1/12/2018 - Hans Cohn, 1940

DJRush_King

ok

K_Brown

It's not a simple win after 2...Kf1 

It is quite complicated because after 3.Qe7 comes g1=N and it is a pain to win. The black pieces will be put in zugzwang with proper play and white wins.

Grey_Goose

We had similar puzzle to this some time ago.   The Queen has to stop black from promoting and then move in for the kill when she gets a clear file.   Thx @BryanCFB for further explanation.

Nice endgame puzzle thx.

DJRush_King
RockySnow7 wrote:

White could have just moved 1.Kd2#, no?

No, because black would promote the G pawn to queen!

Apo793

K e2# its so simple why 10 movesbk.pngbk.pngbk.png#

K_Brown

I agree that there are way more complicated endgames. 

The puzzle would be way better after 2...Kf1 in my opinion. It's a pity that people aren't being exposed to the heart of the position and the rather fascinating zugzwang theme. This is just letting people win against second rate moves and just bad practice in general.

Terrible puzzle today...

Mimimax

Zick Zack

obborg

isn't this mate in one?  Ke2

K_Brown
chessicAngel wrote:

Indeed. But there are two possible moves to bring the queen to the e-file, and chess.com can only handle unique solutions...

I guess that is true. I personally would rather complain about more than one right move instead of the computer blundering at least 4 times though.

Instead of that though, the trend is people mistaking this for a weak back rank puzzle which is the worst possible conclusion. 

PatrickinParis

i dont understand. just moving white king was enough to échec et mat no?

pikachupocky

up n down the wq.png went

hjx2305

good one

znsprdx

an old ches's'nut  

8/8/8/8/8/8/6pp/Q2K3k w - - 0 1     BTW  original Forsyth notation  48/6pp/Q2K3k

reminds me: never gamble on a chess position grin.png......

Yazgur

Very good!

MangoGid

gp

Luregold

I dont get it. Why dont you just move the king?

Shannon_number

happy.png queen walk. However, Kf1 at almost any point offers more resistance for black than merely shuffling back and forth.

ska32com

красиво

Sovienrug37

potassium (k)

Shannon_number
Luregold wrote:

I dont get it. Why dont you just move the king?

If you mean a move such as 1 Ke2+, black plays g1Q.