Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
chess_kebabs

I agree Sooner. Why call it something it's not.

It's Correspondence Chess. None of the other given names truly represents it well. Everyone who wants to play it will play it, regardless of what you  call it, so  might as well stick to what it actually is. And you can add a small grey line under the title  to help the casual players who don't understand the term, if Erik is still concerned about players not understanding the term. Not like 'Daily Chess' explains what it is any  better or any other name dropped here.  I personally don't think changing the name is going to be a marketing advantage for the above reasons given, because no new names dropped here any better explained what the games are.

To  me changing the name to something like 'daily chess' or 'anytime chess' or any of the other names given, most being corny/silly names, puts the game of chess on par with the game of tiddly winks. Chess isn't that basic and we don't need to treat the players as if they are basic. We just need to help the casual players understand the term maybe.  Sorry if I offended any tiddly winks players here.

Stampnl

what about chess4cheats?

chess_kebabs

what about chess4cheatsbecausethereisnocentaurpoolhere ?

MonteChristosPawn

Did you loose a game :)

Don't be so negative!

I love kebab 2 btw :)

Stampnl

The one thing that distinguishes correspondence chess from other forms of chess right now is the RAMPANT amount of cheating involved IMHO :) so it only seems appropriate

chess_kebabs

I wasn't being negative MonteChristosPawn, just stating the fact. :)

For many anyway, the ones who wouldn't cheat if there was a Centaur pool here. I concede 'some' will still use engines in the main pool and cheat even if there was a Centaur pool here and they should be banned if caught, but many will be happy to play in their own designated respected non-interfering pool, if given that opportunity. It will get them out of the main pool and everyone will be as happy as Larry.. except the die hard engine haters who would rather see them burn in hell than be allowed to play here, even if they are playing in a pool that has nothing to do with them. Personally I would never use one, never care to use one, but I know many do love them. It's obvious because we all know many use them here. :) So give them a place to play and the majority of engine users should no longer be damaging the ratings of the non engine users nor the pleasure of the game for them. :)

It's a win/win for everyone. 

chess_kebabs
Stampnl wrote:

The one thing that distinguishes correspondence chess from other forms of chess right now is the RAMPANT amount of cheating involved IMHO :) so it only seems appropriate

It is 'RAMPANT" Stampni, I agree with you. Time a solution was found.

Post #898 is the solution.

MonteChristosPawn

Well , if you cheat you gain nothing babs.

So you win the real trophy ;-)

TheGrobe

Man, at least in the cheating forum it was half-ways relevant (but still ridiculous).

Here it's just agenda pushing in a completely unrelated thread.

chess_kebabs

Am just responding to those who keep saying chess4cheats as the new name and other similar type cheating names.. I wasn't the one to bring up references to cheating in the name suggestions.  ;)

Why didn't you target those people Grobe?  No one is allowed to respond to such suggestions? 

Jedi_Von

"Now or Later" Chess. Or maybe even "Now and Later" Chess

netzach

Only names that really suit ARE long-names..

net-correspondenceChess

e4nf3

dilatory chess

himath2009

Confidence in nonsense is a requirement for the creative process... Correspondence Chess is the only name that makes any sense, so let us call it a day on this one.

e4nf3

Not quite so fast.

"Correspondence" is so 19th century. The word is mostly archaic. No one even writes letters anymore. That was a cornerstone of "correspondence". And, all the postal service delivers these days is "junk mail"...no "correspondence".

We do get email. Lots of it. So, more suitable for the times: echess.

netzach

Correspondence accurately conveys chess that takes time to complete.

echess does not & will cause confusion & misconstrued selections. So bad-inferior choice.

Sooner

@e4nf3. You mean letters written by email are correspondence, but letters written on paper are not? Have you ever heard the phrase "a distinction without a difference"? Additionally, most words are "archaic." They weren't created during your lifetime. Should we just do away with all those "archaic" words and let you create a completely new, "more suitable" English vocabulary for us? Such utter nonsense!

pwwaring

Letters are correspondence, emails are correspondence, text messages are correspondence, and as far as I can tell there is no reason that chess moves transmitted between two players via a server are not correspondence as well.

Correspondence Chess is really the only name that makes sense that is already widely understood...

chess_kebabs
e4nf3 wrote:

Not quite so fast.

"Correspondence" is so 19th century. The word is mostly archaic. 

The word correspondence is still widely used today. I've heard it said in language many times, even for online communication.. That's just what it means, non-verbal communication between 2 people or more, and can be in any form.. morse code even. :)

And chess was invented before the 19th century, some 1500 years ago. 

e4nf3

Easy for you to say. When was the last time you wrote a letter...make that typed a letter on a typewriter?

I go back not only to the electric typewriter but the manual typewriters. I go back to ice boxes, radio days and carbon paper.

"Correspondence chess", if you checked back I don't recall how many posts ago, is what I, too, recommended.

I will maintain that "correspondence" is a very dated word. Tell me about Morse code...I had an F.C.C. commercial license for it. That too is deader than a Dodo bird.

And don't lecture me about the founding of chess. I've been playing it for over a half century.

Anyway, it may be time to discard the old, archaic "correspondence" word. You ought to realize that it was played through the mail...thus the "correspondence". And it wasn't played via the use of computer databases.

These are further reasons that "correspondence" should be chucked.

BTW...I am the old guy at 68. Some of you young 'uns sound like the old farts to me (lol).

Seriously...time to move away from a word that had meaning in Charles Dickens era...but not so much anymore.