Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
erik

When we started Chess.com 5 years ago, we had only one kind of chess to play. At first we called it email chess. Then shortened it to "echess". Later we hated that name and changed it to "Online Chess". But all chess is online...

Anyway, we're stuck with this problem where we have "Live Chess" and .... the other kind. Turn-based, correspondence... there are lots of old-school names for it. But they all fail for one reason or another and Chess.com has had an impossible time trying to rename "Online Chess". 

So... what do YOU think it should be called? Debate it here in this forum, and make sure to answer the survey!

Click here to vote on the name! 

FORAA

This type of chess is called "Correspondence Chess" everywhere.

Voted!  Wink

Clavius

All internet chess is on-line and turn-based and only some of it is daily.  Agree with Omer_Hayyam that Correspondence Chess is time-honored and internationally recognized.

erik

i know that... but it's such a long and awkward word. plus, i'd say only 10% of our users would know what that means (there are a lot of casual players on the site)

kco

you mean you are still using the envelope, letter and a stamp ?

DrawMaster
How about cChess (correspondence shortened up and catchier)?
FORAA
erik wrote:

i know that... but it's such a long and awkward word. plus, i'd say only 10% of our users would know what that means (there are a lot of casual players on the site)

it seems that you don't like the word itself but it's exactly what we need to describe this type of chess. guess, only 10% or less of our members have tried it yet. so we won't lose anything. 

FORAA
kco wrote:

you mean you are still using the envelope, letter and a stamp ?

Correspondence Chess is via server or postal. Both are used actually.

chess_kebabs

It's difficult to find any other word that says exactly what it is other than the ones already in use on sites, as you mentioned Erik. Only option would be to choose something catchy like DrawMaster has suggested to make it original. 

chess_kebabs

Will put my thinking cap on at the gym later this morning.. it will give me something to take my mind of the pain. Yell

Spiffe

Personally, I like calling it "Online".  It's correspondence-pace, but there's no actual correspondence; it's facilitated by the online interface here.

kco

"tracking turn off"

ozzie_c_cobblepot

I was recently reflecting on the fact that "Online Chess" is a better word for what you call "Live Chess", and that "Live Chess" is a reasonable word for "OTB Chess".

Now then, I don't think that turn-based is "Offline", but it's not really "Online" either.

So what about something addressing the looooooong amount of time the games take, as in, "relaxing chess", or "days per move chess". "Message Chess".

No, those are terrible.

baddogno

How about DC? Short for Digital Correspondence.  Make people dive deep into the help pages to find out what it means.  Sounds catchy...

baddogno

On second thought.....Let's just stick to correspondence chess.

Metastable
baddogno wrote:

How about DC? Short for Digital Correspondence.  Make people dive deep into the help pages to find out what it means.  Sounds catchy...

That's not bad, actually!

erik

my vote is "Daily Chess". because you play with "day" time controls. second would be "Slow Chess" :)

chess_kebabs

Daily Chess gives the impression you have to  move every day..  

FORAA

or it also may give another impression like you need to stay on PC the whole day?

baddogno

Okay, I've changed my mind again.  DC is great as long as you never ever explain what it stands for.  Some will argue it means "daily chess", others "digital correspondence" and some "digital chess".  It's short, it's catchy, and it has an air of mystery about it.