10/13/2012 - Muratov - Janovsky, Russia, 1968

eddysallin

O.k. one more time....nc8,nd5,qb4+(this prevents pf6)...if nxq,rook mates     if k.e8 ,rxn(attacking blacks q. and stopping q.from moving to a black square and helping e7 mate) so pxr or q. to g6,h6 allows qe7 Mate ...if black does neither-rd8 mate.  ...if-same seq. and black plays k.g8  after rxn,pf6, (black gives up n.& q.?) bb3+,qf7, rd8 mate-----there is no escape !    WELL DONE,excellent puzzle. 

sleepy40

Great puzzle! Didn't come anywhere close to solving this.

ilovechess234

best puzzle i've seen yet...

vanhafford

Francois-Andre Danican Philidor 9/7/1726 - 8/31/1795 a French Chess Grandmaster Legacy is The Smothered Mate!  The Smothered Mate is a common method of Checkmating the King.  It occurs whenever a Knight checkmates a King that is smothered (surrounded) by his friendly pieces and he The King; has nowhere to move nor is there anyway to capture the Knight!  Overall in the position; An ole' Queen Sacrifice leading to a Smothered Mate!  Thanks for the lesson.  Chess.com is the Best!

ChessSmart_82

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.Tongue Out

tanmay_chakrabarti

good one indeed.

xray

very nice again......

Et186

I don't think I would have come up with that or even moved the way that black moved.  #feelingdumb

Horcrux07

some kind of venus flytrap position

darlochessenthusiast

What a fantastic puzzle!

bhanuchander

very nice one

vijaychandigarh

amazing dispay of chess play...loved the way king got punished

ishuster86

good

meeguel

muratov goin off