Forums

Is Magnus Carlsen Greatest Chess Player of all Times?

Sort:
Chessperson77

[COMMENT DELETED]

Chess4001

There really isn't a great way to say who is the best chess player of all time. It depends on what you're thinking. The person with the highest elo was Garry Kasparov (2851) while second is Magnus Carlsen but some thinks Bobby Fischer is the best because of the way he plays, etc.

Chess4001

Magnus Carlsen is the best prodigy of all time, of course. I'm also 13, people say I'm one of the best young players around, but Magnus Carlsen, with 2400 or 2500 FIDE at my age, fails to be described by words. Even Chuck Norris wears Magnus Carlsen pajamas. Wink

trysts
Chess4001 wrote:

I'm also 13, people say I'm one of the best young players around

Parents will say anythingLaughing

rooperi
trysts wrote:
Chess4001 wrote:

Parents will say anything

• clean your room
  • get a job
  • when I was your age...
  • come back here, you little coward!
  • this will hurt me more than it hurts you
trysts
rooperi wrote:
trysts wrote:
Chess4001 wrote:

Parents will say anything

clean your room get a job when I was your age... come back here, you little coward! this will hurt me more than it hurts you

*Are these your cigarettes?

*Since when is 9:00pm, 2:00am?

*Did you go in the liquor cabinet?

trysts
LisaV wrote:

*Do that in the bedroom, not the dining room.

actual quote, I'm afraid.  lol

Let me guess, you were sleeping?Laughing

kco

no Magnus is not the greatest of all time, for now he is ranked nos. 1 (2800+ not 2500 correct me if I am wrong here) and he hasn't won the World Champion yet so ....

trysts
Godspawn wrote:

I think Reshevsky has Carlsen beat as far as best prodigy of all time.

Judit Polgar was the best prodigy of all time, me thinks.

goldendog

Reshevsky was made for chess. Just look at how he holds it together even though his f3 horsie has lost its head!

Pocamps

Reshevsky is pretty good but there were but a few good players back then. If Reshevsky came out today, I am not even sure if he makes top ten. If Magnus came during his time, We'd be talking now about how Carlsen is the best of all time. Sammy did not even win the World Championship.

browni3141
Iskuba wrote:

Reshevsky is pretty good but there were but a few good players back then. If Reshevsky came out today, I am not even sure if he makes top ten. If Magnus came during his time, We'd be talking now about how Carlsen is the best of all time. Sammy did not even win the World Championship.

Simply put: Reshevsky didn't win the Championship because of the Soviets cheated. He did win the U.S. championship several times, and he had quite a 'no loss' streak.

Ubik42
Godspawn wrote:
Iskuba wrote:

Im only arguing Reshevshky as the greatest prodigy of all time. 

Carlsen will never have to deal with what Reshevsky dealt with when it came to challenging for the title.

What? What did Reschevsky have to deal with? I mean, besides cheating, colluding Soviets with pre-arranged games to ensure Reschevsky never makes it past the Candidates?

Pocamps

I know the story of Sammy. I don't see its pertinence. I even played with him, too. And he beat me. I almost got him, though. Smile

vanhafford

Believe me; you'll never know.  It's a  player's time to be World Champion.  GMMC Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen will have his time.  I think the greatest chess player of all time is Robert James "Bobby" Fischer.  Of course I could be wrong,but; you'll never know.  The Centenary Samuel Herman "Sammy" Reshevsky along with Capablanca and Kasparov are in consideration of the such.

alec40

Emmanuel Lasker and Gary Kasparov are the greatest. 

platolag

Lets give it to bobby... he had little or no support but had the determination and conviction that he could be the best.  I like Magnus but no chess player worked as hard as Bobby ever.

fissionfowl
Chess4001 wrote:

people say I'm one of the best young players around

You aren't.

PrawnEatsPrawn

You can't be the greatest before you can even grow facial hair.

These gentlemen were fully aware of that fact:

NimzoRoy

Magnus certainly has a big head start on becoming the greatest player of all time, but we'll just have to wait and see won't we? And of course even if he does become World Champ and remains one for awhile there will still be ongoing debates about him compared to Fischer, Kasparov and others as well. So far I believe every GM who has consistently been rated higher than the current champ has eventually won the title, at least since FIDE began using the ELO ratings.