Forums

run out

Sort:
brian104ukk

hi can someone tell me what happens when all your vacation days are used up how do you get more or is that it for ever? does it start at the beginning of the year? please if you know then let me know.many thanks brian

erik
resets on Jan 1 each year.
brian104ukk
thanks eric your a pal
Loomis
So, if I have 1 month of vacation time now, I can go on vacation and stay on vacation and on Jan 1st, my vacation time goes back to 1 month, 9 days. Is that correct? And this is independent of how many days of vacation I have left on Jan 1? This seems to mean there is no reason for me not to be on vacation right now. Other than it leaves my opponent in a state of confusion about the game, which seems rude to do for no reason.
erik
Loomis wrote: So, if I have 1 month of vacation time now, I can go on vacation and stay on vacation and on Jan 1st, my vacation time goes back to 1 month, 9 days. Is that correct? And this is independent of how many days of vacation I have left on Jan 1? This seems to mean there is no reason for me not to be on vacation right now. Other than it leaves my opponent in a state of confusion about the game, which seems rude to do for no reason.

yep. and there is nothing to stop you from spitting on a child in a stroller either. :) you choose.

Loomis

I think if I spit on a child in a stroller I would get in trouble with the authorities, since it is illegal (at least in the US, spitting on anyone is assault).

It's one thing to say "those are the rules." But you're the dude who makes the rules. I suppose I should have been more clear in my original post. There's nothing to keep anyone from burning their vacation time at the end of the year whether they need to or not. The rules could be written to make this less likely, e.g. you start out with 2 weeks vacation and for every week that passes you get an additional 1 day that expires in one year, total vacation time accumulated not to exceed 40 days. Make up whatever numbers seem more fair to you.

sirsc

One would think we players could regualte ourselves.  The last thing we need is micromanagment.  I get enough of that from the vacation policy at work.

Loomis
I would hardly call what I suggested micromanagement. I think any population will, to some extent, play to the boundaries of the rules for their benefit. For the same reason, vacation time isn't unlimited. But whose to say the current limitation is the right one? I think that given the end of the year oddity the current system creates, a system without such effects might be better. But when you take your vacations is not restricted by what I said, so I wouldn't say the users are any more micromanaged by the admins than they are now.
JuliusH
Maybe I'm wrong (and this is something that should be said in many posts) but this is after all, online chess.
Loomis

It may be a surprise, but people can be just as petty in terms of playing any angle available when it comes to online chess as they are in other parts of their lives. I stand by my statment that to some extent people will play to the boundaries of the rules, even in online chess. So, I think it's worthwhile to ask if those boundaries are set in just the right place. If it's not an issue, it's not an issue. It just occured to me that it might be. So, it might be worth discussing rather than dismissing.
sirsc
If you're running into issues with people abusing the present policies, you can choose not to play against them again.  The game will be finished eventually, and you might learn to better screen your opponents.  It would be hard for anyone to make a legitimate case against someone for abusing a feature that everyone has access to use as they see fit, and enforce it from across the country or world.  You have the same amount of time as your opponent to study the game in progress and strategize for the future, so I am not sure how this "abuse" could give either player and advantage
Loomis

I never said anybody was abusing the system or gaining an advantage on their opponent. I did imply it would be rude to go on vacation indefinitely for no other reason than the vacation days will expire so there is no drawback to doing so. Erik seemed to agree with me on that (or I misinterpreted the comparison to spitting on babies).

Since we're in agreement that it would be rude (well, you can still disagree if you like), and I believe people will take advantage of it if they realize they can, I simply wondered if it wasn't better to make the policy slightly different so that this feature is removed. Notice that what I said doesn't reduce the total number of vacation days a player gets (in fact, it would probably be slightly increased in most cases), it just alters a little how they expire. So there really isn't any new restriction or micromanagement of how players take vacation, except in the end of year use it or lose it case. 

sirsc
Then I agree that we are in agreement.  It would be rude for that hypothtical situation to arise, and it is best that we spent our time analyzing the topic to the extent we did.  Good luck out there