Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Bubatz

It's Online Correspondence Chess. This also explains why opening books and databases (without computer evaluations) are allowed.

chess_kebabs

Erik wants a name that everyone will understand what it means. 'Online Chess' doesn't tell the members what it actually is. Live chess is also played online, so many will be confused by the term. 

It  really depends if what's  wanted is  something catchy or something more accurate to say what it actually is. 'Daily chess' has a nice warm ring to it, but does it really describe what it is? Nope.

Any name chosen is going to fail in explaining what it is, whether it be a  new name that is more catchy or a name that is not catchy but more accurate like 'Correspondence Chess', unless a little education comes with it. A simple small line underneath the heading on pages, or an article or video presented to all  new members and also sent to all existing members  explaining what 'Correspondence Chess' or 'Daily Chess' is or whatever name is chosen is, the various options on how to play the games and also how Live Chess works, as well as listing the other features of chess.com. Giving everyone a proper tour of the site.  I've met people who didn't know what Live chess was so never went into it and as mentioned  before I've met people who only played Live and didn't  know Correspondence Chess existed here and how it worked. It's like when you join a large gym, the staff give you a tour so you're ofay with everything and will know your way around the place well the next time you visit.  But I think more will watch a video than read a long wordy article.

GreenPumpkin31

Comeon guys. If you people can learn the words "prophylaxis" "zugzwang" "Zwischenzug" then 
"Correspondence" Is an easy word to use and understand..

Besides we can always name it Online Correspondence Chess. Which imo is perfect. 

FORAA

a welcome tour (intro) for new members would be very helpful for group admins too.

thanks for the idea, babs.

netzach

Main Chess ?  ( is my suggestion:) (main-chess, live-chess, chess960, etc:)

(reasoning being corrospondence-chess is the main type of chess played on the site for groups & teams along with individual challenges. All the others are chess-variants...)

Pawnpusher3

Id say correspondence chess

garyobennett

"Post Chess" as in "postal.  Short.  Maybe at first confusing, but I think we get it.  No?

garyobennett

Maybe "Postal Chess" has a better ring to it.

garyobennett

Then "going postal" will have a new meaning, a preferable one.

bcoburn2

how bout - delayed chess.

chess_kebabs
bcoburn2 wrote:

how bout - delayed chess.

It's negative sounding, like 'Slow chess' is. 

netzach

like that ! '' engine-free,regularly-monitored,squeeky-clean,new&improved,fair,correspondence/cheat-free/postal/chess.. '' :)

Pawnpusher3

Lol Its kinda obvious no engines re allowed

FORAA

in-line?

theriverman
netzach wrote:

like that ! '' engine-free,regularly-monitored,squeeky-clean,new&improved,fair,correspondence/cheat-free/postal/chess.. '' :)

You are on to something. Let me know.  lol

theriverman

Online Chess and Correspondence Chess both are general terms. 

erik
sirness wrote:

"Anytime Chess"

i actually like that... (not making a decision, just noting a good name i hadn't thought of)

netzach
theriverman wrote:
netzach wrote:

You are on to something. Let me know.  lol

Simplifies to: Efrmscnifccfpc Chess

Still hard to pronounce though... :)

theriverman

Controlled Response Chess?  Tongue out

theriverman

Anytime Chess.....hmmmm.  Simple.  Erik you may be on to something!!