Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
chess_kebabs
Ziryab wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:

Correspondence chess does sound like one will be sending their move via 'correspondence/mail'. 

We are corresponding via a website.

Correspondence chess is the umbrella term under which exist postal (mail), email (neuvo mail), and turn-based (an irritating neologism for web-based corespondence). Perhaps the telegraph matches that were the rage in the mid-nineteenth centuy were another form of correspondence chess, even though some of these were synchronous.

what about morse code chess? lol

sirness

"Anytime Chess"

chess_kebabs
sirness wrote:

"Anytime Chess"

That implies you can move anytime when  there are still time restrictions. :)

sirness

True :0)

CroSSGunS

Morse code is the shortened frequency-based alphabet of dots and dashes that are sent via telegraphs.

chess_kebabs
CroSSGunS wrote:

Morse code is the shortened frequency-based alphabet of dots and dashes that are sent via telegraphs.

I think  most know what morse code is, was just asking did people ever play long distance chess via morse code communication.. 

chess_kebabs
CorfitzUlfeldt wrote:

As a lot of other people suggests: call it "correspondence chess".

It is true that a lot of new players don't know the meaning of that, but neither will they know the meaning of any other fancy name you happen to think up.

Chances are that they will learn the meaning! It is perfectly possible for any human being to learn the meaning of the term "correspondence chess" when used on this website. :)

I agree.

It's already universally known amongst many chess players within chess.com and out of chess.com. 

And it's virtually impossible to think of another 'accurate'  name for what it is that everyone will get what it is supposed to mean. 

And if it's the 'official' recognised name then I vote to stick with it. Maybe have a little disclaimer under the heading, explaining what it is. Or at least as I mentioned before have a video presenting to all new members explaining all the features within chess.com, showing how to navigate around the site, and what extra benefits/features you can get through premium memberships. 

It wouldn't hurt when you create such a video to send it out to all existing chess.com members as well. Especially with the new site  being up.. but maybe wait til all the bugs are ironed out first.  :)

LikeTheLake

Hi.  I would like to offer a different name if I may;

Offline Chess

Thanks.

chessplayer11

Following the KISS principle and following the rule that titles don't have to be accurate to sell. (what's an ebay anyway?)
You can call it simply Daily Chess or Daily Play Chess. (While the first is preferred under my made up rules, the second may be better to new players as it says play in the title and may not go overlooked as easily as some feature they'll never check out. The word Play lets them know they'll be playing that when they click it, whereas Daily Chess may have them think it's just something like daily news about chess or whatever, and they'll never click it to see.)

If you want to use simple words, you'll never find one that fits perfectly or you'll end up with bad ones like Periodic Chess. (Or from what I've seen, every single suggestion given so far.)

There's the not so much loved Around-the-clock Chess and Intermittent Chess. Ripple Chess. Irregular Chess. Menstrual Chess.

24/7 Chess
Interval Chess
Daily Interval Chess
Daily Turn-Based Chess

Then there's always Dead Chess in contrast to Live Chess. (People would probably click on that just to see what it is.)

sapientdust

Correspondence Chess. Anybody who doesn't know what that means wouldn't know what any of the other suggested alternatives mean either.

Sooner
chess_kebabs wrote:
CorfitzUlfeldt wrote:

As a lot of other people suggests: call it "correspondence chess".

It is true that a lot of new players don't know the meaning of that, but neither will they know the meaning of any other fancy name you happen to think up.

Chances are that they will learn the meaning! It is perfectly possible for any human being to learn the meaning of the term "correspondence chess" when used on this website. :)

I agree.

It's already universally known amongst many chess players within chess.com and out of chess.com. 

And it's virtually impossible to think of another 'accurate'  name for what it is that everyone will get what it is supposed to mean. 

And if it's the 'official' recognised name then I vote to stick with it. Maybe have a little disclaimer under the heading, explaining what it is. Or at least as I mentioned before have a video presenting to all new members explaining all the features within chess.com, showing how to navigate around the site, and what extra benefits/features you can get through premium memberships. 

It wouldn't hurt when you create such a video to send it out to all existing chess.com members as well. Especially with the new site  being up.. but maybe wait til all the bugs are ironed out first.  :)

I strongly agree. Let's not get too cute about it. What chess.com calls "online chess" is nothing but a computerized version of correspondence chess. Give people some credit. They can handle such a "weighty" phrase.

whitebull

There is no better choice than "Online Chess."

Sooner

But isn't all chess on this site online? So how does "online chess" differentiate  correspondence chess from other kinds of chess on the site?

Metastable

"Online Torpid Chess" then?

Sooner
Metastable wrote:

"Online Torpid Chess" then?

This comment exemplifies the cuteness that is utterly irrelevant to the conversation and only clutters it. Can't we stay on point?

JoshuaChess960

Turn-based Games ? But Correspondence chess sounds better.....

GreenPumpkin31

Online Correspondence Chess?
Correspondence Chess = sounds like mail

Online Chess = all chess is online O_o

So..... Online Correspondence Chess!
Genius! ^_^ 

forkmate

ChessMail?

theriverman

The word 'correspondence' reminds me of playing chess by mail. The word itself should be in a spelling bee.

'Daily Chess' or something like that  is needed. Simple , short and sweet to the mind.

Turn off the left, think with the right and create something. 

blitzs4

correspondence sounds more appropiate