Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
Bex1p
chess_kebabs wrote:
Bex1p wrote:

according to the online rank, there are just over 252,000 players.

Do you mean online now?

No its been at taht for a while, on my stats, i am ranked 90 something thousand out of 252000.

Sooner

_valentin_, the English term "correspondence" doesn't refer exclusively to postal mail, either. Besides, we all have access to dictionaries, both online and in book form. Don't we think that anyone who doesn't already know what "correspondence" means and were interested enough in playing chess on the site would look it up and find out what it means?

chess_kebabs
netzach wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:
netzach wrote:

Wow, that's perceptive & intelligent comment!  Reading between the lines think what Erik want's is crisp,sharp,modern presentation of the site so it has broad-appeal & fences with competing-sites ?

& why not ?? ( as long as chess & it's tradition respected anything goes )

@chess_kebabs (post#654)

Look at a sites such as '' Chesscube ''' for example there is a world of difference in appearnce & though chess.com better does not want to miss picking up new-members browsing around the web ?

Well if changing the name to something that is very casual will make a 'signficant' difference to gaining more members, gaining more paying members, and possibly more advertisers as a result, hence more money coming into the site, then I would support that if it means more money being available and used for further site developments. 

Like some said it might attract more of the casual players.. not the serious players, I don't know.. I know for myself whatever the name is called for these types of games is not going to be the deciding factor if I joined or not. 'Understanding' what's available here would be more important to me.

Agree Babs. Think first-impressions count & with Erik on that (Is good-business). Doubt serious chess-players would be turned-off by modern appearance. Are intelligent people & would quickly navigate to what they need.

Sure Aidan, but I'm not a serious chess player in the sense I don't play in OTB tournaments or study hard like the pros here, and I know it wouldn't put me off playing if I saw the name 'Correspondence Chess', I would just want to know how the games worked.. 

If 'daily chess' is the chosen name, some education should come with it, as in what the heck does it mean.. as with any name chosen as we all pretty much agreed on one thing.. all names fail to describe the style of play to everyone..  

Sooner

babs, in reference to my post #662 and your #665, Erik's post calling for a vote is in post #1! If Erick were just going to choose a name he likes regardless of what a majority of voters want, why would he call for a vote? None would be needed for that.

chessplayer11
Sooner wrote:

[...]Therefore, the preference expressed by the votes should be given greater weight; and those preferences should be given great deference by Erik. After all, presumably, the customers of the site provide him and his staff their bread and butter. Successful businesses satisfy the majority of their customers. So should he. Erik asked for the preference of his customers by a vote. He got it, and it is for "correspondence chess." So he should replace the term "online chess" with "correspondence chess" on the basis of the preference expressed in the vote. Also, we don't have to assume that the members who voted for "correspondence chess" are a good sample of the general membership. Everyone was free to vote. Some did; some did not. We don't have to assume anything. We just need to count the votes.

I must have missed the part where erik said that the top vote there would be the deciding factor for a name change.

I imagine that it's simply a way to get you guys to come up with new names for him and get a basic feel for what you what, nothing more.

I doubt you guys have any real input, like it or not. You're just being used to come up with names, and when/if he sees one he likes, that'll will be the choice.

Don't try to believe that some poll will be the deciding factor regardless of how many people voted.

chess_kebabs
Bex1p wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:
Bex1p wrote:

according to the online rank, there are just over 252,000 players.

Do you mean online now?

No its been at taht for a while, on my stats, i am ranked 90 something thousand out of 252000.

Ah yes, forgot about that stat, duh... 

Well there you go.. 252,000 is nowhere near 5 million. That's more like 1/20th of 5 million, roughly. 

chess_kebabs

Obviously did not get my calculator out.. :)

chess_kebabs
Sooner wrote:

babs, in reference to my post #662 and your #665, Erik's post calling for a vote is in post #1! If Erick were just going to choose a name he likes regardless of what a majority of voters want, why would he call for a vote? None would be needed for that.

lol. ok ok.. well then let's see what name gets chosen in the end. ;)

netzach
chess_kebabs wrote:
netzach wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:
netzach wrote:

Wow, that's perceptive & intelligent comment!  Reading between the lines think what Erik want's is crisp,sharp,modern presentation of the site so it has broad-appeal & fences with competing-sites ?

