Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
ilmago

CBA wrote:

The easiest way round this problem will be for me to avoid live chess. Done.

People may just as well start to use live chess extensively in order to play many games with strange misleading crap openings cluttering up their more important Online Chess game statistics...

Putting live chess games together with Online Chess games (while changing the information displayed in their game titles) has made games much harder to view in the normal player profiles. Doing the same for game explorer is going to hide essential information even more.

A conscious contribution by chess.com for better player anonymity? Or just a technical database decision that happens to make viewing games harder? ...

CerebralAssassin

oh man this is HUGE...u guys are incorporating live games into Explorer?!can't wait lol.....Laughing (just don't mix the live games with the CC stats though)

Skipp

Why in the world would anyone want to combine Live games with cc games in explorer? Many (most??) use live chess to try out new ideas; opening lines, etc. These should be kept in a separate Explorer DB. Unbelievable how this site keeps getting more and more messed up and confusing.

OldHastonian
Skipp wrote:

Why in the world would anyone want to combine Live games with cc games in explorer? Many (most??) use live chess to try out new ideas; opening lines, etc. These should be kept in a separate Explorer DB. Unbelievable how this site keeps getting more and more messed up and confusing.

Totally agree, chess.com seems to be imploding rather than evolving gradually, like normal successful websites.

CerebralAssassin
Skipp wrote:

did I say I want them combined?! read my post again.all I said was just to input live games in explorer as a separate entity....some of us here take live more seriously than CC.

OldHastonian
CBA wrote:

Like I said, no one asks.

You're correct, so many disappointed customers...yet I can't see the agenda, but presumably there is one...

Naakija

Games Analysis is BACK !!!   Surprised  Thx.

Individual Explorer isn´t. I´ll have to rest my games till next Friday.

Vacation time !  I wonder, if Chess.com would charge me this 5 days.   Wink

Fantasto

Posting notes

There seems to be a bug in this area. I tried 4 times to post the following note, each time carefully correcting the spacing for words which the system had run together. My input was letter and spacing perfect, but here's what the system produced:

"Australian Teens 2012entries, for playersrated 1300-1999, havenow reached 30, butthere's still roomfor YOU! So join inand meet some Aussieteammates: here's thelink:http://www.chess.com/tournament/australian-teens-2012"

I'm finding this running of words together happens almost every time ... Why is it so?

Naakija

Write Your notes in the Notes-Page, there the links works. Enough space.  Smile

RickWest

I just noticed the (friends) privacy settings are back, that's great.

chess_kebabs
Fantasto wrote:

Posting notes

There seems to be a bug in this area. I tried 4 times to post the following note, each time carefully correcting the spacing for words which the system had run together. My input was letter and spacing perfect, but here's what the system produced:

"Australian Teens 2012entries, for playersrated 1300-1999, havenow reached 30, butthere's still roomfor YOU! So join inand meet some Aussieteammates: here's thelink:http://www.chess.com/tournament/australian-teens-2012"

I'm finding this running of words together happens almost every time ... Why is it so?

The words run together Rex when you post a link.. it's obviously another bug.

Fantasto

Thanks Babs: like some of the others, I don't quite understand why!Smile

chessplayer11

It's not that it has a link. Actually any text that is over 30 characters long that has over 19 continuous characters without a space will cause it to add zero-width spaces throughout the html, causing the problem, I believe. It's in there so that when you write a long line, the line will continue at the next spot where it is in the html and a line break will occur there.
Usually a soft hyphen is used for regular text where you don't see the hyphen until it gets to a spot that needs it. For a very long word, it isn't a problem, but for a url link it will add a dash at the end of the line which could cause confusion for people reading the link. Put simply, is the hyphen part of the link, or it it just continuing to the next line?

Of course with both the soft hyphen and zero length width space there's the additional problem that when you copy the link and try to paste it in the url, even though you don't see the extra characters, it still adds them and your link won't work. For example it turns your link into
http://www.chess.com/tour%E2%80%8Bnament/australian-teens-2012

This is an often problem on youtube in comments as well that have links as they use a soft hyphen. I think they try to handle it by just blocking you from posting anything that looks like it has a link in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_space

himath2009
DeepGreene wrote:
himath2009 wrote:

I know, DeepGreene, I can see them in teams I am not a member of but I cannot see them in the teams I am a member... Very strange bug, this one!

Here's part of the right-hand side of a Group page where I'm a member: http://grab.by/dkAs 

Is that not showing for you - or are we talking about something different?

So, DeepGreene, here is the screenshot, as promised:

As you can see (red arrow) the “In Progress” counter for Team Matches is missing. By contrast, the Team Vote counter (blue arrow) is there. The same thing exactly shows on the link you provided – you are a member of Team Canada and you cannot see the no. of matches in progress, only the vote ones.

This bug affects all the Team pages I am a member of, irrespective whether I am admin or not. (Thank you Aidan for your input # 832, but you can only see the Power of Chess counter because you are not a member of that group). By contrast, I can see the counter of every other team I do not belong to. Not very helpful, is it?

Perhaps this problem is of no concern to 99% of members, but it should be fixed. At Team Hellas we are running something like 100+ matches right now and I absolutely need to know how much that "+" is: is it 105 or 195 - I have no idea of how heavy our players schedule is at the moment.

Finally, something that might be of help to your programmers: last week, right after one of your site improvements shutdowns - the ones you run at around 8 o’clock in the morning (my time, GMT+2) – when you came back online the counter suddenly appeared! But after a couple of hours or so it disappeared againL.

If this is a bug that hates admins, wants to make their life impossible, its doing a lovely job, I sympathize with it - but, please, do get rid of the little bugger!...   

DeepGreene

@himath2009 - Agreed! We have a ticket in play now to add the matches in progress data there.

@gutartas - We're currently planning to make the analysis text scroll independently of the board; making the moves or lines themselves act as "links" to directly affect the positions shown on the board is further out.

himath2009

Thank you, DeepGreene!

YallPlayCheckers

I like it!

netzach

Like what ?

Naakija

Is the YouTube Option OFF now ???   Undecided

Naakija

420 x 315