Forums

Drueke Chess Set

Sort:
BadHabitZZZ

[COMMENT DELETED]

RomyGer

See  www.chessexpressstore.com in East Setauket, NY, they fabricate and sell these sets.    I wonder what is special with this make, seems expensive and does not change or influence chess playing.   Good Luck ! 

BadHabitZZZ
[COMMENT DELETED]
BadHabitZZZ

Has anybody found a place where you can buy a set of the Weighted Drueke Chess Sets,...  I mean with over a 1000 views somebody must be interested.  

Is Drueke listening.

discoweasel

Best bet would be something like ebay.  Drueke was bought out by a company and they don't appear to be making much - if any - more Drueke products.  

BadHabitZZZ

Just a thought,... what does anyone think about the World Championship Set offered for USD 490, (I believe).

I would hope that it is Ebony and or some other fine wood, but I cannot find anything out about it, but if it is good enough for Magnus and Anand then I maybe it is time to turn over Drueke to the grave and invest in a World Championship SET.

Any thoughts and or information welcome.

baddogno

@BadHabitZZZ:

Here's a link to a thread about it:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/new-official-fide-wcc-chess-set

BadHabitZZZ

Thank U VERY Much

BadHabitZZZ

What is the best value for the money?

Ebony & Rosewood:  

Plastic:

Travel Set:

chasm1995
BadHabitZZZ wrote:

What is the best value for the money?

Ebony & Rosewood:  

Plastic:

Travel Set:

If by best value you mean which one is a better deal if they're all at the same price, I'd say the ebony and rosewood.  I don't know how expensive a  board foot of each of them are in Switzerland, but it's quite a bit in the US.

BadHabitZZZ

No,... I meant separately,... for instance:  

If you were looking for a good Wood set (Ebony & Rosewood) what set would you choose and where or from whom would you buy it?

If you were looking for a good Travel set, what set would you choose and where or from whom would you buy it?

etc. etc. etc.

BadHabitZZZ

p.s. EVERYthing is MORE expensive in Switzerland

chasm1995
BadHabitZZZ wrote:

No,... I meant separately,... for instance:  

If you were looking for a good Wood set (Ebony & Rosewood) what set would you choose and where or from whom would you buy it?

If you were looking for a good Travel set, what set would you choose and where or from whom would you buy it?

etc. etc. etc.

For a wooden board and set, I'm big on making your own set.  You can't get much more proud than people telling you the chess set you made looks beautful.  There's quite a few books out there that have patterns and instructions on making wooden chess sets, whether hand-carved, compound cut, or turned on a lathe.

goldendog

travel sets come big and small and even flat.

what's the intended use?

BadHabitZZZ

Drueke,

anyone out there that knows where to buy a 'used' set of this type?

licxjo

Ebay is about the only place you're going to find Drueke sets.  There are usually a number of sets listed at any one time.

mldavis617

I suspect that most eBay sets are from estate sales because I don't think many Drueke owners would sell theirs.  My kids will have to sell my set because they'll have to pry them from my cold dead fingers.

On the other hand, the Paladin set from Chesshouse is about as close a match as you can find.  The knights aren't as nice (more angular lines) and the pieces show slight casting seams (unlike the Drueke #35 set I own) but they are nicely weighted and in fact the pawns are a bit heavier.  If you can't find a Drueke set at a reasonable price, the Paladin is a good alternative.

Rishi9

There seems to be listing by someone who claims to be a grandson of Mr Drueke, and selling chess boards.

http://stores.ebay.com/Drueke-Games?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Wont be a bad idea to create a separate thread on ebay or etsy listings, reviewing genuine sellers.

licxjo

Yes, he's genuine, and he sells new boards made after the Drueke pattern.  The Drueke company was sold to another game company that then discontinued the high-quality chess boards.  The originals usually go for a premium price when they show up on ebay.  And given the amount of craftsmanship, the new boards that Mr. Drueke is producing are priced right.  Solid wood, no veneer . . .

BadHabitZZZ
mldavis617 wrote:

My kids will have to sell my set because they'll have to pry them from my cold dead fingers.

I love this,... well I shall look on eBay.  my Grandfather would like one,... they must be really old.