& why not ?? ( as long as chess & it's tradition respected anything goes )

@chess_kebabs (post#654)

Look at a sites such as '' Chesscube ''' for example there is a world of difference in appearnce & though chess.com better does not want to miss picking up new-members browsing around the web ?

Well if changing the name to something that is very casual will make a 'signficant' difference to gaining more members, gaining more paying members, and possibly more advertisers as a result, hence more money coming into the site, then I would support that if it means more money being available and used for further site developments. 

Like some said it might attract more of the casual players.. not the serious players, I don't know.. I know for myself whatever the name is called for these types of games is not going to be the deciding factor if I joined or not. 'Understanding' what's available here would be more important to me.

Agree Babs. Think first-impressions count & with Erik on that (Is good-business). Doubt serious chess-players would be turned-off by modern appearance. Are intelligent people & would quickly navigate to what they need.

Sure Aidan, but I'm not a serious chess player in the sense I don't play in OTB tournaments or study hard like the pros here, and I know it wouldn't put me off playing if I saw the name 'Correspondence Chess', I would just want to know how the games worked.. 

If 'daily chess' is the chosen name, some education should come with it, as in what the heck does it mean.. as with any name chosen as we all pretty much agreed on one thing.. all names fail to describe the style of play to everyone..  

All right then & if '' Correspondence Chess '' is popular-vote & to be retained is then question of aesthetics/presentation which leads back to previous post of mine :)

netzach wrote:

In order not to cheapen or denigrate the noble tradition of the '' Game of Kings '', perhaps the answer lies simply in maintaining that whilst using smaller type-size as the prefix ?

asynchronousChess

correspondenceChess

Bex1p

Will the sites name be changed too?Everytime i log on somethings up for change.

chess_kebabs

correspondenceChess  'looks' good Aidan! 

And yes, also it's integrity is kept. :)

chessplayer11
chess_kebabs wrote:

And we can see by how many people are playing Live chess at any one time, usually somewhere  between 5000 and 8000 members, that 5 million active members is very inaccurate. As well as how many are online in chess.com at any one time... right at this second there are 4,974 members online. 

Interesting that in the game Starcraft broodwar, a 14 year old game, ancient by video game standards and also free to play on now currently has 17,198 users playing 3811 games on one of their four servers.

It's weird to think of growing a site where the entire world's population of chess players are probably already on it.

chess_kebabs
Sooner wrote:

_valentin_, the English term "correspondence" doesn't refer exclusively to postal mail, either. Besides, we all have access to dictionaries, both online and in book form. Don't we think that anyone who doesn't already know what "correspondence" means and were interested enough in playing chess on the site would look it up and find out what it means?

I don't think anyone should have to look it up, I think they should be told.. in a video or even have perhaps a link that will take you to a description of what it is, but within chess.com .. not take you to a dictionary or outside site description. 

Sooner

netzach, don't you think the term "asynchronous" is very geeky? "Correspondence" and "chess" are part of everyday, ordinary English. Let's keep it simple: Correspondence Chess.

netzach
chessplayer11 wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:

And we can see by how many people are playing Live chess at any one time, usually somewhere  between 5000 and 8000 members, that 5 million active members is very inaccurate. As well as how many are online in chess.com at any one time... right at this second there are 4,974 members online. 

Interesting that in the game Starcraft broodwar, a 14 year old game, ancient by video game standards and also free to play on now currently has 17,198 users playing 3811 games on one of their four servers.

It's weird to think of growing a site where the entire world's population of chess players are probably already on it.

Well lol & indeed ! So they will all argue & debate !!

However new-people are being born every day... Smile

Bex1p

You could argue that playing chess on your computer is very geeky, if so then i be a geek.

chess_kebabs
chessplayer11 wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:

If Erik himself believed the entire world's population of chess players are already here we wouldn't be here discussing a  new name of Correspondence Chess. lol.

netzach
Sooner wrote:

netzach, don't you think the term "asynchronous" is very geeky? "Correspondence" and "chess" are part of everyday, ordinary English. Let's keep it simple: Correspondence Chess.

Sooner I think the whole site re-design (home-page in particular) is ''geeky'' & over-elaborate!

Think these issues are gradually being remedied however :)

chess_kebabs

Playing chess is  very geeky..  but being a geek is cool. Laughing

Bex1p

Exactly, choosing to be a geek is the opitomy of cool.