Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

11/24/2017 - No Way Out

Wow!

むう。

TiMaT326 wrote:

How do these puzzles even make it out to the game??? The forced path is often pure garbage. The 11/24/2017 puzzle is a 2 moves checkmate...

Nvm I overlooked the black knight position, but it still makes no sense that White doesnt start with eating the rook with the King

Not only did you see a "two move checkmate" that wasn't there, but you fail to see the folly of white playing Kxe4 on his first move. This allows black to play Nc5 forking the K and R and black still has drawing chances.

The text moves allows white to exchange rooks and win the knight on move 5 with a won endgame.

good 1

white wins the knight

nice one happy.png

Lagomorph wrote:
    TiMaT326 wrote:

How do these puzzles even make it out to the game??? The forced path is often pure garbage. The 11/24/2017 puzzle is a 2 moves checkmate...

Nvm I overlooked the black knight position, but it still makes no sense that White doesnt start with eating the rook with the King

Not only did you see a "two move checkmate" that wasn't there, but you fail to see the folly of white playing Kxe4 on his first move. This allows black to play Nc5 forking the K and R and black still has drawing chances.

The text moves allows white to exchange rooks and win the knight on move 5 with a won endgame.

Jump to Conclusions

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqcz2RHjfVU

What type of puzzle is this?

avijit3001 wrote:

A chess puzzle

Top notch endgame puzzle today! 

Click https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_and_pawn_versus_king_endgame#Rook_pawn

for some clarification on when king vs. king and rook pawn/pawns is a draw.  If the opposing king can block the pawn/pawns it doesn't matter how many rook pawns the other side has.  Even six rook pawns cannot force the king to relinquish the key square!

And for a little fun not reallly having anything to do with today's puzzle, if you want to see six rook pawns check out this puzzle:  https://www.chess.com/forum/view/more-puzzles/7-5-15-inside-jersey-magazine-chess-mate-puzzle!

I was thinking:  1.  Nc6+ Ka8  2.  Rb8#  Should be a mate in 2 right?

So does that make it a draw ?

rylo262 wrote:

I was thinking:  1.  Nc6+ Ka8  2.  Rb8#  Should be a mate in 2 right?

Not quite.  Black survives with 2...Nxb8.

TiMaT326 wrote:

If white does that, black's knight can move to c5 that forks the king & rook

nice

StevenPatzer wrote:
    avijit3001 wrote:

A chess puzzle

A chess puzzle???  What the hay?

John 8:21

Disclaimer:  This is only a harmless Bible verse.  Once again, it is not necessary to actually read what it says.

Wow! That was a lot of fun! I especially liked at the end how there was no way out for black!

Online Now