Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
erik

Today was a wild day. The biggest change to Chess.com we've had in 5 years. You can read more about my thoughts here: http://www.chess.com/news/big-change-today-6465

Anyway, all day we've been reading feedback, answering questions, and working with our members on bugs. You have been VERY helpful - thank you!!

It's really hard to get everything perfect the first time through when you have hundreds of pages, so we appreciate your patience and reports. 

We've tried to address as many of the SPECIFIC comments we have heard about the new design, including:

- messed up themes (mostly fixed)
- return games to middle of Home (done)
- return "My Games Against" history (done)
- broken text/comment editor (fixed)
- wrong number of new messages (fixed)
- messed up My Vote Chess link (fixed)
- added in showing all group admins (done)
- link to Daily Puzzle in nav (done)
- major performance improvements (done)
- ...a dozen more things I can't remember

I know that some people still aren't happy with the new design, and I respect that. I understand it. It's fair to not want the site to change. But I do want to let you know that we are 100% committed to moving FORWARD with this design. We will not be going back to the old design. And we will not be adding an option to use it. It's not even technically feasible at this point.

So, I hope that for those of you who still have some specific suggestions on what you would like fixed and improved, PLEASE LET US KNOW! But again, I urge you to take any energy and time you are spending on wishing the site would go back to the old design, and now focus that energy on making positive contributions of how we can improve things from here moving forward. If you don't like where a button is, let us know! If you don't like a color, let us know! If you don't like where something is, let us know! If you don't like that something is in a different place, let us know! That is all helpful.

But what is not helpful is just saying "the old one was better" or "i hate this" or "i can't find anything". Those are not specific things and don't help us improve things. So again, I urge you to try to accept that we are where we are and that we are moving forward.   

Please know that as the co-founder and "dad" of Chess.com, nobody loves and cares about this site as much as I do (well, maybe Kohai...). But I think about Chess.com every waking moment and I'm trying my best to improve it every day.

I look forward to improving the site in every way possible and appreciate your support in making it happen!

Sincerely, 

Erik

DaveShack

Should we continue to point people with constructive feedback to the group designated for that purpose?  I've been advising people to do that but don't want to overload you.  Wink

kco

It not too bad really, like the homepage now, give you a 8/10 for it. Question: is chess.com a social networking or is it a game networking ?  

Zhane

I still don't understand this so~called new version, if I had a choice to choose between the two versions. I would stick with the site I was brought up around.

Sure I'll give you some time to fix bugs and all that side of stuff, however you should listen to the members more.

toss

I think the board layouts are nice, but would get combersome if you had alot of games going at once.  Also, in the old format you could see on the first screen of another player how quickly they move.  Now you have to go through multiple screens before you can find this out.  I personally try to avoid matches with those who take a long time between moves. 

chess_kebabs

Since you want the suggestions together here in this forum now Erik, will repeat:

Please add more contrast/sharpness/brightness/vibrancy by bolding up 'some' text. The headings in particular.. it's very flat/dull at the moment. Pt size, font chosen, spacing is all fine for me. Also add a little colour between each comment/post, just to separate comments a little more. It's one extreme to the other from old to  new design, and I think a little "meet in the middle' would be ideal. 

Also can the trophies  be made identifiable again please. And can we select which trophies can be put in the showcase on your profile, like before. Not a big issue but was a nice feature. 

chess_kebabs

Also can you please reinstate having NEW MESSAGES, GROUP ACTIVITY ALERTS, NEW COMMENTS, above the TOURNAMENT MATCHES, TEAM MATCHES, CHESS GAMES like it was set up in the Old Format, as having to scroll too much all the time.  I check my games list to see what games I have to move in first anyway.  

Also please give the option to hide our friends list.

NightMother

if u cant change the format at least get rid of the friends list and the notes on the middle of the screen. i can accept the bubblely text for what it is, but the invasion of my friends list privacy D: its bad enough u have the interactive map which locates the memebers. i didnt know that feature exsisted till it was too late <..< or knew how to stop it. the unknowing of players its horrorid. and now people know who i keep company with, my friends D: thanks for the stalkers, i have more now most likely. 

Ben_Dubuque

I like how we can see the position of our ongoing games straight from the online chess window, and that I don't have to go flipping pages to get to the really small groups I am in, my only complaint is that the design of the my home page is a bit confusing, everything else looks good.

erik

we are going to add the option to hide friends lists. 

TRON84NH
cheesepleeze wrote:
kco wrote:

It not too bad really, like the homepage now, give you a 8/10 for it. Question: is chess.com a social networking or is it a game networking ?  

i agree and good point- but in the end for me its about playing ( and learning ) and cheese

cheese??? i'm all for provolone and swiss but i thought this was a chess site

i am just having difficulty at trying to adjust to the new site. the one thing that i'd say would improve for me is to have a select all button like that you do on other webmail accounts and in by doing so you can click the delete button right next to the select all button. This is much faster if you know you get a lot of junkmail/messages that you dont want/care/need to read and dont want to scroll to the bottom.

DCMS

Erik, the new design is horrible. I demand that my Gold membership be ended. I shouldn't be paying for this B.S.

rigamagician

The biggest usability issue for me is the big chunk of white space just below the green tool bar (play, learn, share...), but above the start of the contact.  If that could be shrunk, I would actually be able to see the content on each page.  There were quite a few comments in the public vote thread about scrolling, so it's clearly not just me who is having this problem.

batgirl

As I made everyone aware with my histrionics, the new designed initially did a number on my blog formatting, particularly with tables.  Most of these issues have been addressed both expediently and satisfactorily. But I have one more issue that I initially thought was fixed, but isn't :

Blog entries that have been already published - either there is no way, or I simply can't find the way, to edit them.  Is this a bug?

Wizard_Chess97

I think there should be an option to have the online games in a list like it was before; like toss said, it's kind of overwhelming if you have a lot of games going at once. This is my one major complain about the new format, most everything else is nice. Thanks! Smile

TadDude

"All Games" stats box appears to be missing when viewing other members.

Tournament Directors will not be able to send invitations based on time/move.

AlCzervik

Just my two cents...I would prefer the games to be front and center after logging on-not the notes, which have been there for months. I've read them already. I don't need them in my face every time I log in.

Ben_Dubuque
Maroon5fan wrote:

I think there should be an option to have the online games in a list like it was before; like toss said, it's kind of overwhelming if you have a lot of games going at once. This is my one major complain about the new format, most everything else is nice. Thanks!

its there, its just faint, and high above the list of game boards

e4nf3

Well, this may sound redundant because I posted it elsewhere.

Some members are asking you to leave some things private, such as friend information. I would endorse this but ask you to also keep private some other things, such as tactical training and mentor ratings.

Why would this have to be public?

Some really love Facebook, twitter, etc. Others (me included) just don't believe that everything should be accessible.

Thanks for listening.

NightMother

may i suggest a future news letter for site updates? or is there a blog or forum ?, what features are changeing and etc i think you caught alot of people off guard, no one likes a clown jumping out at them.