Forums

-> Help Translate Chess.com Text into Other Languages

Sort:
Zemas

I don't know if you will like this idea, but rewarding translators with a monthly gold pack would increase the translation rates. Eg: there are only two other active lithuanian translators, we all have our buisness' to take care of so nobody wants to spend all day translating and in this case a minute a day wont translate this site into lithuanian. There should be a small reward for our effort. More translators would pop up, of course if it's posible to keep track of the translation rates.

ZetaF
[COMMENT DELETED]
adamplenty

Why?

andreaalfa

i speak italian but don't' speak english ...  study english. I would be happy to help

tliu1222
[COMMENT DELETED]
tliu1222

登入-log in

登出-log out

Chinese!

Damir_Mujezinovic

As for Croatian, spoken in Bosnia & Herzegovina, I participated for month and a half after inital invitation. However, it is still a huge mess on the site. Just to name a few_ To "draw" is translated as "drawing a line" or just a "line". "You offered a draw is translated as "You were offered a draw". "This is a no vacation tournement" is "This is tournament vacation no" I really think you should hire a professional translator. 

Irontiger
Faterson wrote:

I must say I gave up translating because the software just isn't up to the task. Like you say, many languages have several plural forms (Slovak has two: numbers 2-4 have one plural form, and numbers 5-higher have a different plural form), plus there is declination and conjugation and masculine/feminine verb forms, but the strings proposed by the software for translation do not fully take that those grammar features into account.

There is also a weird bug where I would translate a string but it would pop right back up like 10 more times on every page, as if it failed to register the translation already submitted. I think this was happening to me with some geographical names such as "Catalonia" and "Southern Georgia" (is the latter a country at all?).

And so, I have switched back to using the English interface because it just pains the eye (and brain, you could say) to see the Google auto-translated nonsense all the time, or to see basic grammar rules of your native language violated all the time. I'm afraid the chances are slim for the interface to get properly translated using the current tools only.

I stayed to the English interface for that very reason, alas. Even in French (where there is a reasonable number of translators) a huge deal of google-translated sentences remain, and that's just painful.

Apparently there were also a problem in live chess. The draw button should have two forms ("claim draw" or "offer draw") and for both of those the French translations go well out of the box of 10 characters. Because of that, the button grew bigger and overlaps almost entirely the "resign" button... which makes it almost useless - you need to know it is there to click just under the draw button to resign.

I guess that kind of issues (basically the fact that translating significantly increases the length of certain sentences) should affect quite a few languages.

Damir_Mujezinovic

How can I switch back to English version? 

Irontiger

Down the page, there is a green pawn and then (the Serbian equivalent of, I suppose) :

Home | Chess Topics | About | FAQs | Help & Support | Site Map  | Help Translate

Privacy Policy | Legal | © 2013 Chess.com • English ->you click here

Behrooz_Sadeghi

Hi Eric.

Would be happy to help with (Persian) Farsi, if required.

TVEDAS

When, if ever, Lithuanian is required, I'm in! :) 

elfdangorbis

I'd be happy to help with Hebrew. But I personally would continue to use it in English, so I guess it makes sense to first run a study of how much audience chess.com would have per language.

dzikus

As long as the translating framework does not offer three different forms for numerators: one for 1, one for 2-4 (and 22-24, 33-34 and so on) and another one for 5-21 (and 25-31, 35-41 etc.) the translation to Polish (as well as Russian or other Slavic languages) will never be good.

Translators would choose the form which applies to most of the numerals (that is, the third one) but it really sounds bad with the numerals which need first or second forms. No matter how good a translator is s/he is not able to provide good translation with the current app.

SavageLotus

I would like the contribute by translating C.c into Wookie. Please allow me to demonstrate:

"You moved your pawn to e4"

becomes...

"AAAAARRRAAARG...GWAAAAAR...ROOG....ROOOG (GURGLING SOUND)"

I think there are a lot of Wookies who would use the site if it were more accessible and in their own language.

cordata

Hello everibody,

I just noticed iGoogle is to be shut down on november 13, 2013.

Hence, are we sure you still need this work done?

Regards

chessgm8
[COMMENT DELETED]
oisanjaya

Indonesian, ready to translate

brandnewgambit

If u add Indian languages a lot wud be der to help , myself included

Vendry

Catalan should be added, i talk this language and I have already translated it into Spanish, so I have experience ;)

This forum topic has been locked