Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
himath2009
Martin_Stahl wrote:
himath2009 wrote:

Btw, please get that browser recommendation banner off our Home Page (currently residing at the top right corner), it does not belong there...

What browser are you using to get that screen shot? You say IE 9 at work but are you sure it is IE9? I don't have the notification in my home page (using Aurora 13.0a2 -- bascially Firefox 13 alpha). I would assume that the only people getting that are those using an older broswer, or one with the User Agent string set to an older browser.

If that is the case, then it is very likely that comes up because whatever browser is being used doesn't fully support some to of the code used on the site and will probably cause rendering/layout issues.

Thank you, Martin, but I am using IE9 and I havent touched the string or altered anything on that level...

Besides, my point is that, irrespective of all this, the banner does not belong there!... The Home Page already feels all over the place as it is, let us not make it worse...

chess_kebabs
himath2009 wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:
himath2009 wrote:
chess_kebabs wrote:

himath2009, might be worth quitting your browser, emptying the cache and trying again. I find that sometimes fixes glitches for me.

Thank you, Babs, I'll give it a try... Will that make the browser recommendation banner dissappear as well?...

Good luck, and not sure about the browser recommendation banner. I can't see that  myself.

No, Babs, its not working I ve cleared everything but the allingment is still a mess...

I think Martin_Stahl is probably right himath2009, we are not seeing that alert to change browsers, and our a alignment is fine. The fact that you are getting that notification and your alignment is not fine does suggest you need to change it to the recommended browser to fix the problem you're getting.

Martin_Stahl
himath2009 wrote:

Thank you, Martin, but I am using IE9 and I havent touched the string or altered anything on that level...

Besides, my point is that, irrespective of all this, the banner does not belong there!... The Home Page already feels all over the place as it is, let us not make it worse...

I agree it probalby shouldn't be there for you since you are already using a newer browser. For those that are on an older version (I have seen one person saying they are on Firefox 3.6 -- newest version is 11) then the notification is probably warranted. Especially since older versions can cause rendering issues, similar to what you are seeing.

I'll try to test with 9 later today and see what I get; see if I get the notification or rendering issues.

RoffleMyWafflez
NightMother wrote:

if u cant change the format at least get rid of the friends list and the notes on the middle of the screen. i can accept the bubblely text for what it is, but the invasion of my friends list privacy D: its bad enough u have the interactive map which locates the memebers. i didnt know that feature exsisted till it was too late <..< or knew how to stop it. the unknowing of players its horrorid. and now people know who i keep company with, my friends D: thanks for the stalkers, i have more now most likely. 

No one cares who your friends are.

himath2009
BorgQueen wrote:

If the site is detecting an older browser, the message should be prominent imo.  

Clearly, something is amiss somewhere if the site is telling you to stop using an older browser and recommending IE9, and you are already using IE9!

Mind you, I'd be using Chrome or Firefox rather than that silly IE thing :-P  

You see, Brad, thats exactly the point, i.e. we shouldnt be forced to dig so deep into all this technical stuff only to get our new interface (which was doing just fine before) in order...

I couldnt care less about the comparative advantages of one browser vis a vis another... I just want to press the green button and play chess... All this technical things are means to an end... And if it gets to the point that, instead of us being able to pursue our end, we waste our days over the means, something is badly amiss here...

The Machine should be the extension of the Hand, not the other way around!...

RoffleMyWafflez

saksipotku

I think I found another bug: I have lots of notes in an online chess game, and I've put some lines there so I won't forget them. The notes section has a bar on the right hand side and I scroll it down to see my latest line. But when I start playing the moves of my line on the analysis board, for some reason the bar jumps to the middle, and I must scroll back down again to see what I had written next. This is a very random bug, but it happens repeatedly with me, and it is very annoying, since I can play only one move at a time.

saksipotku

RoffleMyWafflez, the same thing annoys me - except that I don't have the movelist nor the details even at the bottom of the page! Thus I am also completely unable to flip the board.

George1st
[COMMENT DELETED]
George1st

I think chess.com have broken all boundaries on each and every level. Absolutely astonishing really. Just wish I was privy to see the flood gates open and the wealth of new members opening paid memberships and current members upgrading. 

Now that would be exciting! They wouldn't have done it if not expectations of at least doubling their turnover within the first 4 weeks. Well done guys. I lovvveeeeeeeee it : )))

JFK-Ramsey

Just discovered another benefit of updated site. I now know if it is my move in one of my turn-based games while I'm working the Tactics Trainer. Might have been there before but, if so, wasn't obvious to me.

Thanks again for a better product.

saksipotku

This is not a suggestion to change/improve anything, but it's feedback all the same: I'm so used to the old design that I always press 'x' from the upright corner of the window after tactics trainer. It's not in a new window anymore, so I have a hard time trying to remember not to close it anymore, but I hope I get accustomed to it. Smile

FORAA

@erik. Are you working on iPhone - safari design? Can you give us a termin for that, so i can find some temporary solutions.

MrEnigma

so many posts to read through, so dont know if this had been said before. Icons are too small (play learn share forums more) cannot see any information in the tournament box, unless i mouseover. This was ok on the first update, seem to have lost the functionality during another update. Same in Chrom and IE. I like the new layout apart from the previous mentioned comments.

arborvitian
RoffleMyWafflez wrote:

No one cares who your friends are.

My friends apparently did.  Every one of them who has been online since the new site rolled out has dropped me from their friend list.  I guess being friends with me was too embarrassing of a public humiliation to suffer.

I usually only have that effect on women.  Hrm.  Oh well.

Cirrus_G

I like the new Site Design, The new Interface is friendly to use ( on PC )

Good job, Thanks !

Eternal_Patzer

Has anybody looked at fixing the way the site displays on apple products?  The pinch function (to resize items on the screen)  doesn't work on my iPhone, so diagrams, games, etc. don't fit on my screen.  I usually browse the blogs and articles from my phone or iPad.  Not much fun at present.

Lorgen

A comment was made that 1 day was too soon to cancel as owners listen to feedback. I've been here long enough to know is utter BS

Nicko2580

Probably been mentioned already but there are too many pages on this thread to go through.

The new Online Chess section needs to remember whether you select Grid View or Table View. I don't like the grid view and want it to stay as a table but I have to change it every time I log on. Would be nice if it just remembered my preferences.

oldtimerchessguy

The new format is not as "smartphone" friendly as the old format, IMO....I have more memory problems than ever before. On my smartphone the last thing I need is to be seeing every board from every game I have in progress....that is just so unnecessary. The rest of the changes are no big deal.