Forums

Topic titles and search engine rankings

Sort:
frakilk
Hi, I notice that each forum post has an identical page title i.e.

"Forum Post - Chess.com"

This is a sure-fire way to get mundane search engine rankings for individual forum topics. Changing this to reflect the actual title of the current forum topic will bring in a lot more visitors from the search engines (especially Google).

Give it a try :D

// Frank

andy-inactive
You're absolutely right, I don't know how I ever missed that.. (erik you better read this thread :)
andy-inactive
"Chess" should probably always be the first word.. and then the title of the post... something like "Chess.com - ForumPostTitleHere".. that's how I'd do it anyway.
frakilk

There has been much debate as to whether the order of words has an effect on ranking for specific keyword searches. Personally I prefer topic title first and then an optonal site name for brandng purposes e.g. the title of this topic would read:

"Topic titles and search engine rankings - Chess.com"

andy-inactive
Yeah I see where you're coming from. Either one is far better than having "Forum Post - Chess.com" :) I just suggested having 'chess' first to ensure a future #1 ranking for chess in all search engines (currently #3 in Google), and any search terms with 'chess' in it.
erik
ummm. you guys are exactly right! and that is what jay SHOULD have done. what a..... an amazing developer ;) he just doesn't know seo. will be fixed!
jay
haha, I just do whatever Erik puts in his comps...because if I don't, he whines about how I didn't copy his html correctly! I'll change it up...thanks!
frakilk
Looks much better Cool
SonofPearl
Great idea frakilk.  Like most most good ideas, it seems obvious once some bright spark suggests it.  Thanks for being the spark!Smile
chesschesskid

lol, i am trying to find the oldest thread this is super old, just before i was born

m_connors

Another 2007 post resurrected by chesschesskid . . .

chesschesskid
m_connors wrote:

Another 2007 post resurrected by chesschesskid . . .

yup, basiccally what i am trying to do lol