Forums

The 2012 World Championship of Chess!

Sort:
Scottrf

Wouldn't he have played Nd7 to get to c5? Looks more like he's heading to b4, and I definitely feel comfortable challenging someone 1000 points above me.

keju
keju wrote:

According to GM Naiditsch, Anand is trying to maneouvre the knight to c5 square.

Which doesn't make any sense at all, because if you wanted to go from f6 to c5, you'd go to d7 first. But that's what Naiditsch said.

keju

His exact words (just before Anand played Nd5) were:

"what to do now for Black, to play 32...Kf8 or maybe to try a bit more active 32...Nd5 with the idea Nf4-Ne6-Nc5 ..."

Trysts might know what this means though. I'm baffled by these GMs.

keju
Scottrf wrote:

I definitely feel comfortable challenging someone 1000 points above me.

Man, when I play people just 200 points above me here on chess.com I get wiped out within 10 moves Frown

Scottrf

Well, that seems to be the move g3 was preventing, perhaps Nd7 lost somehow or he wanted to move there with a check along the way.

keju
Scottrf wrote:

Well, that seems to be the move g3 was preventing, perhaps Nd7 lost somehow or he wanted to move there with a check along the way.

Ya exactly, these subtleties are all lost upon me! I'd give quite a few hundred dollars to peer inside a GM's mind Smile

trysts
keju wrote:

His exact words (just before Anand played Nd5) were:

"what to do now for Black, to play 32...Kf8 or maybe to try a bit more active 32...Nd5 with the idea Nf4-Ne6-Nc5 ..."

Trysts might know what this means though. I'm baffled by these GMs.

If I was playing, it does look like a draw to me, just because I don't really see anything to do except get the kings to the center to assure a draw. I can't imagine that these gentlemen will make the type of huge mistake or two which would make the game decisive. But then again, I'm not very good.

keju

I really do think endgame mastery is the secret to being a strong player. Cos you then know what to be aiming for when you simplify a position down from the middlegame.

Michael-G
trysts wrote:
Michael-G wrote:

Anand is very well prepared in Slav.Gelfand should change his strategy or unleash a well -prepared novelty if he wants to have some chance for a win with white.

Gelfand has definitely shown that he is Anand's equal thus far. I tend to think that will put pressure on Anand to play riskier.

Certainly they are equal or about equal.But I don't understand what you mean when you say 

"I tend to think that will put pressure on Anand to play riskier."

Gelfand can't force Anand to play riskier if he doesn't play riskier.

p.s. It is possible that both believe that can take the title at rapid games so they won't risk.Maybe we will have the first World Chamionship match  in history won in rapid games.

keju

Ooh that's it then. Draw agreed.

trysts
keju wrote:

I really do think endgame mastery is the secret to being a strong player. Cos you then know what to be aiming for when you simplify a position down from the middlegame.

I totally agree.

trysts

Yes, It's a DRAW. Now the match is tied 2-2. Anand has the white pieces on Thursday's game five. It seemed like the easiest game they have played. 

keju

I'll try to study the Gruenfeld before Thursday! Innocent

trysts
Michael-G wrote:
trysts wrote:
Michael-G wrote:

Anand is very well prepared in Slav.Gelfand should change his strategy or unleash a well -prepared novelty if he wants to have some chance for a win with white.

Gelfand has definitely shown that he is Anand's equal thus far. I tend to think that will put pressure on Anand to play riskier.

Certainly they are equal or about equal.But I don't understand what you mean when you say 

"I tend to think that will put pressure on Anand to play riskier."

Gelfand can't force Anand to play riskier if he doesn't play riskier.

p.s. It is possible that both believe that can take the title at rapid games so they won't risk.Maybe we will have the first World Chamionship match  in history won in rapid games.

I mean with Anand's history of winning Gelfand, for him to have really very little chances of doing so thus far, it might confuse Anand a bit, putting more pressure on him to try something riskier against Gelfand.

But you could be right about them copying the candidates matches--rapid games.

trysts

Thank you again everyone for commenting, and making each game that much more pleasurable to watchSmile

keju

Thanks again Trysts and let's hope for an exciting, mind-boggling and decisive game on Thursday!

trysts
keju wrote:

Thanks again Trysts and let's hope for an exciting, mind-boggling and decisive game on Thursday!

YesLaughing

fabelhaft
Michael-G wrote:
Maybe we will have the first World Chamionship match  in history won in rapid games.

No, that was Kramnik vs Topalov in 2006 (if you don't count the FIDE title match Karpov vs Anand in 1998).

Scottrf

Great review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVgxDLoIiMQ#!

Krasnopuz
in Runet the most interesting and qualitative analyses of parties of the match
from S. Shipov

http://crestbook.com/

latest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzZXEiwCVd0