Forums

Inactive Groups

Sort:
shajian

The real issue is not managing one member groups but if it is active or not.

Some members keep creating groups & and not bothered to manage well.For Example, a member created the team "Team India" & started participating in World League. Around 500 members joined the team.

But the team owner was not ready to accept other players as Super Admins or Admins. After few months he disappeared from the site. The team was keep getting members as the name represents a country.

The members had to write to the staff for many times. After many arguments, the staff selected few members as Admins recently and the team is active again.

If you search for groups, you can find many groups where the Admins have not logged in for months.

I was only suggesting the staff to find the groups with no activity for a period of time and remove them after posting the notice in the group.

oinquarki
TheGrobe wrote:

Perhaps a better filtering mechanism when searching groups would be a better solution -- with the ability to exclude the groups you mention from your search results it shouldn't matter to you whether they're there or not.

Yeah. I think it would be really nice if you could search for teams with certain stats too. Recently I was searching through the pages and pages of groups and teams to find one that was about the same size as one that I'm adminning so that we could play. It was a pain in the butt. With a better search feature, it wouldn't be.

rooperi
shajian wrote:

The real issue is not managing one member groups but if it is active or not.

I was only suggesting the staff to find the groups with no activity for a period of time and remove them after posting the notice in the group.

Even activity is not always a measure of usefulness. I had questions about certain software, found a group dedicated to it. Apparently the group was inactive for months, but I posted my question anyway and got an answer within minutes....

kco

I am sure you can make your blog private ?

kco

Nope,  you can't have a very private blog only you have "Anyone" or "Just friends' maybe you can make a suggestion to the staff to put in "No one" as well. 

Billium248
rooperi wrote:

Even activity is not always a measure of usefulness. I had questions about certain software, found a group dedicated to it. Apparently the group was inactive for months, but I posted my question anyway and got an answer within minutes....

This is probably the biggest reason I haven't deleted a lot of the inactive groups from my list.  Sometimes they simply go into a state of hibernation, but they can be easily revived when someone new joins.

Frenzal

So is there a precedent for appointing new super admins if a group is inactive for x amount of time and the original admins are unerachable?

I'd like to revive the coffee lovers group but can't get in contact with the supe-radmin.

wormrose
Frenzal wrote:

So is there a precedent for appointing new super admins if a group is inactive for x amount of time and the original admins are unerachable?

I'd like to revive the coffee lovers group but can't get in contact with the supe-radmin.

Contact chess.com support and explain the situation. More than likely they will make you the super. I have done this with the 1.e4 d5 Scandinavian group when I discovered the super had dissapeared. They were very good and supportive.

Apachimous

Yes, I agree that there is useless groups that clutter up all the time, Daily there are around 5+groups on estimate that are made, if free members were allowed to make groups, you wouldn't even be able to find the best group as there would be too much clutter. the staff should do a check around every 3 months for inactive groups, but it would take too much time. I may try to revive these groups (the inactive ones) only some though.

TheOldReb

I see several asking :  what is wrong with one person groups ? I know I am gettin old but when I went to school a " group" was MORE than one.  When did that change, or has it ? Wink

wormrose

By nature, a group has to start with one person and an idea or purpose. And then you hope there are kindred spirits who will join you in your quest. But if nobody joins then it's just you - a one person group (and still waiting). If it was me, I wouldn't know when to stop waiting and delete the group. And if the c.c staff deleted my group I would get upset. All it does is take up space on a server.  I don't think it hurts anything. But I agree that it can seem senseless. Tongue out

wormrose

true - they really need a admin help page to explain what happens when you do certain things - like "news". I understand it now (somewhat) but in the beginning it was pure guesswork. I can only see what I can see. I don't see what I can't see. And I can't see what others see unless I'm them.

rooperi
wormrose wrote:

true - they really need a admin help page to explain what happens when you do certain things - like "news". I understand it now (somewhat) but in the beginning it was pure guesswork. I can only see what I can see. I don't see what I can't see. And I can't see what others see unless I'm them.

Oh, I see

artfizz
Reb wrote:

I see several asking :  what is wrong with one person groups ? I know I am gettin old but when I went to school a " group" was MORE than one.  When did that change, or has it ?

Mathematically speaking, the size of a group can be any positive integer (including zero).

wormrose

group (groop) n. Abbr. gr. 1. An assemblage of persons or objects gathered or located together; an aggregation. 2. Two or more figures that make up a unit or design, as in sculpture. 3. A number of individuals or things considered together because of similarities. 4. Linguistics. A category of related languages that is less inclusive than a family. 5.a. A military unit consisting of two or more battalions and a headquarters. b. A unit of two or more squadrons in the U.S. Air Force, smaller than a wing. 6. A class or collection of related objects or entities, as: a. Two or more atoms behaving or regarded as behaving as a single chemical unit. b. A column in the periodic table of the elements. c. A stratigraphic unit, especially a unit consisting of two or more formations deposited during a single geologic era. 7. Mathematics. A set with an associative binary operation under which the set is closed, which contains an identity element and an inverse for every element in the set. --group adj. 1. Of, relating to, constituting, or being a member of a group. --group v. grouped, group·ing, groups. --tr. 1. To place or arrange in a group. --intr. To belong to or form a group.

One person groups qualify under definition 6.c

TheOldReb

So what is the use/point of having "groups" then if a "group" can be just one ?! 

H O G W A S H

artfizz
Reb wrote:

So what is the use/point of having "groups" then if a "group" can be just one ?! 

H O G W A S H

Are you proposing that the minimum number of members needed to create a group should be 2? And if one of those members leaves, the group should cease to exist?

TheOldReb
artfizz wrote:
Reb wrote:

H O G W A S H

Are you proposing that the minimum number of members needed to create a group should be 2? And if one of those members leaves, the group should cease to exist?

For me it doesnt matter what chess.com decides to do about their "groups" here. However, for those searching to find a group they might like to join ( due to similar interests ) I imagine it IS very annoying to wade through so many "groups" of only one, don't you ? When I have looked at groups here I scan by how many members they have so those with less than 10 or so I dont even pause.

TheOldReb

It does appear that the groups have been listed in order by most members, with the biggest first, this is a good idea I think.

artfizz
Reb wrote:  For me it doesnt matter what chess.com decides to do about their "groups" here. However, for those searching to find a group they might like to join ( due to similar interests ) I imagine it IS very annoying to wade through so many "groups" of only one, don't you ? When I have looked at groups here I scan by how many members they have so those with less than 10 or so I dont even pause.

Since the group search provides a listing sorted by (decreasing) number of members, the larger groups are automatically shown first. By contrast, if someone wanted to join a smaller group, their only option is to wade through all of the larger groups until the smaller ones are reached. Also, given the 100-page limit, they may not even reach the smaller groups.