Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
chessplayer11
TheGrobe wrote:

Well, my moves originate with me, it doesn't get to the server until I enter it into my computer and submit it, and even then it still has to make it's way to my opponent's computer, who may or may not be present to see it.

If that's not correspondence, I don't know what is.

You just described live chess and chess960 as well.

chessplayer11

I wonder if any one is able to state at least three things that Traditional Correspondence Chess actually have in common with Online Chess here.

The only similarity I can find is the amount of time it takes.

So far all I got is that no one can deal with change. I await your failure. Cool

chessplayer11
Sooner wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

Mine is actually literal-minded as well.

I think TheGrobe's approach to the naming issue is conceptual, not literal, because his emphasis is on the concept of two distant chess players playing a game of chess by long-distance transmissions of their moves regardless of the literal means of the transmission. That means that the term "correspondence chess" can reasonably and understandably with historical continuity be used to designate any of them and is thus the best name. That's very different from chessplayer11's idea that, somehow, the literal means of transmission requires a different name for each one. His thinking is therefore not very sophisticated or flexible, to put the best face on it.

"be used to designate any of them and is..."

"...requires a different name for each one."

If only anyone knew to what you were referring to. And to go ad hominem, which is expected by now as you have no real argument, you thought that the survey for a new name was an election.

AlCzervik

Time for an omelette.

TheGrobe
chessplayer11 wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

Well, my moves originate with me, it doesn't get to the server until I enter it into my computer and submit it, and even then it still has to make it's way to my opponent's computer, who may or may not be present to see it.

If that's not correspondence, I don't know what is.

You just described live chess and chess960 as well.

I'm beginning to think you're being deliberately obtuse.

My description above was in response to your specific objection that information never leaves the server, and as such sets aside the other elements of "correspondence" that also apply -- namely, the non-concurrent nature of the communication.

Live chess is concurrent by definition, and so is not correspondence.

960's just a red herring altogether.  Of course it's correspondence, just like regular correspondence chess here.  That's not what differentiates it.

TheGrobe
chessplayer11 wrote:

I wonder if any one is able to state at least three things that Traditional Correspondence Chess actually have in common with Online Chess here.

So far all I got is that no one can deal with change. I await your failure.

• Communication over a distance
  • Non-concurrent gameplay
  • It's chess
unohoo

Still don't know if Erik calls it multi-day tournaments why it shouldn't be called multi-day chess

TheGrobe

Becuase they should be called correspondence tournaments.

Ziryab

Do your own homework. No less than seventeen have been named in this thread so far.

chessplayer11 wrote:

So far all I got is that no one can deal with change. I await your failure.

TheGrobe

I'm coming to the conclusion that he's just trolling.  Surely he can't be that obtuse without it being intentional.

MilitaryBloc

How about naming it "Turtle Chess , sloth chess , gradual chess,leisurely chess, chess bit by bit," I hope Erik you will like at least one. I got some more names. " custom chess, erik chess or Bloc chess ( based leisurely online correspondence) . well Erik "Daily chess " is a nice word.

Stampnl

"Slow chess" clearly expresses the main distinction with blitz chess and also it sounds ok.

xqsme

DID you see post 920..."Chess Restante''?

e4nf3

chess for dunderheads

TheGrobe
xqsme wrote:

DID you see post 920..."Chess Restante''?

Captures it nicely, but I had to look it up, so it's problematic in that respect.

xqsme

Has intruiging elements then , and broadens the mind.Could be a rewarding gambit... bird in hand saves lot of b(l)eating about in bush !

himath2009

eddiewsox

How about CCC, Computer Corespondence Chess?

ChazR

After fifty pages, I suggest Staff summarize the list to ten choices and call the question for a vote.  Maybe eleven choices, including, "Who cares."

chess_kebabs

or 12 choices.. "We will choose what 'we' like the best, regardless of what the majority likes".