10/13/2012 - Muratov - Janovsky, Russia, 1968

  • #141

    B-)

  • #142

    The knight and queen could have been captured long before the first check was placed!!! And I do know what a double check is, I just didn't see that it was a double check.

  • #143

    why didnt black take that darn knight?

  • #144

    What if black plays f6?? Doesn't look like forced mate...

  • #145

    One of the nicest combinations to lead up to the smothered mate that I have ever seen.

  • #146
    jakester127 wrote:
    extremeblueness wrote:

    Why on earth is that first move even in there. Its a blunder, as the knight now becomes under attack by the rook, and a hanging piece. The rook is perfectly capable of moving, and I don't know why it doesn't. And why on earth does the queen move into attack? It could easily be captured on the next turn, as its hanging as well. Also, whites move with the rook could have been avoided altogether, and the end result would have been the same. Also, white's knight could have been captured in the move to g6, as it was hanging, and under attack by a pawn.

    Well, if the rook takes the knight on the first move, white plays Qd8+ followed by Rxd8# when black rook retakes.  As for the queen move, if black takes it with his knight, white plays Rd8#.  As for the knight move to g8, black was under check by the knight and the queen making it impossible to take the knight as he would still be under check by the queen.  That first move isn't a blunder as it leads to mate or a large material advantage for white.

    Just saw this. Sorry. And you still haven't addressed the queen question. Instead of moving out of check, black could have captured with the knight.

  • #147
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #148

    If black captures with knight, Qd8#. However, I think if black plays f6 then white won't be able to force mate.

  • #149

    I realized that. That's why I deleted the comment. But what if after Qb4, black captures the queen with the knight?

  • #150
    extremeblueness wrote:
    jakester127 wrote:
    extremeblueness wrote:

    Why on earth is that first move even in there. Its a blunder, as the knight now becomes under attack by the rook, and a hanging piece. The rook is perfectly capable of moving, and I don't know why it doesn't. And why on earth does the queen move into attack? It could easily be captured on the next turn, as its hanging as well. Also, whites move with the rook could have been avoided altogether, and the end result would have been the same. Also, white's knight could have been captured in the move to g6, as it was hanging, and under attack by a pawn.

    Well, if the rook takes the knight on the first move, white plays Qd8+ followed by Rxd8# when black rook retakes.  As for the queen move, if black takes it with his knight, white plays Rd8#.  As for the knight move to g8, black was under check by the knight and the queen making it impossible to take the knight as he would still be under check by the queen.  That first move isn't a blunder as it leads to mate or a large material advantage for white.

    Just saw this. Sorry. And you still haven't addressed the queen question. Instead of moving out of check, black could have captured with the knight.

    Sorry not asked from me but couldn't resist answering :), I think if black captures queen with knight then Rd8#, as black's king fleeing square is guarded by white knight.

  • #151

    Great puzzle!

  • #152

    hmm:)

  • #153
    for_love_of_game wrote:

    If black captures with knight, Qd8#. However, I think if black plays f6 then white won't be able to force mate.

    If black capture white Queen Qd8, White rook will checkmate the black king, and the game end.

  • #154

    Beautiful!! Great

  • #155

    Still could not understand clearly why ND5 and not QD5. this would have changes the scene to either draw or black win,

  • #156
    for_love_of_game wrote:
    extremeblueness wrote:
    jakester127 wrote:
    extremeblueness wrote:

    Why on earth is that first move even in there. Its a blunder, as the knight now becomes under attack by the rook, and a hanging piece. The rook is perfectly capable of moving, and I don't know why it doesn't. And why on earth does the queen move into attack? It could easily be captured on the next turn, as its hanging as well. Also, whites move with the rook could have been avoided altogether, and the end result would have been the same. Also, white's knight could have been captured in the move to g6, as it was hanging, and under attack by a pawn.

    Well, if the rook takes the knight on the first move, white plays Qd8+ followed by Rxd8# when black rook retakes.  As for the queen move, if black takes it with his knight, white plays Rd8#.  As for the knight move to g8, black was under check by the knight and the queen making it impossible to take the knight as he would still be under check by the queen.  That first move isn't a blunder as it leads to mate or a large material advantage for white.

    Just saw this. Sorry. And you still haven't addressed the queen question. Instead of moving out of check, black could have captured with the knight.

    Sorry not asked from me but couldn't resist answering :), I think if black captures queen with knight then Rd8#, as black's king fleeing square is guarded by white knight.

    Oh wow. So it was forced checkmate. Why do we have to have knights? They make everything confusing.

  • #157

    Superb move! I have to remember this play. Thanks for sharing. Lose the Queen, mate the King! :)

  • #158

    it has alot of erros in the game the qween sholud by dead

  • #159

    Brilliant finish.

  • #160

    if n.c8 can black make an escape through pf6 or pg6 ? help...

or Join

Online Now