Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
winerkleiner

How about "Hippie Chess" aka "Up in Smoke"?  or

"Casual Dressed Chess" aka "Holes in your Jeans Chess/Clothes Optional Chess" Smile

shamus_72
chess_kebabs wrote:
Therell wrote:

How about the term "Anytime Chess"

It was already suggested and Erik did like it. His favs were 'Daily Chess' and 'Anytime Chess', at one point anyway.

I dont like it at alllll

chess_kebabs
shamus_72 wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:
Therell wrote:

It was already suggested and Erik did like it. His favs were 'Daily Chess' and 'Anytime Chess', at one point anyway.

I dont like it at alllll

I don't either,  but I'm past caring. :)

More concerned about navigational and bug issues here.. 

netzach
chess_kebabs wrote:
shamus_72 wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:
Therell wrote:

I dont like it at alllll

:) The world need's bug forum then ? 

chess_kebabs
netzach wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:
shamus_72 wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:
Therell wrote:

I dont like it at alllll

:) The world need's bug forum then ? 

There are already plenty of those in the New Design Feedback Group. :)

or am I missing a joke here?   lol

netzach

No Babs lol ! Yet the forums become quite '' unwieldy '' difficult to track awareness/resolution of problems..

madhacker

Dead chess (as opposed to live chess)

Fritz-assisted chess

chess_kebabs
netzach wrote:

No Babs lol ! Yet the forums become quite '' unwieldy '' difficult to track awareness/resolution of problems..

I know Aidan.. crazy hey.. lol

chess_kebabs
madhacker wrote:

Dead chess (as opposed to live chess)

Fritz-assisted chess

lol at Fritz-assisted chess. Well not all players use engines, sooooooo...

and also I think maybe it should  be called NO ENGINES ALLOWED CHESS! Just to get the message across to those who might have missed it. Though as some here already know I would like to see a separate rated pool for engine users.. have 2 pools, the  nice clean one and the one for the engine addicts. 

Dead chess has been suggested before but it was buried. :)

yue5000
TheGrobe wrote:

How about this:

The game formerly known as online chess? lol

ncpharaoh

changeabout. cycle chess. circumvolution chess. spin chess. mutation chess. warpchess. contention chess. commission chess. imbibe chess.

TheGrobe
chess_kebabs wrote:

and also I think maybe it should  be called NO ENGINES ALLOWED CHESS! Just to get the message across to those who might have missed it. Though as some here already know I would like to see a separate rated pool for engine users.. have 2 pools, the  nice clean one and the one for the engine addicts. 

chess_kebabs

We shall see TheGrobe. ;)

madhacker

I love the way the nouns applied here are "users" and "addicts".

Strong stuff, these chess engines!

chess_kebabs

hehe.. yes they are. :)

xqsme

Why not consider contents of "Chess World Hot Line" for Bona Fide Fun?

Pawnpusher3

I still think it should be correspondence

ibiwisi

Erik:  With respect, I don't think the name "Anytime Chess" is optimal, because it doesn't capture the "essence" of Online Chess as opposed to Live Chess.  After all, I can play Live Chess "Anytime" I want, also!

I earlier suggested "Simultaneous Chess" or "Simul Chess," but the idea was met with resounding silence, so I'll move on.

I like "Days-Per-Move Chess" (which we could informally dub "DPM Chess") as the most descriptive, but it's not very poetic or evocative.

Ultimately, I keep coming back to "eCorrespondence Chess," "Digital Correspondence Chess," or "Virtual Correspondence Chess," because these are descriptive and familiar, and also because Correspondence Chess (aka Postal Chess, not to be confused with my behavior immediately after I hit the "Submit" button (grin)) has a robust and storied history in the annals of world chess.  I kind of like the idea of dusting off the old moniker, shining it up for the digital age (preferably with the "e" prefix), and giving this hoary brand of chess a new life.

chess_kebabs

I think we should get ready to see  'Daily Chess' here.. Erik's first preference. :p

xqsme

NB only about 1800 votes so far out of huge membership !