Forums

Players not acting like their rating?

Sort:
Anonymous_U

I was the white pieces.

That guy clearly was not playing like a 1400+ person.  I have played other people that are acting lower than their rating as well.  I played someone rated 1300, plays King's Gambit... gets owned by my queen!  

Played someone rated 1200, brought his queen out early and tried to "fool mate" me.  Seriously...

Is it just me, or are people doing bad.  I have been owning lots of people on this site in the Class D to lower Class C range here.

netzach

Human-beings can be inconsistent & sometimes play like patzers.

Look at Gelfand's Q-trap vs Anand.

Those that do not are usually chess-engines :))

adamplenty

I certainly haven't been playing like my rating of 969 lately, more like 69!Smile

Zen

A player's performance in live chess will probably vary quite a bit depending on mood, tiredness, opening played, etc. Ratings don't tell the whole truth.

TonyH

ya ratings are just a mean, (average) players can be +/- 200 points based on many factors. also ratings here are really screwy because of the smaller sample size. FMs and NM here have ratings under 2200 which is bogus

Anonymous_U

See that!  Pathetic!  It's as if people aren't playing chess anymore.  By the way my rating is way underrated because I was beating a person rated 1488 and that's around what my rating should be, but the stupid thing didn't move my piece where I wanted it to go and.... yeah! 

But still, that guy was playing like he's rated 300.  Come on use some common sense!  

The opening I was using was the Sicillian Dragon by the way...

AnastasiaStyles

It does look a lot like he let his cat play for him.

DrSpudnik

If you look through my game collection, you will find the occasional derailment that makes it look like I was eating magic mushrooms or some such. It happens.

TonyH

your rating is where it should be right now. Everyones is if it was supposed to be higher you would be beating players high enough to reach that rating. part of playing an X rating is not making mistakes. 1 big mistake can make the difference playing like a 3000 player but falling for a mate in 1 still means you lost. thats the frustrating part of chess

Anonymous_U

No, it was technology's fault in one of my earlier games. I intended Qxd8 but the thing lagged and it did not put it there and I lost my queen. I was doing really well, up a piece because of tactical reasonswith someone rated 1488. But because of technology, I lost.

TonyH

mouse slips are part of the game and figured into the averages, ALL players suffer from them its part of the hazards of online play. so yes your 1200 rating is where you are supposed to be at. You might be better agaainst a player rated X but there are always excuses to lose. I was tired,.. the mouse slipped, phone rang, wife called me, internet dropped etc... Its OK! just let it go and move on instead of doing the woulda-shoulda-coulda dance.

trysts
Anonymous_U wrote:
See that!  Pathetic!  It's as if people aren't playing chess anymore.  By the way my rating is way underrated because I was beating a person rated 1488 and that's around what my rating should be, but the stupid thing didn't move my piece where I wanted it to go and.... yeah! 

But still, that guy was playing like he's rated 300.  Come on use some common sense!  

The opening I was using was the Sicillian Dragon by the way...

You're so conceited!Laughing

Ben_Dubuque

how bout this one, (actualy happened to me, and my oppoent refused my draw offer, so I just resigned to save my ass) Tornado

MrAudacity

Well. I was very tired a few days ago and took a break from Diablo 3 at 4 am or so to play chess and lost to a 1100 if that means anything.

:D