Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
FORAA

Thanks for all efforts.

There are many things i love in new design.

The biggest problem remaining is with my iphone-4 with Safari. i think you already know what i mean. it's almost impossible to use it now. and i wish it will be fixed very soon, as i can't always catch a PC to do my administration jobs for my groups.

Thanks in advance to Staff for fixing my problem! Wink

chess_kebabs

I agree strongly with Denverhigh.. have been saying along, ALL the text is too weak.. nothing is strong on the pages.. there's no contrast,  no sharpness, no brightness. It's wishy washy. I also agree the text size could go a fraction larger, though I can live with the size that it is, but at the very  least there needs to  be some solid black on these pages.. mixing grey with light font coloured text just keeps it all looking dull.

adriano81
Omer_Hayyam wrote:

Thanks for all efforts.

There are many things i love in new design.

The biggest problem remaining is with my iphone-4 with Safari. i think you already know what i mean. it's almost impossible to use it now. and i wish it will be fixed very soon, as i can't always catch a PC to do my administration jobs for my groups.

Thanks in advance to Staff for fixing my problem! 

+1

FORAA

it would be very very useful for group admins to have a sound alert when someone join or leave the group chatroom.  Wink

SadeghFr

its good to have changes , been saying it since i have joined. finally u guys did it. thanks

guesso
erik wrote:

Today was a wild day. The biggest change to Chess.com we've had in 5 years. You can read more about my thoughts here: http://www.chess.com/news/big-change-today-6465

Anyway, all day we've been reading feedback, answering questions, and working with our members on bugs. You have been VERY helpful - thank you!!

It's really hard to get everything perfect the first time through when you have hundreds of pages, so we appreciate your patience and reports. 

We've tried to address as many of the SPECIFIC comments we have heard about the new design, including:

- messed up themes (mostly fixed)
- return games to middle of Home (done)
- return "My Games Against" history (done)
- broken text/comment editor (fixed)
- wrong number of new messages (fixed)
- messed up My Vote Chess link (fixed)
- added in showing all group admins (done)
- link to Daily Puzzle in nav (done)
- major performance improvements (done)
- ...a dozen more things I can't remember

I know that some people still aren't happy with the new design, and I respect that. I understand it. It's fair to not want the site to change. But I do want to let you know that we are 100% committed to moving FORWARD with this design. We will not be going back to the old design. And we will not be adding an option to use it. It's not even technically feasible at this point.

So, I hope that for those of you who still have some specific suggestions on what you would like fixed and improved, PLEASE LET US KNOW! But again, I urge you to take any energy and time you are spending on wishing the site would go back to the old design, and now focus that energy on making positive contributions of how we can improve things from here moving forward. If you don't like where a button is, let us know! If you don't like a color, let us know! If you don't like where something is, let us know! If you don't like that something is in a different place, let us know! That is all helpful.

But what is not helpful is just saying "the old one was better" or "i hate this" or "i can't find anything". Those are not specific things and don't help us improve things. So again, I urge you to try to accept that we are where we are and that we are moving forward.   

Please know that as the co-founder and "dad" of Chess.com, nobody loves and cares about this site as much as I do (well, maybe Kohai...). But I think about Chess.com every waking moment and I'm trying my best to improve it every day.

I look forward to improving the site in every way possible and appreciate your support in making it happen!

Sincerely, 

Erik

posting still doesn't work from Firefox 3.6. Please help :)

himath2009

DrPhil

Erik,

You say it's not technically possible to go back to the old design. In terms of coding, and barring resetting the servers, you're probably right. But in terms of the interface, you can probably create a lot of options that grab the original layout for those who want to.

A list would be:
- make the order of alerts customizable. Now it is tournament games, vote chess, team matches, messages, group activity, comments (don't know where you put individual games, as I have no current alerts on those). Some of us will focus on tournament games and want those on top. Other will want team matches there, other comments (in fact, serious vote chess revolves around those) - so there's not going to be one order that makes everyone happy. So make it customizable! Add an up and down arrow for each category.

- add a menu option that gives the menus as a single column. There's simply no way the same ease-of-use can be had with a single layout for both mobile devices and 24 inch screens.

