New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
DeepGreene
StrategicPlay wrote:

We don't get VC alerts anymore!!!

I do. Anyone else having this issue?

DeepGreene
gmeillonc wrote:

Besides it is impossible to navigate the site with and iPhone, the iPhone app can't load Videos either. A total mess.

A number of Videos that were recorded using our old method are encoded in a way that the iOS video player doesn't like, but the vast majority of videos play fine. That issue is not redesign-related.

chess_kebabs
DeepGreene wrote:
StrategicPlay wrote:

We don't get VC alerts anymore!!!

I do. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm getting them.

brusselsshrek

Your sarcastic suggestion DeepGreene doesn't help at all. I repeat my complaint that the Tactics Trainer had in the past a page showing each of the major lines with an evaluation of their value. This does not appear to be there any more.

DeepGreene wrote:

brusselsshrek wrote:

In the past each tactical puzzle had an analysis page. Where has that gone?! Surely getting rid of that is not an intended "improvement"?!!

Try opening the Analysis Board! :)

saksipotku

No, brusselsshrek, each tactics trainer problem has never had a View Analysis & Source page, if that's what you mean. I think that at least out of those problems that I face, about 70% had that page in the old design, and about 70% still do.

chukirov
kenneth67 wrote:
chukirov wrote:

It is impossible to play on my BlackBerry.....a problem I never faced with the old site

I am managing to play on my Blackberry Torch 9800. Initially it would allow me to play for a few days and then the download software crashed, but recently it seems to be working ok. http://www.chess.com/play/mobile-chess.html is the link, and then choose 'phones with Java'. I remember that Kohai had a further link if the one above gives problems (can't remember where to find it - you'll have to browse the forums).

tnx a lot kenneth67

StayAtHomeWifeAndMom

I got the chess.com iPhone app and ever since then I've been penalized as someone aborting/abandoning games I didn't know I had done because my iPhone signal isn't the best any way to make the iPhone app a little more patient with those having a crumby signal I usually never abort a game with a player :/ I love chess.com

DeepGreene

StayAtHomeWifeAndMom wrote:

I got the chess.com iPhone app and ever since then I've been penalized as someone aborting/abandoning games I didn't know I had done because my iPhone signal isn't the best any way to make the iPhone app a little more patient with those having a crumby signal I usually never abort a game with a player :/ I love chess.com

We're testing a fix for this issue right now!

chess_kebabs

You rock Michael (DeepGreene) 

chess.com is lucky to have you on staff.

Fantasto

Here are some more issues:

1. How do we see all players online in a group? Seems the display is limited to 12.
  2. A couple of malfunctions in the tournament handling department: first, when we delete a player, the system takes us back to page 1 instead of the one we're on at the time; second: during registration, when we try to open a player's home page the system doesn't do it, but just reopens the tournament page itself.
  3. Posting generally: I regularly find I have to left click 3 times before the system responds and accepts what I'm typing.
  4. Bullet points / numbers are disappearing from sent messages
saksipotku

And here's still one issue: when you put your cursor over a player's name, it should show some information about him/her, precisely last online, points, rating, and trophy showcase. I think these should all be neatly in a white square that opens above your cursor. However, at least with my Internet Explorer, the left hand side information lacks correct alignment, goes all messy, and is displayed below the white box, while the right hand side information is in the box just as it should be.

JPatSoCal

I have only two issues with the new design:

1)  Tactics Trainer will fail to acknowledge my move about 1 in ten tactics. I make a move and 'nothing happens', but the board is now frozen.  I have no way to end the tactic except to restart the trainer, losing the last tactic.  This seems primarily to be the case when I make my move very quickly...which is the point.

2) Going through an analyzed game is much more choppy than it used to be.  Often I will click on the next move, only to click again a second later because I thought I missed it.  Another second and 'bang-bang' the analysis makes two moves...now I have to click back,which often 'sticks' as well.  This problem did not exist in the prior version.

These two issues are very frustrating, the rest of the changes seem fine.

brusselsshrek

In the old design I don't remember a single case where Tactics Trainer did not have the "View Analysis & Source" page. I have now checked my most recent 20 or so problems, and none of them has it.

Can someone name a problem where the analysis IS there?

saksipotku wrote:

No, brusselsshrek, each tactics trainer problem has never had a View Analysis & Source page, if that's what you mean. I think that at least out of those problems that I face, about 70% had that page in the old design, and about 70% still do.

saksipotku

Here: the ID of the problem is 0037928 

But you see the Analysis & Source only if you actually do the problem. So, you need to first click "Try this problem", when you can do it in practice mode. There should be an Analysis & Source link on the right hand side after you either solve or fail the problem.

saksipotku

JPatSoCal:

I agree with both of your points. I have not recently faced a tactics trainer problem where the whole thing would freeze, though, it just sometimes takes 5-10 seconds for the tactic to respond. However, I am not in the habit of responding immediately (in fractions of a second) either, because I do have memories of the whole thing getting stuck then.

And about going through analyzed games, I've also faced that click forward->lag->another click->displays two moves->back, but another thing that I don't like is that when the game is long and there is a scroll bar on the right, the bar always jumps back to the top after I play the game forward. This means that I can't see the move list nor the possible variations that there are if I'm playing through the end of a long game.

chessplayer11
JPatSoCal wrote:

I have only two issues with the new design:

1)  Tactics Trainer will fail to acknowledge my move about 1 in ten tactics. I make a move and 'nothing happens', but the board is now frozen.  I have no way to end the tactic except to restart the trainer, losing the last tactic.  This seems primarily to be the case when I make my move very quickly...which is the point.

2) Going through an analyzed game is much more choppy than it used to be.  Often I will click on the next move, only to click again a second later because I thought I missed it.  Another second and 'bang-bang' the analysis makes two moves...now I have to click back,which often 'sticks' as well.  This problem did not exist in the prior version.

These two issues are very frustrating, the rest of the changes seem fine.

These two problems existed for me in the last version. A long time ago it worked fine, and then they made a change. After that If I made a move too quickly it would freeze up, so I now pause a bit after the computer makes its move.

As far as this issue is for me, it's just as buggy as it was before.

MDOC777
erik wrote:

Today was a wild day. The biggest change to Chess.com we've had in 5 years. You can read more about my thoughts here: http://www.chess.com/news/big-change-today-6465

Anyway, all day we've been reading feedback, answering questions, and working with our members on bugs. You have been VERY helpful - thank you!!

Erik

First time I saw this.  I don't know if this was fixed, but the change messed up the rendering in IE.  Here's an example image captured after the upgrade:

chessplayer11
brusselsshrek wrote:

In the old design I don't remember a single case where Tactics Trainer did not have the "View Analysis & Source" page. I have now checked my most recent 20 or so problems, and none of them has it.

Most problems have this after you solve it.

Analysis & Source

The new format has it only show up sometimes, which is weird, whereas before the link was always there. Not all of the problems had a Analysis & Source. And some only had the analysis, usually older games from years back.

http://www.chess.com/tactics/server.html?id=34468
http://www.chess.com/tactics/view_source.html?id=34468&t=1212783703

DeepGreene
brusselsshrek wrote:

saksipotku wrote:

Like I said above (or in a different thread?), open up the Analysis Board. We've integrated the analysis data there so you can play it out as you read it.

Fantasto

Under LEARN / Game Explorer: why is it that the ECO codes drop off so quickly? Here's an example from the Petroff: 1. e4  e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 Qe7, and already there's no code being displayed!!