10/11/2011 - Kortchnoi-Gutman, Wijk aan Zee 1987

dposey

Good one!

mcshahb

ok i bet on first page everyone taught the pawn will eat knight and queen checkmate king support by pawn...... besides this i dont see anything to discuss. 

Twobit

Pizzacake

Cossack_Man
Saumilnair wrote:

White's pieces are clustered menacingly around black's king but if black's king moves it would be a check! so enjoy this puzzle this is mate in 2

Maybe it's my computer, but I've tried every move possible with every piece, and apparently none of them is the right one.  Would you mind posting the move sequence please?  Thanks.

sighbeerguy

Boris, the pigmy peppered corydorus catfish in my aquarium solved this 'problem'.

hectorm24

hectorm24
hectorm24 wrote:

Well there's another variation for the Nf5 move... And black takes the game by checkmate

walidwd

easy

Cossack_Man
hectorm24 wrote:

No, you missed it, the Queen would move to H5 instead of taking with the pawn.  This is checkmate, the king cannot escape the queen's check, and the pawn protects the queen.

pbazan

Nice

xray

fun puzzle & hello to Ruslion 

akiva19

actually the finnish was nf5+ gxf5 qh5# http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1083159

cfrench49

Good one.

awolff01

a better puzzle would have been knight to F5, xf5,Qxh5 checkmate. Sorry if my notation is all wrong but u get the picture.

deepakmg

easy one

notwutiwantd

why doesnt the pawn get the knight?

davidandrew

the king move is not usual.

notwutiwantd

oh. got it.

ocmn6

with the verge of defeat white managed a win!!! amazing...

shahronakm

Good one.