Forums

The 2012 World Championship of Chess!

Sort:
RealDarren

Anand (black) abandons.    (7th game)

Conlude this game the you budding grandmasters:

Could somebody please finish this game off for me for white.

Gefland wins by the way and he's playing as white.

All_ways_winner

RealDarren

Ng6+ Kg8 Rg7#

-waller-

Yeah the best defence was Rh1+ followed by e1=Q or R+ it doesn't matter and then saccing for the knight on f5. But after ...e1=Q+ its simply forced Ng6+ Kg8 Rg7#

gabrielconroy

Gelfand played a great positional game. Anand's ...Rab8 showed how cramped he was feeling, and ...Ne4 was already starting to take risks in an attempt to gain some activity. ...g5? was fitting within this context.

RealDarren

Now that was a real world title game, I'm finally impressed with this face to face.

(and thanks "All Ways Winner")

Conquistador

Anand pushed too hard on this game.  He should have settled for a draw.  We need more drawn games.

fabelhaft

It's funny, at Chessgames.com Gelfand's recent stats since his latest win against current top five plus Kasparov and Topalov looked like this before today's game against Anand:

Gelfand-Kasparov 0-13 (no win)

Gelfand-Anand 0-5 (since latest win in 1993)

Gelfand-Kramnik 0-4 (since latest win in 1996)

Gelfand-Topalov 0-3 (since latest win in 1997)

Gelfand-Radjabov 0-4 (since only win in 2005)

Gelfand-Carlsen 0-2 (since only win in 2006)

Gelfand-Aronian 0-2 (since latest win in 2009)

Bad results for a possible World Champion, but of course the stats against Anand changed with today's game, and suddenly his winning the title actually looks quite possible, and to me that would be the biggest sensation ever in a title match.

loved

I've enjoyed reading the comments in this thread. Trysts, thanks for posting the win with annotations. I still think Anand can win the match. He will maybe find ways to lure Gelfand into what looks like drawish positions, then spring winning attacks. Something like what Capablanca did against Rubinstein in Berlin, 1928, when Rubinstein (with the Black pieces) accepted an isolated d pawn early in the game. After 44 moves, Akiba had had enough. Go Vishy! You can do it!

shequan
keju wrote:

note how they are encased in a glass box, probably sound proof. people don't think little things affect chess play or should, but they can and do.

mapearson1990

Thanks for the link Iron Butterfly. Was having trouble finding it

talkon
dinosaurhunter8

However much I would like to see Anand stage a stunning comeback, I don't think he has it in him anymore.  He has looked pretty lacklustre so far, and the loss has obviously shaken him psychologically (based on his demeanor in the press conference).  Of course he's a professional, and he has been beaten before, so hopefully he will move on quickly, and be mentally fit for today's game.

I hope Vishy proves me wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if game 7 were to be the only decisive game of the match.

jesterville

Enjoy today's game guys...I'm off the grid for the day...

trysts

GAME EIGHT

Good morning! It's going to be hard to top yesterday's game! After reading all the comments, I'm with those who think Anand will win Gelfand. There is going to be even more pressure on both players, so I don't expect to see the Houdini-like precision of the previous games. I'm quite excited about what Anand does with the white pieces. Anand gets to play the white pieces three times out of the next five games. 

I really appreciate all the comments. Very enjoyable to read, and reading them immediately gets my mind into the match each morning. Thank you everyone!Smile

keju

1. e4 or d4 I wonder ...

keju

No sweatshirt today. Vishy looks ready for a fight Smile

CerebralAssassin

is this a KID?!it looks like it

dashkee94

Nice move order, Boris!  Got Vishy thinking already, going Benoni on him.

trysts

The Benoni defence! I've been playing this very recently as black. It's very complex!

dashkee94

I love the Benoni.  Been playing it for years.  Go Bore-us!