x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

1/15/2018 - Creative Ways To Draw

daggaz wrote:

This is poorly done.  It accepts a promotion to bishop but not to queen.  That is just wrong. 

You want the bishop so that after you move the rook on G8 the bishop is pinned. If you got a queen it would be able to capture the rook on H8  Then you can continuously check with the rook that is on G8. If black captures the rook then it is stalemate.

sasoaksns12345 wrote:

This puzzle has a mistake. After p

romotion why can't black play rc7

A nice observation but it doesn't affect white. You just continue with Rg2+. Neither the white king or bishop can move, and black cannot stop stop the continued checks.

peterkonc wrote:

Perhaps I'm blind again. Why would I exchange for bishop if I can have queen? Also if I would be black, why not to Kxg4? Can someone explain to me?

The idea of this puzzle (as white) is to reach stalemate.

If you exchange for a queen then the queen can capture black's h8 rook, followed by Qh8#
    1. b8=B+ Kh3 2. Rg3+ Kh4 3. Rg4+ Kxg4 3.Qxh8 Qxh8#
    But when you have a bishop and Kxg4 then its stalemate.

1. b8=B+ Kh3 2. Rg3+ Kh4 3. Rg4+ Kxg4  1/2-1/2

grin.pngevil.png

e-mood wrote:
    human_robot wrote:

Wow!!!!  That was a lot of fun!! 

(I think!  Lol!!!)

does a robot know what fun is...?

Yes!!  If it's half human it does!!

solved

Ok

#18 2 days ago

Hello darkness my old friend.-Name that song.

Sound of Silence. Simon and Garfunkel. Do I get a prize? The puzzle really is eye opening.

I looked at the analysis, black should have won
    OMG SO MANY QUESTIONS, CAN’t you just do the game analysis?

cry.png

jerry_yao wrote:
    OMG SO MANY QUESTIONS, CAN’t you just do the game analysis?

Chess.com makes it very easy for you to use Stockfish to analyse any position. See this thread for instructions.

What happens after say white promotes to a Queen and gives check, Kh1 (not Kh3 as that would allow white queen in to mate with Qc8+ Kh2 (forced), Qc2+, Kh3, Qg2+, and Qg5 mate shortly after), White plays maybe Qe8 isn't black still short one tempo needing to play Qb2 (Qb1 is mate in 3 for white), or Qg7 which both threaten Qb7 and mate, either one letting White Queen in for perpetual checks? Actually Qb2 from black even leads to mate for White after Qe4 Kh2 Qf4 Kh1 Qf1 Kh2 Qg1 Kh3...

I feel like I'm missing something important otherwise this wouldn't be a draw puzzle right? Either way it's interesting I think 

UJ_Dan wrote:

What happens after say white promotes to a Queen and gives check, Kh1 (not Kh3 as that would allow white queen in to mate with Qc8+ Kh2 (forced), Qc2+, Kh3, Qg2+, and Qg5 mate shortly after), White plays maybe Qe8 isn't black still short one tempo...

After 1.b8(Q)+ Kh1, White is doomed because there's no good check. 2.Qe8 fails to 2...Rxg8 3.Qxg8 Rh8. 

むむ。

hello points

Nice ending with knight and king only.

thumbup.png

Online Now