- make recommended themes for different browsers. I repeat: for IE the new design simply doesn't work, and that begins with the color scheme. You can promote chrome all you want, not everyone has actually the choice of a browser on each device, thanks to their IT department. In particular, we need at least a theme that offers more contrast - in colors, with black edges, etc.

Those three things would go a long way already. To put it bluntly: the annoyance factor needs to decrease by a lot before my renewal is up. If you don't want to go back to the old code, then make sure you eliminate most of the pain by adding customization.

chess_kebabs

You don't have to sacrifice a 'clean' look by adding more contrast and definition. It's getting the balance right. At the moment the balance is not right. It doesn't need major changes made, just a few tweaks will make a world of difference. 

bagpiper

If it was not broken, why fix it?

nylimoman

fix it? they broke it!!!

Huyen_Linh

Hi Erik, glad to see that some of the main issues were changed and also themes, can't concetrate on my play without my theme though Tongue out. I wanted to memtion that I don't see my logo. No borders of the Content, Recent activities. And my name on my profile is Green (which was yellow, after I set up the theme, it's very funny when all letters are White and Yellow, and suddenly something is Green (??????)). The same issue with colours are in Group's profiles, I think the colours should be shown as the themes are set.

I usually use black themes, so my letters are Bright colours (eg. White, Light Blue...) and they are not visible on white tabs (eg. Quotes, Recent Activities, Tab in an echess game, Tournaments and Events Calendar...) and even Tactic Trainer's tabs, it's really frustrating to border whole page to read something inside the tab. I will be happy if it would be black just like my theme.

Not all groups are shown in the Profile, I wanted to check out my groups, but there were only few groups shown in the profile. I think full list like before would be better. 

I very like the new Alerts tab, it very suits to the whole page now, very beautiful. But could be message, notes be above the games? I had to scroll down too much cause I have many games in progress and I want to check my messages first.

These are all issues currently I am facing with. 

In the other hand, new design is very nice, I very like how all things are on one page. Smile

LucasPersell

I do think that it would be wise to allow members, especially paying ones, to chose which one they like best. I know they do that on forums and such and so I wouldn't imagine it'd be too difficult to do that on here.

Personally, I love the new layout and if given a choice, I'd stick with this one. But it'd be nice to allow other paying members to choose.

saksipotku

One very small thing that still bothers me: in online chess and vote chess games, contrary to the old design, the time left is now given as "3 Days", "13 Hours" or "27 Minutes" with the first letters of the time units being capitalized. It's not a start of a sentence nor are time units proper nouns, so it would be at least grammatically correct to use lowercase letters. As said, it's not a big issue, but it looks sort of dumb to me. Smile

Martin_Stahl
DENVERHIGH wrote:

Erik. Don't you think the poster should tell you which BROWSER they are using?

It would help your webmaster.

Not only would knowing the browser be useful, but also what version. They won't support every version of every browser.

iused

The Daily Puzzle link in the Learn menu points to the forums page.

There is a problem with the chess boards. The pieces and the last move highlight are out of alignment with the squares on the board. When you move the pieces on the board the edges of the squares behind them become broken. I think the chequerboard pattern is slightly the wrong size.

EDIT: I figured this one out. My browser page was zoomed in a little bit. When I zeroed it, it looks fine again. 

(on the stats page and tactics trainer) The graph that plots rating changes over time is blank until you click one of time period links underneath it. I think it is supposed to display the last 90 days by default.

I'm using google chrome 17.0.963.83 m. The graph problem does not occur on firefox.

Thanks for all the hard work.

saksipotku

Here's still a few bugs that I have noticed, both linked with vote chess:

1) You can't flip the board/see the move list etc. in the analysis board of vote chess

2) Chess Wizard diagram application doesn't work at all for me. I get to the first step where I choose "Game or sequence of moves", but after I click "Continue" then the window fails and just goes blank, except for the Cancel-button and a link that reads "Chess Wizard" that takes me back to the first step.

digitalrika

can we get an option to change those orange links and the green headers and maybe let us use a different logo at the bottom of the page. otherwise, I'm fine with everything else. great job but that orange and green just don't go together too well.

adriano81
Huyen_Linh wrote:

And my name on my profile is Green (which was yellow, after I set up the theme, it's very funny when all letters are White and Yellow, and suddenly something is Green (??????))

This is amazing... this is the best feedback here Laughing

sdougherty

cant get dailey puzzel to come up