our newspeak zeal...
Sooner

Actually, my zeal is for oldspeak to a certain extent, not newspeak. Perhaps "traditionalspeak" would be a more apt term for my meaning.

xqsme

Takes all kinds....so long as we are not unduly fardelled by bared bodkins.

TheGrobe

Preventative is disputed.

himath2009

Sooner wrote:

Actually, my zeal is for oldspeak to a certain extent, not newspeak. Perhaps "traditional speak" would be a more apt term for my meaning................

I know, Gerry, I was not referring to you... Just wanted to make a point that what should have been a simple and done discussion on whether one should adhere to the (obvious, to me at least) name "Correspondence Chess" or not, is turning into a tedious thread with an Orwellian (or Kafkaesque, if you prefer) flavour to it...

e4nf3

chess for the lethargic

Sooner

You got that right, Hari! This thread became a verbal analogue to the carnival house of mirrors long ago and, like Boris Karloff's "The Mummy," continues ever to make its slow, laborious, senseless, but ineluctable way onward, dragging one leg along behind it all the while.

BigLew

CHECK CHESS! You have to CHECK in daily to CHECK on the progress of your game, to see if your opponent worked his way out of CHECK and is only a couple of moves from putting you in CHECK mate.

Sooner
TheGrobe wrote:

Preventative is disputed.

Your authority?